It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sad isn't it.

Welcome to the idocracy!

ignorance is freedom - knowledge is slavery hrmmm

I dread the world my grandson will inherit assuming some 2012ish ELE doesn't get us all first

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by Juston

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

Our children no longer feel compelled to study history because... well, you and I are no longer young enough to know everything!

This is 1984 - stupidity is knowledge - ignorance is truth.

Who is more ignorant? He that believes a false narrative, or She who doesn't know to
believe at all?

History as taught is bunk!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

In the UK the dumbing down of the curriculum has been disguised: the government have been saying for years that they need to emphasise 'skills' rather than 'knowledge' since that is what employers want! What a load of BS!!

It's not working. They still can't make change from a dollar. They won't sweep a floor. They can't push buttons on a cash register. They can't check ages on ID's. Where's the skills?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I think these people are being judged harshly. The Titanic disaster, while interesting from a historical or academic perspective, is not information that makes any difference to the lives of a great majority of people alive today. Common knowledge about this event is trivial at best. My point is that there are far more pressing issues on the minds of everyday people....a century old shipwreck is the least of ones problems.

However, I am not surprised that younger folk are unaware of this event. The blame for that falls to the education system in this country(perhaps other countries as well).
edit on 10-4-2012 by My_Reality because: ERROR!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
You might be right. Since teachers are rewriting history now, what does it matter?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
An many wonder why we dont know how the pyramids were built or other ancient sites when these peeople have no knowledge outside the face book twiiter sphere.

This why the world is marked for a reboot. Too many people. No intelligence. No excuse considering how much knowledge google links to.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I stumbled across this video a few years ago. I remembered it since I was so upset with the dumbness surrounding me and had run a generic "Dumbing down of America" search. Give it a try some time, pretty sad if I must say so myself.

In a nut shell Charlotte Iserbyt who used to be a Senior Policy Advisor for Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), U.S. Department of Education, for Reagan's first term became a not so popular whistle blower. The video lays out a plan on how to dumb down the future generations.

Have a look see.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamreader
I stumbled across this video a few years ago. I remembered it since I was so upset with the dumbness surrounding me and had run a generic "Dumbing down of America" search. Give it a try some time, pretty sad if I must say so myself.

In a nut shell Charlotte Iserbyt who used to be a Senior Policy Advisor for Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI), U.S. Department of Education, for Reagan's first term became a not so popular whistle blower. The video lays out a plan on how to dumb down the future generations.

Have a look see.

Thanks for posting vid - it explains so much that needs to be understood as to why things are as they are

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

I agree. Judging by the pictures attached to these Status Updates, I can clearly see that they are young. Ironically enough, I have been a Titanic and general shipwreck buff for a long time. I visited the Titanic Refurbished exhibit twice. I just recently saw the movie, after 15 years of resistance. Reasons I held out for so long: I love Kate Winslet, and I didn't want to see the worst performance of her career (confirmed,) generally I thought all the hullabaloo was over inflated (confirmed,) and that song. That terrible, godforsaken, song. (confirmed.)

I would probably rather be on Titanic when she sunk than watch that movie again.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This post is a pointless ego trip.So what if they did not know, you would probably not even know about it if it was not for the movie. I am sure you do not know something that seems to be common knowledge. ITS NOT SMARTS ITS KNOWLEDGE!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Quick answer is - dumber the population the easier they are to manipulate and control. Look at what pol-pot did, killed everyone with any education. Look at what communist Russia did or NK does or China does - speak too loudly or disagree with the control structure and you get locked up or handily 'disappear' one day. This is just the western version. All about control... Believe me fellow ATS'rs people like us, people who ask questions, people who are intelligent, people who know history, people who speak up - in a future world you may find you become one of the disappeared...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Seriously though, ask around, ask your family and friends, ask young people, I bet the majority know the Titanic was real.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I saw "A Night To Remember" when I was young, with Clifton Webb. I was not in high school, so was less than 12 ...1950? That movie was about the Titanic.

The lastest movie was a romance with the Titanic as only a "background" to the History.

Recently I read an article that claims that the sister ship, Olympic, which had been in 3 major scrapes (accidents) and "listed to port" which couldn't be fixed, was the actual ship that sank, with Titanic overlapping the name Olympic. It is said that two letters of Titanic have fallen off, at the ocean bottom, and underneath are the letters M and P.

Nevertheless, the Sinking of the Titanic plays a pasrt in history, because it was buit by White Star Lines, in which J. P. Morgan was involved. It was 1912, and he was part and parcel of trying to pass the Federal Reserve Act.

John Jacob Astor was one of 3 rich men who disapproved of the Act, and this voyage was a set up for the murder of these 3 men.

The Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913,

WW1 was begun in 1914.

N.B. I thought I knew where I read this....but will post a link when I find it!

Meanwhile, Google might help me....and you!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
How many of you know what the Titanic was simply because there was a movie about it? The Titanic isn't touched for more than a paragraph in most history books. The Lusitania, however, is a ship that deserves a deal of attention. I would be more sad about someone not knowing about the Lusitania than I would them not knowing of the Titanic.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Orderamongchaos

What about the Hindenburg also
Maybe we can start a quiz

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster

Originally posted by stainlesssteelrat

So you know... some people really are THAT stupid.

Yup , and now they are all on twitter and facebook having a magical party in fairy land ........ i`m glad i deleted my accounts.

You guys/gals are really cracking me up in this thread.

Can't believe this stuff is true....
Nah I'm joking. I totally believe it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My Mother-in-law watches that movie over and over and over...then asks me..."Hey! Did you ever see this movie? Its really good!"

"Mom? It always ENDS the same way. They hit the ice and most of them die!"

I think she watches it over and over to see how it comes out in the end....she did that with "A CHRISTMAS STORY" too.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What's Facebook where can I buy a copy

edit on 10-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That is pretty messed up.

I rewatched Titanic and figured out Rose might have died at the end.

I watched it when I was younger but didn't pick up on that, maybe only the older audience did?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There's always someone. I remember back when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old, not long after Reagan became President, some news program did those man on the street interviews with people and asked who the President was and got tons of "I don't know" and "uhhhhhh, isn't it, like that Kennedy guy" type of responses.

This is nothing new, sadly. It's just that only 50% of the people can have an average or above average intelligence -- and intelligence tends to track with basic intellectual curiosity and thus general knowledge about things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join