It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death and Taxes Collide as Fatal Crashes Mount on IRS Filing Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Death and Taxes Collide as Fatal Crashes Mount on IRS Filing Day
By Nicole Ostrow - Apr 10, 2012 1:00 PM PT -- Bloomberg

Who says death and taxes don't go hand in hand.

According to a study, the car accident death rate rises significantly around the deadline date for filing U.S. tax returns !!

Not even electronic filing has affected the statistics on this alarming fact.

Death and taxes aren’t only certain, they also seem to share a same deadline in the U.S., according to a study that points to the role of stress in fatal accidents.

Deaths from traffic accidents around April 15, traditionally the last day to file individual income taxes in the U.S., rose 6 percent on average on each of the last 30 years of tax filing days compared with a day during the week prior and a week later, according to research published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Even allowing Americans to file their taxes electronically hasn’t negated the crash trend, lead researcher Donald Redelmeier said. The findings suggest stress, lack of sleep, alcohol use and less tolerance to other drivers on tax deadline day may contribute to an increase in deaths on the road, Redelmeier said.

Sounds like a psychological bombshell !!

I wonder if the unemployment rate causes similar problems ?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Paying taxes kills.

I was under the impression that was common knowledge.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
DANG! I misread you tittle to mean the IRS was going to have fatal crashes, like hackers, taking em down. So, I guess I still have pay.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The worst part about that stat, assuming it is because filers are rushing to mail, is that there is always a grace period.

The IRS isnt going to send out federal stormtroopers or audit you for mailing your return on the 16th, 17th or 18th.

Not yet anyway.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Luckily for the government once you die in your car crash your spose or beneficiaries still have to pay taxes on your earnings whether you're dead or not.

And then.. the Government gets even more lucky when they then tax your assets through the Death Tax.

Win win for the Government!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

WOW!

I think you just uncovered the great April 15th conspiracy of depopulation and stealing money!

top topics

join