It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with video file conversions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Anyone have any idea a good program to convert .MOV files into .AVI files?
edit on 10/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: hit enter

I need to obtain high quality .AVI files from my canon camera,which uses .mov format.
I am filming in full HD,30fps,but when I convert to.AVI using Canon digital photo proffessional,the resulting .AVI is totally crap quality.

I would consider buying a program if anyone can recommend one where I will not lose quality if that is possible.
Is it possible-or will the conversion process always result in a loss of quality?
Any ideas?

Sorry for bad post,I hit enter by accident at first.

edit on 10/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

edit on 10/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

atube-catcher.softonic.de... has a good video converter feature.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I would recommend either:

Freemake Video Converter or XMedia Recode

(To be safe, make a restore point before installing either)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I use handbrake and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 for my transcoding needs. I know the TMPGenc will, but its about $100 USD, handbrake I am not sure if it does the .mov extension as I don't use .mov files.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

atube-catcher.softonic.de... has a good video converter feature.

This is the program I use, its a very good free program, with many uses, although I would download it straight from their site to get the latest version. I also use the dixv avi codec, which reduces the file size without much loss. If you use this one do a custom install and check off any other stuff like toolbars which it wants to install.
atube-catcher.dsnetwb.com...

edit on 10-4-2012 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Thanks folks,I think I will try the atube-catcher first as its free-and it simply caannot be worse than what I have at the moment.
Also one of my friends uses Handbrake I think,so I may give that a try before maybe buying it.
Cheers!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

There will always be "some" loss of quality when converting but as long as you get an encoder that gives you the ability to change the bitrates and such, you should be able to convert it without any noticeable quality drops.

Another thing to consider, though if you are going digital to strictly digtal it should be fine, is NTSC and PAL. ensure you aren't converting from one to the other as they play at different frame rates and the results will be less than impressive.

I recommend checking this site:
videohelp.com

They have tutorials and guides for every possible conversion, as well as different links to freeware/shareware/trial versions of software. Paid software too I believe. The forum is also a great resource if you are having issues with a specific conversion app or problem.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thanks Phishy!
I will check that link out.
I'm still quite new to digital camera processing so that should be very helpful.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Why would you want to convert to AVI?

It has the worst compression. However divx isn't that bad.
www.divx.com...

I would look at handbrake.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I need to have .AVI or .Mpg so I can put the video into an image stacking program,to layer up the frames into a single image.
The image stacking prog will only accept .avi or .mpg files sadly.
The atube catcher seems to have done a good job on the video I just tested it on,but I will try handbrake next time I see my friend who uses it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I would recommend sothink media converter, you can download it for free and it will convert to all kinds of formats, including the proprietary PS3 video file format.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think you can follow this guide here to convert your mov files to avi. i dont know what operating system you are using, but the encoding process is very similar based on mac or windows.
Smith.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I used to use this one (before I started using Sony Vegas) without problems, its freeware too and should do exactly what you need...

Any Video Converter

Hope that helps

edit on 22-11-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

top topics

join