posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
I got this warning in my E-mail at my work from the safety folks about some dude who stepped on a broken CFL bulb and almost lost his foot as a result
of mercury poisoning.
ENERGY SAVER GLOBE –MERCURY EXPOSURE
On the 10thFebruary 2011 the energy saver globe fused at the home of the IP. He did not wait for the globe to cool down, standing on a chair with a
piece of cloth and remove the energy saver globe. Due to the heat of the energy saver globe he dropped the globe. As the globe fell on the floor it
“explode” (brake). As he descend from the chair he stepped into the broken glass and exposed mercury powder.
The IP was admitted to hospital for treatment of the cuts. He spent two weeks in ICU and at one stage it was feared that his foot need to be
amputated. Currently his foot is connected to a vacuum pump to remove continuously dead tissue. Long road of recovery is awaiting him.
WARNING!!!! THE PICTURES BELOW ARE VERY GRAPHIC AND COULD MAKE YOU WANT TO PUKE.
They ain't kidding about that warning; if you don't want to see pics of a foot with the skin flayed away from it, right down to the bone, don't click
on the link.
There are warnings out there about the dangers involved in cleaning up CFL bulbs but, they don't mention anything about rotting away skin as a result
Watch Out! That Energy-Saving Bulb Can Kill
The United States Environment Protection Agency (EPA) recommends the guidelines below when dealing with a broken mercury bulb:
Open a window and leave the room (restrict access) for at least 15 minutes. Remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner. And in doing
this, wear disposable rubber gloves, if available (do not use your bare hands).
Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard. Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or disposable wet wipe. Sticky
tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
Place all clean-up materials in a plastic bag and seal it.
After this is done, put into the outside trash can for onward transfer to the community’s refuse collection site if no recycle option is
Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.
When inhaled, the mercury substance is believed to cause migraine, disorientation, imbalances, insomnia, irritation, inflammation and death. A body
contact with the substance could lead to allergies, severe skin conditions and other diseases.
A cut in the foot from a broken CFL bulb could get the foot infected with mercury poisoning.
Not everyone is buying into this fantastic story though:
The claims in the message remain unsubstantiated. CFL's do contain a small amount of mercury and caution is required when cleaning up and disposing of
broken bulbs. Exposure to mercury can certainly have serious health implications. However, there is currently no credible evidence that backs up the
claim that the foot injury depicted in these photographs was the result of mercury exposure.
But what about the foot injury shown in the above images? CFL's do contain a tiny amount of mercury and mercury exposure in sufficient quantities can
certainly have serious health effects. But, that said, there is no compelling or credible evidence to back up the claim that the foot injury depicted
in the above photographs was caused by mercury exposure from a broken CFL. Or any other source of mercury for that matter. Mercury has long been used
in various common instruments and devices and, historically, in mining, medicine and many other applications. Often, the potential for mercury
exposure from such devices and applications has been vastly greater than that posed by the tiny amount of mercury found in a typical CFL. The adverse
health effects of mercury exposure have been well documented over many years. But, despite this, I could find no information that suggests that
mercury in a wound would cause the sort of significant injury and decay shown in the above photographs. Even a detailed clinical review about mercury
exposure and cutaneous disease makes no reference to mercury related injuries like those shown in the images.
Certainly, mercury could be more quickly absorbed via an existing wound or cut and if a large amount is absorbed, the victim could suffer immediate
symptoms such as loss of appetite, fatigue, insomnia, and changes in behavior or personality. Longer term exposure could result in damage to the
brain, kidney and lungs along with nausea, abdominal cramps, diarrhoea, eye irritation, weight loss, skin rashes, and muscle tremors.
They have no evidence that the injury was caused by exposure to mercury but, they don't present any evidence that it was not caused by it either. This
could be the result of an extreme allergic reaction or the mercury combining with another infection to create the wounds depicted.
Is this another case of internet bred hysteria or is there any evidence out there to proove that that injury was, indeed caused by mercury
edit on 4/10/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV