It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Microchip Knows Just Where You Are, Indoors and Out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

A New Microchip Knows Just Where You Are, Indoors and Out

www.technologyreview.com

Broadcom has just rolled out a chip for smart phones that promises to indicate location ultra-precisely, possibly within a few centimeters, vertically and horizontally, indoors and out....In theory, the new chip can even determine what floor of a building you're on, thanks to its ability to integrate information from the atmospheric pressure sensor on many models of Android phones. The company calls abilities like this "ubiquitous navigation,".....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Another milestone on the road to the ultimate elimination of any semblance of privacy: A road we traveling down at breakneck speed these days.

This new technology gathers locational information from multiple sources: everything from cell-phone towers to the atmospheric pressure sensors in smartphones.

Do you really want the ability to pinpoint your exact location to the centimeter to be in the hands of...well, who exactly? The tech seems intended for commercial use, so that merchants can offer you specially-tailored coupons "the moment you walk in the door," and can tell what products you are looking at any given moment, for the same reason. The intrusiveness of this spammy concept is bad enough. but the potential for abuse by government or even private stalkers is far worse, as most ATSers hardly need to be reminded.

Where will this all end? "Don't worry, if you haven't done anything bad, you have nothing to worry about the fact that a permanent record can be made of your every move, 24 hours a day, not to mention realtime monitoring." uh-huh.

A different but related story:

. With the help of these phone users — and their devices’ cameras, audio recorders, and other features — researchers envision endless possibilities for gathering huge amounts of data, from services that collect user data to monitor noise pollution and air quality to applications that build maps from people’s cell phone snapshots
Source: Physorg

www.technologyreview.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4/10/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
With every new technology released.
There is a way to disable/enable/modify it to suit your own personal needs.

They can put all the functions they want in an Android phone. Its as simple as reinstalling the rom on it, one that has that particular function disabled
Oh it will happen.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

If you're that worried about it don't buy a smartphone. The only people being tracked with technology like this are those who are willing to use that technology regardless of the implications.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
People has been giving willingly their privacy rights with the lure of smart technology. Big brother and the corporate dictatorship truly knows how to work out the sheep in the nation, forget about the under the skin microchips this new technology is much better.

I do not own a smart phone and never will, have not use for it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Call me naive but I seriously don't get this obsession with people being worried that 'they' can tell exactly where you are at all times. So what? There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet, do you really think that 'they' have the time, resources or ability to monitor even a fraction of them for absolutely no logical reason?

My phone can pinpoint me to my house exactly on google maps... so google know where I am... and they will do what with this sort of information? Maybe they will be able to track how many times I go to the toilet and what time I go to bed. Then I will be in trouble eh? NO. Because there is no logical reason to track everyone with a smartphone. If it helps track suspected terrorists and criminals great, as long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't care who knows where I am or when I am there.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Intriguing and scary at the same time!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
great tech if you wanted to end a seige like in toulouse.if the phone is active and the user is behind cover,just aim 18 inches above the hand/device.mind you i have read (cannot remember where) that tier 1 operatives already have tech that can plot an outline on a computerised sight from info gathered elsewhere.for example a pinhole camera or drone.also read that electrical signals can be "viewed" through walls and that includes human electrical impulses.quite a few have prob used heartbeat sensors on various video games...let me tell you a friend picks up waste paper from a local prison.they dont check his lorry on the way out,he just has to exit the vehicle and they use a heartbeat scanner.this tech is in use in the uk and has been for 6 or 7 years at least.its no secret

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Actually, this kicks ass in oh so many ways.

I hope they roll it out in the next iphone.

Have I got the application for it. I tried to do this before but the location service was just too loose. Angry Birds is gonna look like parcheesi.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
With every new technology released.
There is a way to disable/enable/modify it to suit your own personal needs.

Or how about this? Just don't use it! It seems everyone is falling for the hype that these bits of kit are essential to their lives. They aren't.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadarMan
reply to post by fiftyfifty

You're really ignorant. You ever heard of expirements before? That's all it is. Companies sell smartphones to people, then monitor everything they do with it, log it all, for later review. Huge databases full of just the living styles of people exist, just for the ability to study humans from a distance and minutely. You're a complete idiot and have no idea how you're being used. Wake up to science, retard.

Wow, thanks for that intelligent, eloquently expressed reply. I'm glad you let me know what a retard I am. I think there is a difference between ignorance and sanity. No I haven't heard of 'expirements' before. I would love to know what they are. Yes a lot of activity on smartphone's is monitored for targeted advertising and cookies are collected, information sold to other companies so they can potentially make money out of us etc. I get this. I don't like it but It doesn't really directly affect me so meh. This happens equally as much with the internet but it appears your above average IQ appears to have omitted this fact because it suits you

I don't HAVE to have a smartphone, if my retarded memory serves me right, i dragged my own knuckles to the phone shop and selected a shiny new galaxy s2 shaped monitoring device and strapped it to my own head. Nobody forced me.
edit on 10-4-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Another milestone on the road to the ultimate elimination of any semblance of privacy:

Privacy checked out of the building years ago with the Patriot Act, and the emergence of social networking.

MySpace, Facebook, Twitter....people have become used to sharing information, so this will not be a hard sell.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Call me naive but I seriously don't get this obsession with people being worried that 'they' can tell exactly where you are at all times. So what? There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet, do you really think that 'they' have the time, resources or ability to monitor even a fraction of them for absolutely no logical reason?

My phone can pinpoint me to my house exactly on google maps... so google know where I am... and they will do what with this sort of information? Maybe they will be able to track how many times I go to the toilet and what time I go to bed. Then I will be in trouble eh? NO. Because there is no logical reason to track everyone with a smartphone. If it helps track suspected terrorists and criminals great, as long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't care who knows where I am or when I am there.

I agree.

Anytime I discuss microchipping- and by the way, I see it as advancement in technology which equals advancement for our species- people get this dramatic fear that "they are gonna be watching me"...like you, I don't understand why they think they will be on anyone's radar!

As you stated, unless you are a criminal, why does this bother anyone?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

I agree.

Anytime I discuss microchipping- and by the way, I see it as advancement in technology which equals advancement for our species- people get this dramatic fear that "they are gonna be watching me"...like you, I don't understand why they think they will be on anyone's radar!

As you stated, unless you are a criminal, why does this bother anyone?

This is all well and good however who defines what and who IS a criminal?

This nothing to hide nothing to fear BS drives me mental. IF i want someone ANYONE to know where i am
i will TELL them simple i do not want my phone or any other device reporting my movements to anyone
for any reason what so ever unless i require it.

I loathe advertising and the thought of data mining me to target me with crap i don't want to see or hear
will ensure i NEVER buy the product rammed in my face by such methods.

And as for the state monitoring me well after working for the UK MOD for a while i don't trust them
either mainly due to the level of mind-numbing incompetence i encountered there god knows what
"list" i could end up on by sheer error.

And if any of the NWO / end off the world / totalitarian scenarios were to actually come to fruition
location tracking would be the last thing i want anywhere near me.

I like most folk DONT have anything to hide but as i have tried poorly to illustrate that
does not mean i have nothing to fear.

knowledge of ones whereabouts is a thing to give not a thing to be taken. CHOICE

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Broadcom chips blow. It took me forever to get mine to work on my linux box, what a nightmare. That alone makes me never want to own another thing with a broadcom chip in it, ever. Crap like this just adds to it, no wonder broadcom don't want to cooperate and open their sourcecode up

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ShayneJUK

What about your next door neighbour, the guy down the road, the woman sitting behind you on the bus, the CCTV cameras throughout your town. Trust me, if someone wants to know where you are, they will have no problem regardless of you owning a smart phone or not. You use the internet. Unless you are using a proxy server then you are immediately traceable. If you want to be really paranoid, how do you know any electronic devices you own don't have tracking devices in them?

If you spend your life worrying about being followed, tracked or traced then you will drive yourself into insane, paranoid oblivion. If you have nothing to hide seriously... I don't fear anything because I know right from wrong. Who would have any interest in me, I'm just a 'normal' guy living a bog standard life. Nothing to see here and more fool the idiot who thinks there is and wastes his time watching me.
edit on 10-4-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I totally agree with you, as I set up an Android SDK, and have quite a bit of fun "customizing" my own roms. It's open source sofware. There is nothing to fear from tracking software. The only fear results from a lack of knowledge about how the Android OS works. I can switch roms in about 5 minutes, most of that being the install process.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What are you so worried about? What are you hiding from?

Be sovereign, be a free soul, leave mass consciousness. You will have nothing more to fear, unless, of course you choose to fear. You choose what you feel!

ATS is just an offshoot of mass consciousness.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

oh no, I better watch what I say and do.
do the words "Fire Mission Over" come to mind?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join