It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pell says Adam and Eve didn't exist

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

That's why we have the Bible. It not only tells us how to live, it tells us that there's judgement for how we lived. If the Bible was only a set of laws in which it wasn't important as to whether or not we knew we would be judged or who would judge us, we couldn't be held accountable. But we are being held accountable. It's only fair that we're told who's holding us accountable and who will be doing the judging, as well as by what standards.

Edit: I know you may think it conceited and arrogant, but wouldn't Jesus' death be in vain if we weren't all forced to recognize why He came here in the first place?
edit on 11-4-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

I understand that. But I was actually asking why God would care if he is believed in or not? If a person goes through life without doing anything wrong, why would he care if that person believed in his existence? That was my point. A persons deeds and intent towards other people (and other living beings) should be the only things that matter.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Sorry, I edited my last comment.

I hope that helps to answer your question.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Xaphan

That's why we have the Bible. It not only tells us how to live, it tells us that there's judgement for how we lived. If the Bible was only a set of laws in which it wasn't important as to whether or not we knew we would be judged or who would judge us, we couldn't be held accountable. But we are being held accountable. It's only fair that we're told who's holding us accountable and who will be doing the judging, as well as by what standards.

Edit: I know you may think it conceited and arrogant, but wouldn't Jesus' death be in vain if we weren't all forced to recognize why He came here in the first place?

In that case it's also fair that this god make an apearance at some point and also until then not hold us to any caveat where if we choose not to believe in what is unbelievable we don't end up in some awful place. Threatening bastards of the past or a mean spirited god - It's either one or the other. The third option is it doesn't exist at all.

And since when do we need to be told that killing humans is a bad thing? Gee thanks ten commandments- what would I have ever done without you!

edit on 11-4-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I'm going to elaborate more. Yes, Jesus came to earth to preach the word of God, but it was only for a very short time. Jesus' main mission for coming to earth was to die. He knew it and he preached to his apostles why he would be put to death. It was the only way to cleanse sin in order to achieve salvation. That is why the Bible says that the way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. We must acknowledge what He did for us, otherwise, we still walk in sin no matter what kind of life we've lived. Jesus' death was not to be in vain, overlooked or considered a regular life event.

This is why the story of Adam of Eve is so important. Regardless of whether you believe that they were tempted by Satan as outlined in the Bible, this is how all sin originated and no one is exempt from it. Regardless of whether you believe the act of sin happened the way the Bible says, it's still very real and originated with man. Only a perfect man (Jesus) could be sacrificed to overcome it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Well, if he was talking about the literal interpretation of Adam & Eve (Genesis), then he is in fact correct. We know for sure that the literal interpretation is complete and utter nonsense...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Well, if he was talking about the literal interpretation of Adam & Eve (Genesis), then he is in fact correct. We know for sure that the literal interpretation is complete and utter nonsense...

I find your lack of faith disturbing. 0

lol

Well I would like to know who "we" are. not everyone agrees the same

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

I find your lack of faith disturbing. 0

lol

Well I would like to know who "we" are. not everyone agrees the same

"We" as in "all those who actually bothered to read up on science"

Of course some disagree, but those guys clearly haven't looked up (or understood) science. There's people on ATS who seriously believe people can live inside whales

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

"We" as in "all those who actually bothered to read up on science"

Of course some disagree, but those guys clearly haven't looked up (or understood) science. There's people on ATS who seriously believe people can live inside whales

Science and religion (or simply religious mythos (ether true or not)) can both live in harmony. Some times the answers are not entirely in one book. Science cannot fix salvation, science cannot be salvation and science defiantly cannot answer what happens when you die, we still dont know. That is probably the greatest problem with humanity. All this techno and still not answer what happens when you die!
Nothing wrong with both being compatible. Although, you may have to believe in a mystic (magic ) element that exist on earth in order to understand. .
Either or, atheist and theist just have to get along for the ride until then. And the soul really does exist, I am sorry that i cannot put on a microscope the energy (particles/neutrons/etc) of the soul and watch it.

bare with me i am half a sleep
edit on 11-4-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
And I should believe him why? Was her there at the garden of Eden? Nothing but another antichrist mouth blabbing.

edit on 11-4-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium
And I should believe him why? Was her there at the garden of Eden?

Were you?

edit on 11-4-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Jonah 2:1-2

1) From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God.

2) He said: “In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.

Matthew 12:40

40) For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

So, this would imply that Jonah died and was resurrected, just as Jesus was.

Other stories of bringing the dead back to life can be found in:

Matthew 9
Mark 5
Luke 7
Luke 8
John 11

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Um utter nonsense...geneticist have traced the human genome back to an original "Eve" not sure about Adam.
Adam and Eve the only inhabitants of earth....Cain and Abel..Cain Slew Abel.Eve gave birth to Seth..Seth married and had childern,,,where did Seth's wife come from...Cain was sent out to wander the world for his murder of his brother. He was given the "Mark" so others would not kill him...well where did all these "other" inhabitants ,,like those who dwelt in the Land of Nod..come from...There is lot of room for speculation about what is true. I'am sure you can find a Catholic Cardinal that will up hold the story of Adam and Eve will great religious zeal. Welcome to religion...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

hahaha the roman catholic church.... working as intended to systematically destroy Christianity bit by bit

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

nanu nanu

Adam and Eve in a sense could been real when the forgotten race created humans, they had to start somewhere.

But Hell and Heaven must be the biggest myth out there, come on! really?! how many humans are in hell now as we speak?

giggles

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Catholic church was never literalist like the protestant fundamentalists who believe the bible is inerrant.

The Catholics have always read scripture metaphorically.

Google "lectio divina."

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archangelelijah
The Sun is Male with The Earth being Female (Mothernature) giving birth to us all. This is the hardware of the universe while the software is the knowledge of humans through spirit.

I am not attempting to derail your post as I agree with the essence of it.
Out of interest I have quoted a part of your post to add - The Sun is not always seen as Male nor the Earth Female.
In the Ancient Egyptian concept of Creation The Earth is seen as Male IE Geb who makes love to the overarching heavens - Nut, a Female who wears a garment of stars.
To add also that The Sun gave birth to the Earth
edit on 11-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by MrXYZ

Jonah 2:1-2

1) From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God.

2) He said: “In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.

Matthew 12:40

40) For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

So, this would imply that Jonah died and was resurrected, just as Jesus was.

Other stories of bringing the dead back to life can be found in:

Matthew 9
Mark 5
Luke 7
Luke 8
John 11

You do realize that just because the bible says so doesn't make it true, right?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A tad of fairy tell the bible is...............

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I am Catholic and this is how I learned it. I was taught in Catholic school the Genesis stories are Contextual. They are to read in context of the audience for whom they were written. They are stories which explain to the early faithful of creation.

The Catholic church has no official position on cosmological or biological creation...it teaches the faithful to study scripture and history and to form conclusions based on the contextual stories and scientific information. [url= www.catholic.com...[/url]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join