It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 Titanic-related records are published online (today)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

200,000 Titanic-related records are published online (today)

www.bbc.co.uk

More than 200,000 records relating to the Titanic have been published online to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking on 15 April.
The documents provide information about survivors and the 1,500 people who died, including a number of wills and hundreds of coroner inquest files.
The collection has been gathered by the subscription-based family history website Ancestry.co.uk.
However, access to the Titanic records collection is free until 31 May 2012.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Some are buried in Halifax. The Halifax Connection
www.halifax.ca
And among the dead was an unidentified child whose identity remained a mystery for 90 years
www.thespec.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Titanic was the Olympic.
Was the Titanic an Insurance scam?
The Titanic – An In-Depth Look
edit on 10-4-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
For those interested in all things Titanic, this freebie is well appreciated. Among the docs is the last will and testament of the ship's captain, Edward John Smith. The collection also lists the official passenger list that shows age, and occupations of everyone on board, plus the nationalities and addresses of the crew which numbered more than 900.

For those who want more proof of a conspiracy that the Olympia was really the name of the ship that went down, I don't know if the documents will provide any evidence to corroborate the switched ship theory, but it will be fun to search through the databases as one never knows what little tidbits can be discovered in there.

Suggestion: There is so much information there, and if you're like me, sometimes you just don't have enough time at the moment to see it all, even though the subject interests you. I will sometimes add a link to my Favorites list under a file I named 'Read Later' and on a dull ATS firehose day, I'll bring up that file and indulge in some good reading.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well, I sense a new advertising campagn and endless commercials for the Titanic museum just south of me in Branson. I don't know how much else this is for interest outside of historians. Now I wonder how much is there for them? I suppose Titanic did carry a wide variety of very interesting people given that it was the 'Concorde' of it's time for absolute 1st class travel. I take it back....those records could be interesting in a trivia way for the average person. Perhaps I will check it out.

I still say the full on TV blitz for the museum is a given though. Between the new movie and all the new material.. Oh Brother.. We locals will wish Branson just hit an iceburg and sunk by the end of this season.

edit on 10-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I saw an interview this morning with a scientist who says that they've discovered new bacteria that feed on the ship itself. In the pictures of the wreck, what appears to be strands of grapes are the actual strings of bacteria. She said that at this rate of deterioration, there will be nothing left of it in twenty years.

No doubt that there will be a media campaign to promote the museum near you. While no one wants to buy into a frenzy, there is a basic curiosity about life a century ago and the way people thought. Their letters etc are available for viewing, I believe.
edit on 10-4-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I'd heard something early on about the ship dissolving but I hadn't paid enough attention on the specifics of the wreck to hear it was being eaten in place. Nature is incredible...and I guess this is an interesting statement about finding other 'modern' era wrecks and the time limits that may exist to locate them.

I'm mixed about Titanic and I have been since seeing the modern movie and the way that made the depth of the real life tragedy more personal. On one hand, I really feel like it's hallowed ground as the grave of sooo many people. Much like the World War II wrecks around the oceans of the world.

On the other, this was one of the enduring mysteries of our modern times before they finally found it and then more mystery in confirming what, how, who and what-if's to go with it all on the sinking itself. I suppose for precisely the issue talked about in people not knowing Titanic was a real ship that so many aboard really died on, the harvesting of artifacts from the wreck site is a necessary thing.

Just a note though in my VERY personal opinion....but the Museum is tacky and $20 a head to walk in and see what I'm already so mixed about being showcased in a tourist trap to begin with is too much.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Very cool. This is a wonderful thing with so much new information.
It's sad that such a wealth of information had to wait for the 100th anniversary to be collated and released, but, at least now we have it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I too have mixed feelings about it all. I distinctly remember that when the wreck was first located, there was much discussion about leaving it as a burial site and not desecrating it by pilfering it for But people did go down and take stuff. I watched an interview three days ago about some items that very clearly belonged to a family, yet the items are to go to a museum.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I suggest that we are purposely being presented with enough information to uncover
and expose the truth behind the myth and/or official narrative of the titanic and its demise.

I believe the good guys and gals are fighting back, and winning!
The truth must out!

I look forward to seeing what evidence for my above confidence can
be uncovered in these documents.

Look out for more new information published/released on other controversial incidents
from the past (moon landings, 9/11 etc.).

Exciting times! IMO.
edit on 10-4-2012 by pshea38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Your optimism is almost contagious.
..almost

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
At least in the Orlando museum, they have a replica of the grand staircase. Great photo op. My wife and I were always fascinated by the story of the Titanic, even prior to the movie, but the movie really cemented it.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That staircase is a beauty. I saw a film about the museum a couple of nights ago and people have gone to a lot of trouble to tell its story and represent the tragedy.

Re the pic, thank you. Wish I'd taken it.

top topics

join