It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Recall (2012)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just found a trailer for this and think it looks neat. OK, it'll be the usual over the top action added to many parts of the film instead of the story being taken from P.K. Dicks book properly, but it could still be decent.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

I am completely tired of this remake garbage going around, I understand why the media is choosing to do this, because it worked before and there is an existing fanbase for a franchise.

Its such a shame that remakes are everywhere from books, theater productions, music and now movies are doing it and they are even doing remakes of remakes!
There is a younger generation full of original ideas out there being stopped when it comes to progression.

The older generations are needing to walk away and allow progression to happen. Even the actors in a lot of movies are needing to call it quits especially the ones that need cgi to make them look younger.

Just my thoughts, I am so, so tired of remakes. I can understand comic book remakes but taking a classic movie is just looking for a cheap buck in my eyes.
edit on 10-4-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

its gonna be hard to top the original
edit on 10-4-2012 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Looks good, I hadn't seen the trailer - shame the music doesn't play on that distinctive theme from the original - but certainly looks cool and worth renting at some point. Thanks for sharing the trailer!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Does seem cool, but dosent it seem like we remake too many movies?

It's kind of like taking a shortcut, you still make a cool movie, you also sell yourself short of greatness. What remake has been greater than the original?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
I am completely tired of this remake garbage going around, I understand why the media is choosing to do this, because it worked before and there is an existing fanbase for a franchise.

I watch very few films so it doesn't really bother me, I just think most stuff out there is crap anyway and only pick out a few films a year I think. So seeing as this is from a story that was originally done by P.K. Dick I'm fine with it, and will see if more of the story manages to get through. (although it probably won't, but if not it'll at least be updated and look a lot better. I liked this film first time around too so that also helps, obviously.)

Originally posted by emaildogs
What remake has been greater than the original?

In this case it'd probably be easy, they could just add more of the story than the last film version, seeing as the original was written by one of the greatest sci-fi writers ever.
edit on 10-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't think it'll be anything like Arnies.
That was a good movie. Enough with the remakes.
Plus, no Sharon Stone. She was Hot.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Plus, no Sharon Stone. She was Hot.

It looks to me like they've got Kate Beckensdale and Jessica Biel to play the female leads.

Who needs Sharon Stone when you've got those hotties?

Now if only they cound find a way to fit in Jessica Alba, this would be the most perfect movie ever.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The original short story is only 20 pages long, would be quite bad movie if they did not flesh it out a bit
Weird thing about this trailer 'which actually looks quite good' where is mars? i did not see it once...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think this little info graphic is very telling, 0 original films were in the top 10 movies of 2011 compared to 8 out of 10 in 1981.

I think the main problem is that the producers are completely unwilling to gamble any of their vast amounts of money on an original idea now, so they stick to sequels where they already have a pre made market, I bet half of the people that saw the original Total Recall and are saying that this will be awful will still go and see it if only out of curiosity.

Original movies do still get made but usually by smaller studios that don't have the huge marketing budget and so they don't see the top ten list

edit on 10-4-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Wow, that's really bad. Didn't know it was at that level. Maybe they just like the same stuff being repeated because it leaves us inspired less and brings less new things into our reality, keeping things ticking along nice and easily.

I know, I see a conspiracy in almost everything.

edit :

Originally posted by davespanners
I think the main problem is that the producers are completely unwilling to gamble any of their vast amounts of money on an original idea now, so they stick to sequels where they already have a pre made market

Yeah that'll probably be at least half of it.

Noticed Time Bandits there too in that 1981 chart! As a kid I loved that film and watched it several times.
edit on 10-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

The original short story is only 20 pages long, would be quite bad movie if they did not flesh it out a bit
Weird thing about this trailer 'which actually looks quite good' where is mars? i did not see it once...

Yeah I think the detail comes down to how well they manage to maintain the integrity of the story as they flesh out, so it might actually be a decent film. (or whatever the final edit is.....) Looking forward to it anyway.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Something I just noticed, the trailer didn't hint at if the film still included the lady in the bar with the 3 erm....... you know what I mean

I'm assuming not as it would probably mean an 18 cert and movies will do anything to avoid that

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It looks to me like they've got Kate Beckensdale and Jessica Biel to play the female leads. Who needs Sharon Stone when you've got those hotties? Now if only they cound find a way to fit in Jessica Alba, this would be the most perfect movie ever.

Hmmm....ok you win

Can't argue there, but still Sharon Stone was a major hottie eh.
Now, Jessica Alba, well that would get me to pay for a cinema ticket.
They should've just made an all women Total Recall, just women in pvc space suits or something but wait, I think that stuff is already on the net

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I'm a big PDK fan & was glad they remake this because they can take it anywhere (not necessarily Mars) from the 20 page short story. I just hope they throw in a few Dickian twists and are fans of PDK. Minority Report missed at the major point from the story(which is short but not too) by changing the ending.
Besides if you don't like remakes then just GET YO AZZZZ TO MMMMMAAAAHHHHHZZZZZ!!!
PDK deserves better than Aahnnod.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i hate you hollywood.
whats next, remake of Alien or 2001.
just think about this, years from now our kids will complain that they're remaking a remake of a remake.

when imagination and creativity fails, remake!

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i hate you hollywood.
whats next, remake of Alien or 2001.
just think about this, years from now our kids will complain that they're remaking a remake of a remake.

when imagination and creativity fails, remake!

Funny you should mention that! PROMETHEUS is THE ALIEN PREQUEL,So yes i smell remake coming of Alien as well. 2001 had a sequel 2010. But 2001 would be cool with Christopher walken doing Hal's voice. Im sorry dave..i uh I have a fever..and the only cure is...More COWBELL!! I cant wait to see if a three breasted woman appears in this version of total recall as well.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

prequel isn't really a remake though. it's not filming the same scenes with different actors.
although remakes annoy me i have to admit that i actually like the remake of "true grit" and "war of the worlds"

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
more mystery school crap to fully draw the veil over our "eyes" before the magnificent unveiling of a new age!

LoL

Woo-haa Eye got you all in check

I think I just got mind F'd and teleported to mars, except its all in my head! Or is it?

This movie will suck hard and leave you wreaking of sulphur.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It looks to me like they've got Kate Beckensdale and Jessica Biel to play the female leads.

SOLD! I'm in!

Who needs Sharon Stone when you've got those hotties?

Sharon did know how to sell it though...

Now if only they cound find a way to fit in Jessica Alba, this would be the most perfect movie ever

Congrats, you just named 3 of the hottest chicks on the planet in the same post!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join