It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Commodore founder Jack Tramiel dead at 83

page: 2
12
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Dr. Tramiel also developed the Atari ST's. They had the first Graphical User Interface that I can remember. Story goes that the owner of Microsoft stole it from him and used it to jumpstart microsoft with "Windows".




posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I grew up on Commodore machines, from the Vic-20, though the C-64 and then on to an Amiga 1000 and finally an Amiga 500 (which was actually an improvement over the 1000). Those two Amigas saw me through countless college papers and even more countless hours with video games like Dungeon Master, Defender of the Crown and many others.



posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
Dr. Tramiel also developed the Atari ST's. They had the first Graphical User Interface that I can remember. Story goes that the owner of Microsoft stole it from him and used it to jumpstart microsoft with "Windows".

Actually, the Apple Lisa was the first commercial computer with a GUI. Steve Jobs got the idea from the PARC Xerox labs, who developed it (though one was actually invented as early as 1969 by some other computer genius, with windows a mouse and all). Jobs was given a tour of the PARC lab, and when he saw the GUI he knew it was the future of computing. He went back to Apple and that day started the LISA program. The LISA was too expensive and failed, but the first Macintosh came out not too long after, basically an upgrade of the Lisa, but by then much cheaper as chip prices and stuff all fell.

Amigas and Macintoshes ran on the same Motorola processors and their operating systems were so alike that apparently some software could run on both or were extremely simple to port for a few of those early years. The Atari ST came out the same year as the Amiga (also with the same Motorola chips), one year after the Macintosh. Windows came a bit later to try and compete with Mac and Amiga.
edit on 4/10/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Load "So long Jack",8,1

[Return]
edit on 4/10/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC
 


Same here but the name was different on mine
R I P Jack

I believe the original graphics for Babylon 5 were done on a commodore



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000
reply to post by HomerinNC
 


Same here but the name was different on mine
R I P Jack

I believe the original graphics for Babylon 5 were done on a commodore

It was actually a bunch of Amigas and Macintoshes that were networked, but yeah.



posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
He definitely deserves recognition for Commodore and what he did with that Company to the world of Computers with the PET and C64.

Too bad he completely #ed up Atari with his boneheaded decisions and being a ruthless, money hungry businessman


Oh well, there are always two sides to every coin, so rest in peace.



Originally posted by LifeInDeath
I grew up on Commodore machines, from the Vic-20, though the C-64 and then on to an Amiga 1000 and finally an Amiga 500 (which was actually an improvement over the 1000). Those two Amigas saw me through countless college papers and even more countless hours with video games like Dungeon Master, Defender of the Crown and many others.


Though Tramiel had nothing to do with the Amiga line of computers. He sold Commodore in 1984.



new topics

top topics



 
12
<< 1   >>

log in

join