It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers steal hundreds of thousands of Social Security numbers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
you got Joe Q surrounded by bank examiners and attorneys engulfed in mountains of paperwork in feeble attempts to repair catastrophic damage done to their credit and good name. The only person that loses in all of this is the victim, but the lawyers, bankers, and cyber thieves are laughing all the way to the bank on the dime of someone else. These government entities and businesses best get their act together, because if it were me I would be raising hell!

to top it off, Credit Reporting Bureas are working for the businesses, not the consumers. so there's alot of red tape to try and clear up fraudulent activity.

i have written them (Experian, Transunion, Equifax) dozens of times over the years pointing out errors clearly, via Registered mail... but every year i check my reports, they still havent removed the extra names, addresses, dates of birth, employers. spouses, that show up under 'consumer profile'.

collectors use this info to garnish salaries and freeze bank accounts, and i've heard horror stories of the wrong bank account being frozen based solely on SSN attached to a debt (name doesnt matter anymore apparently) and one must go thru the local court to get court order appealed, even if its not a court order in your name. as long as someone has used your SSN in any way, its CRAZY the damage they can cause and most go unpunished because its often behind the anonymity of the interenet these id thefts hide.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Age of technology. You can ring up thousands of dollars of bills and not spend a dime. It then takes a lawyer and all your savings to clear your name and your credit is still trash. Maybe the people selling the credit insurance are stealing peoples numbers so they can put fear into people. That way you have to buy their service. I'm not sure what's going on. everyone is trying to swindle everyone out of money even if they have none. I thought religion tried to keep people from stealing from others. Oh that's right, religion is on a downswing and morals are disappearing. Never mind, I'm living in the past again.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

New religions have science fiction writers as their god.
Scientology = L Ron Hubbard
Objectivism = Ayn Rand

Or you can go the with that other one that used a conman with a criminal record to back it.

Mormonism = Joseph Smith, Jr.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join