It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare, Unexplained Daytime Fireball Scorches Texas Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

A great ball of fire streaked across the Texas sky during the daytime last week, much to the surprise of thousands of people who witnessed it. So bright that it looked "like a little piece of the sun falling," as one San Antonio resident told the local news station, the rare daytime meteor event was yet another example of the scientific mystery known as spring fireball season.

Now not to worry there is nothing to be frightened about, it was just a daytime Meteor. According to NASA around the start of Spring there is a huge influx in the number of daytime Meteors that are spotted.

According to NASA, 30 years of observations show that there's a consistent uptick in the number of fireballs — meteors that glow brighter than the planets as they scorch through Earth's atmosphere — during the spring compared with other times of the year.

According the NASA the months with the most are February and the end of March and early April.

The approximately 1,800 meteor events recorded by the camera network so far indicate that the spring fireballs probably originate fromasteroids, while fall meteors come from comets.

Scientist from NASA hope to collect enough data and evidence on the daytime "fireballs" to give a reason as to why there is such a influx during the Spring months.

Again the Universe is full of mysteries and this is just another one that is stumbling scientists as to its existance.

news.yahoo.com... -scorches-texas-sky-153009282.html

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Cool story but a daytime meteor is not "unexplained".

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If there is nothing to these fireballs why are they "still" classified?

Military Hush Space Rocks Now Classified.
www.space.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

Yahoo must think so.
2nd

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I think it is more the technology that detects the fireballs that they are worried about over the actual fireball/meteors.

Classified due to technical advantage is my guess.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Okay, the Yahoo link is broken.. OP, if you could find another I'd appreciate it? I have friends all around Texas I'd love to ask about this and have them ask around a bit for any more first hand details....but day, time and general area of the state would be important with a source link to follow along for them.

Maybe someone in the Astronomy side of things here can answer this, as the last post here seems to imply. Just how common ARE meteors visible in daylight? I'm thinking back and in 15 years of trucking..where I was obviously "outside" for daylight hours almost every day of that...I can't ever recall seeing one. Not in daylight? Of course the list of things I haven't seen in life would fill the Library of Congress....but it seems odd something like this is among them?

I don't suggest conspiracies or 'I didn't see it so it can't be'...just an innocent question tossed out...How common are they, really?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Good point. My mistake OP. Sorry about that.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sorry about that this one should be good, its the original story from LIVEsciene

www.livescience.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

Its not the fact of the daytime Meteor itself but why there is such a influx between February and April. They have been studying these for over 30 years and have noticed a increase between those months.

Thats where the mystery lies.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
why is it so hard to believe more fireballs will start randomly hitting us since there hasn't been as many for the past 30 years like you say?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
nevermind ... Im an idiot all over this thread apparently. I quit.
edit on 10-4-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

They have been studying the Daytime Meteors for 30 years and in those 30 years they have noticed a significant increase in the months from Feb-April.

Is that hard to understand. Its not there havent been a lot seen, its the infulx in those months. The fact is that not more are hitting us because the Earth is hit everyday by meteors, its just the increase in those months that is the mystery.

According to NASA, 30 years of observations show that there's a consistent uptick in the number of fireballs — meteors that glow brighter than the planets as they scorch through Earth's atmosphere — during the spring compared with other times of the year. "There are two peaks: one around February and the other at the end of March and early April," said Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "And this remains a mystery.

Im gunna say the NASA has been studying them for 30 years.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sucks that I missed it and I was outside all day getting my pool summer ready for the kids. I guess I should have should have been watching the sky instead of the dead leaves I was removing out of my pool. I'm in central Texas too

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Falling sky is not too far off if you consider Nitrogen flames and air being illuminated.
Those as sky components and can be set off by local agitation under pressure of
a falling object or a special craft using high electrical potential.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
In one day NASA has changed their tune and claims that the fireballs are contrails.

Mystery Fireball in Texas Actually Jet Contrails - Says NASA -

edit on 11-4-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
If there is nothing to these fireballs why are they "still" classified?

Military Hush Space Rocks Now Classified.
www.space.com...

They were classified because the satellites doing the observations of these fireballs had a primary mission of detecting nuclear detonations.

It's the whole entire satellite that is classified, not the fireballs they saw.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What!
No Video!
There must be some conspiracy going on here.
If you make a parrallel between the Pentagon on 911 (no video) and this fireball, one would expect there to be tons of video on this.

Viewable by millions of people.
People with video on their cell phones no less.

But no video on 911 is part of some conspiracy. Ha Ha!

new topics

top topics

join