It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Master Card hacked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This morning, I tried to make an online purchase, only to have my card declined. I checked my account and all looked well, so I tried the transaction again and got the same results. I called customer service about my account and was told that my account is in good standing and there was no problem on my end, but there is a "known problem" with Master Card today that they were working to resolve. The customer service rep couldn't give me an estimated time in which everything would be functional again, but I was told it should be "soon."

I checked around with a few people I know and one of my friends who works in a small town bank told me the bank employees had been informed that Master Card had been hacked and many people had fraudulent charges on their accounts and many who used their debit cards to pay their Master Card bill had funds missing from their checking accounts. I haven't had that problem myself *knock on wood* but I was wondering if anyone else in here is having issues.

Honestly, if this was a major problem, I would expect it to be plastered all over ATS right now, but I haven't seen it. People tend to get freaked out about not being able to access their money, so this must not be widespread.

So, the point of this post... Anybody else had problems? Sorry I don't have any links or info to link to. I'm just going by what I heard. I haven't tried to use my card since earlier today so I'm not sure if my card is functional again or not. I did a few online searches and couldn't come up with anything. Can anyone confirm that Master Card isn't working?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It was posted several times when the news came to light 2 weeks ago.

One example
edit on 10-4-2012 by 1ibl2ibs because: added link

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 1ibl2ibs

Thanks. I saw that Master Card information had been breached but was wondering if anyone was having trouble actually using their cards.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Just sounds like all M/C have been red flagged due to the recent hack!

A major pain in the # for consumers of your type.

You are insured through them as well. I would not worry about it.

If M/C told you that you are good... you are good to go.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It is possible that some card issuers are in the process of replacing cards ASAP en masse. However, they normally send out a quick letter telling you it will be happening. Due to the size and scope of the breach, they may be erring on the side of speed instead of customer service.
edit on 10-4-2012 by 1ibl2ibs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by 1ibl2ibs

Thanks. I saw that Master Card information had been breached but was wondering if anyone was having trouble actually using their cards.

Haven't used credit cards in decades.

I live by the C.R.E.A.M. rule.

I pay cash for everything.

Sorry, I would not know.

edit on 10-4-2012 by HermesTrismegistus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yes. Several weeks ago both MC and Visa were hacked in the MILLIONS of accts. You can locate the info online...sorry I dont have the links.

top topics

join