It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ya just never know when things go your way. [WRC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
As I walked into the office I was met by a chorus of well wishers. I am sure that they mean well.

“Good Morning, Sir!”

“Your coffee, Sir!”

One studious individual though stood out from them.

Stanley…I could always count on Stanley. There were times that I thought that maybe, just maybe, Stanley was playing me. But I always quickly brushed off those thoughts as Stanley always was a straight shooter. He didn’t hide the hard facts and never hesitated to tell it like it was. I actually thought that he had a hard time lying. It just wasn’t in his nature.

He was a large part as to why I was in my position today.

“Your daily reports, Sir.” As he handed me a stack of folders. He sidled closer and whispered in my ear, “It’s confirmed, there is nothing we can do.” He looked at me sadly.

“Really Stanley? Nothing?” I looked him sternly in the eye. “My office.” I ordered tersely and turned to the door.

I took a sip of my coffee as Stanley closed the doors and turned to face him. “We’ve been through this before, what makes it different now? How big is it?”

Stanley merely shrugged, “Big doesn’t really matter in this case, Sir. In this case, Huge is even laughable.”

I sat down behind my desk, “Stanley, don’t BS me, we’ve been through too much together. Humanity wouldn’t be where it is if it wasn’t for you. Hell! I wouldn’t be where I sit if it weren’t for you.”

I leaned back in my chair, “What’s up?”

“Well, Sir…” He paused.

“Stop Sirring me and get on with it Dammit!” I yelled, finally fed up with the PC Crap.

“Allright Will, The bottom line is this…”The asteroid strikes that allowed you become the first unified leader of earth were also nothing more than a precursor to the big show.”

He paused again, “For the big show, do you now get my drift?”

I looked at him and leaned a bit closer. “So we are looking at an ELE then? How long?”

“Hell, Will, I don’t know and that’s the kicker. This thing that is approaching us is deviating its course to say on track with Earth. It may be sentient.”

“Sentient,” I muttered, “Just how big is this thing?”

“Just as a SWAG, it is a quarter size of the moon.” Stanley smiled sheepishly.

I started to pace as I tend to do under stress, “That is big, what do we have to stop it?”

“Nukes, Railguns, though I doubt they’ll be effective, but it doesn’t hurt to try.” Stanley was clearly out of his element on this one.

“Have you tried to communicate with them?” I asked.

Um, no Sir, that option didn’t occur to us.” Stanley blushed.

“Well, if our weapons are possibly ineffective, let’s try diplomacy first. Let’s try to talk to them.” For some reason, I felt relief as a decision had been made. And we could always resort to weapons if need be.

TWO YEARS LATER

The Sch’nalf is a highly intelligent race and also refugees. They also looked remarkably like humans and were…compatible, sexually speaking.

Their ship took up an adjacent orbit with the moon, playing havoc with our tides. We, however, adapted as humankind always has.

They profusely apologized for when they passed through the Oort cloud, knocking asteroids out of there orbit and sending them to Earth. For some reason, I don’t think they can ever forgive themselves of that accident. They have pledged their loyalty to humankind because of that.

I think that they are actually humans, but our scientists are still working on that.

THREE YEARS LATER

After two years of talk with the Sch’nalf leadership, they have agreed to make me the Supreme Gaurdian. I cautioned them that they had best be aware of what they are conferring.

The Na’azzi’s (Yea, I know, I chuckled when I first heard it as well) are hell bent upon conquest and exploitation of every planet they conquer. And best of all they are insectiod so people will not have too many problems killing them.

We have taken a peaceable people and turned them into warriors within two years as well as swelling their ranks with our numbers. We now have a fleet. I never would have thought that possible before. We depart tomorrow to take the war to them.

As Guardian I must command the fleet, I’m leaving Stanley in charge back on Earth. We have a plan you see.

Ruler of Earth hell! I plan on being a Master of the Universe!

edit on 10-4-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Good suprise ending! Looks like ol' Stanley really WAS playing him, and so well, that even as he departed on his voyage to the front, there's a possibility that ol' Stan might've built things up a bit for the esteemed leader's return. We'll see, right?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I'm not sure what the theme is but It's a good story. I like the time jumps and also the mild humor. The humor of which I struggle to incorporate into anything I write. I tend to make it sad and depressing to compensate Haha. anyway good read overall.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

I'm not sure what the theme is

Best way to find out is to put [WRC] into ATS Search

That works for every contest we've run because all the titles contain such a tag.
edit on 5/8/12 by masqua because: sp

top topics

join