It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Tour In America & It's A Police State. No Doubt About It.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Police State eh? Let me tell you something....'Police State' has been drilled into this country since it was founded (regardless of race or nationality).

Now, go curl up in a ball and cry. Reality just hit you.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Stop whining.That's all I'm getting from your post.It's not that big of a deal to me.There is a reason why there's so much security.It is not 1920 anymore.The world has changed and so has America.Really,if you don't like it either do one of two things.Find another job or move to another country.Also,do you really expect security not to be tight in our nations capital?REALLY?

Your odds of dying in a terrorist attack today, are the same as they were on September 10th, almost zero. There's security, then there's just ridiculousness apparently some of us are able to spot the difference.

So yes, in New york, you've got to go through body scanners that give you cancer, remove your shoes, probably let them sift through your iphone, for security of course.

but you can't own a radiation detector.

?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by camus154
Good God. Enough.

Those of you whining about losing all real freedoms, please.

Go to a country that truly is a police state. Go someplace where the cops can throw your ass in jail, no calls to lawyers, can sentence you, no jury. Can take away your electricity, your water supply, your livelihood, with zero explanation.

If you're sitting here right now complaining about how bad it is in America, then you have absolutely no idea of how bad it truly could be. Your problem is one of perspective.

America isn't perfect. Hell no. There are scary things that have happened since 9/11. Sure. But America is still fundamentally America. Sorry to rain on your weird, creepy conspiracy fetishes, but we're still the best damned game around.

Honestly. I get really tired of hearing so many so-called patriots bitch and moan about a country they supposedly love so damned much. The very fact that you can sit here, night after night, dreaming up whatever fantasies you wish about how fascist America has become, is the very proof that it isn't any of those things!

The best any of you have is extremely loose conjecture based upon a giant Orwellian "what if" that "may" happen "sometime" in the future. Because we get patted down at the airport. Because one of you saw a flatbed transporting military vehicles. Because hillbilly cops sometimes fabricate reasons to pull you over.

Here's a novel idea. Here's a real game changer for you. Here's some truly subversive thinking. Try dealing with reality for a change. Try living in the here and now for a moment.

Try appreciating for one friggin' day what you DO have, all the freedoms you DO enjoy. Try looking around you at all the great things this country DOES provide and how good you DO have it.

I know. Weird, huh?

Wow, another imbecile who thinks we should actually WAIT until the gulags are FULL before we even discuss the march toward a totalitarian state in the U.S.

How about you shut up and let the thinkers on ATS have a discussion about this little problem our country faces, and possibly do something about it BEFORE it is TOO LATE.

How about you move to a police state and see for yourself what this country will be like in a few years because people like YOU refuse to even talk about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Wow, another imbecile who thinks we should actually WAIT until the gulags are FULL before we even discuss the march toward a totalitarian state in the U.S.

How about you shut up and let the thinkers on ATS have a discussion about this little problem our country faces, and possibly do something about it BEFORE it is TOO LATE.

How about you move to a police state and see for yourself what this country will be like in a few years because people like YOU refuse to even talk about it.

Fine. I'll call your bluff, tough guy patriot.

Why don't you DO something about it then? I mean, all of you tough guy patriots sit here day after day wailing like a bunch of barnyard hens about how It's Really Going To Happen Sometime Soon, so let's sit here and cluck cluck cluck about it all day long. Because, yeah, you sure are leading a revolution here on the internet, aren't you? You sure are at the forefront of change, aren't you, Captain America?

Oh, I get it. You're not quite ready yet, are you? You're still preparing and planning, huh? I mean, you all talk incessantly about how the # will hit the fan, some day, one day, soon, just you wait, but it hasn't actually happened yet, huh? So, I mean, for all your cluck cluck clucking about how the sky is falling, it hasn't quite fallen enough to do anything more than bitch about it.

Right?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cdaddy1034
reply to post by poloblack

I for one am OK with escalated security at places like airports, and national attractions. When it starts to affect my day to day life is when I will get upset about it.

So your logic is that as long as it isn't affecting you yet you just ignore the other people that it is affecting? In daily life?

This is our collective problem. Most people are selfish.

I am by no means in a police state but damn it is getting close. I choose to use my freedom that I still have to try and help other people from what I don't want to happen to anyone else. That is just called paying it forward. Because there may just be a day when the police state affects you. Going to be a little too late to do something about it when ur locked up without due process huh?

You are also going to feel helpless and just hopefuly there are people that are still freedom lovers who will support you in your endevour rather than selfish people that say "well it aint my problem, hasn't hit me yet."

Come together folks before it is too late. Famous last words "it will never happen to me"

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

If you live in city limits, try discharging your firearm and see what happens, even if you're on ''your property''.

Yeah, if I did that I would probably shoot and kill my neighbor

You can't say what you want.

You mean like yell fire in a crowded theater?

USA has issues but it isn't really a police state, sure it could be eventually but it isn't there yet. North Korea is a police state, USA is nothing like it. If it were, all of us on here would be sent to a labor camp already.

Hey Spoke --- The camps of been built.

For our "protection" of course.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

No doubt.. We are on the highest alert status right now. Actually a missle launch is imminent as I type. The North Koreans are fueling and almost complete if not complete. All the dumb ass states all took so much fed money with all the cameras and hardware to go along with it what do you expect. It makes me sick. And not to mention we are robbed blind.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I for one am OK with escalated security at places like airports, and national attractions. When it starts to affect my day to day life is when I will get upset about it.

Escalated security in an airport compared to a Wal-mart is fine, but the full on body scans and the groping is taking it a little to far IMHO.

Maybe it won't affect YOUR day to day life, but it does millions of others. People who have to travel on airplanes on a daily basis are subject to this ridiculousness every day.

How much is too much?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If you are of middle eastern descent that fits the profile of a terrorist you could do as you please.

we can't "Profile"

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

Not making a conscious effort to observe me just for the fact that so mant people are around to see you so being on closed circuit t.v is not really an issue for me. Just like walking into a business and seeing all the security cameras dont bother me at all.

It bothers me that we even have a need for CCTV in the first place. As you say, its unfortunate that humans are so deprived and resort to such lows. Moreover, the potential for abuse (on top of existing abuse) of the technology definitely does bother me. These people have access to where you are pretty much every hour of the day, who you call, who you text, who you email, it's a bit overwhelming. My father is Arabic, that alone could justify them treating me as a suspected criminal under current systems. If they were to do so, they would most certainly end up invading my privacy.

this guy looked right at me and said "we're our own worst enemies". Now do you think that one simple line is somewhat related to the CCTV cameras you alluded to? Meaning that if there was no one robbing other people, no one brutalizing other people would there be any need for these camera's? I dont know...are we (humanity) our own worst enemies? If not us then what is?

Perhaps we would not have a need in that situation, but that isn't to say that the utilitarian argument is justified. Just because some guys are criminals, doesn't mean we should be treated as such. I do see the merit in CCTV on a practical level, in cases where it does help solve a crime - and it often does. But again, the potential for abuse is worrying. It doesn't really bother me if I see a CCTV camera on the street. But on top of the other information stored about me by an irresponsible government, it does.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
We are not in a police state yet but this is not the same America a that I was born in. Our government is supposed to be made of citizen representatives that were of, by and for the people. They now think they are better than the people they govern. I used to own a restaurant and it was up to me if I allowed people to smoke. Now the government decided on my behalf. Used to be that I could decide how much if any I could afford to help needy folks in my area. Now the government decides. I am not a name. I am a social security number. Growing up I could hunt on my farm when I wanted. I still can but if I get caught its actually a felony depending on what I shoot. Its also illegal for me to spray my fields with what I want regardless of if someone else eats it. Used to be you could by your land and be self sufficient. Now even if its paid for you gotta pay the govt property taxes just to live on land you own. I own my fair share of weapons. Quite a few are handguns. I figure its nobodies business but mine. Too bad its a felony. I want to complain to my congressman too bad even though I do not have a criminal record and I have one registered handgun and the appropriate c and c permit that I can not take it with me. Then there is the metal detector and getting frisked. But thats par for the course to use a plane or a train or visit any major govt office. Fifteen years ago you could just show your id and drive onto a military base.

Car insurance being mandatory is bad enough. Its a choice or it should be. Now You have to buy medical insurance. Millionaire or not it isnt your choice. Oh and if you wanted minor medical well not anymore. The govt is all but shutting them down. Parenting crops that obliterate nonengineered varieties. No child left behind. Someone has to dig ditches. Sols. What happened to real teaching. Senators used to be appointed by the states. The house represented the people and the senate the states. Thats how the fed has regulated everything and taken powe from the states. You want to send your kid to school? Doesnt matter if you think vaccinations are unsafe. The govt steals your money every week because you are too stupid to plan your own retirement. You are not smart enough to decide what to feed your kids for lunch. If the school thinks it unhealthy then you are in trouble. Discipline your kids? Only if uncle sam says its ok.

Follow a guy you think is a criminal while talking to the cops and he attacks and threatens to kill you and you are on trial for murder. Robber breaks into your home and you shoot him and you get ten years and he sues you for half a mill.

Our country is operating at a loss and we give out hundreds of billions of aid that we dont have. We are supposedly freeing other countries while losing our own. Used to be a source of pride being an american citizen now its racist to ask for id to prove you are a citizen when you vote.

Some people dont get it. Maybe they are not old enough to remember what it was like. You are more free than most but in the past eighty years you have quite literally had your freedoms and liberties reduced by about 88%. Some have been taken but most you just gave away without blinking. Eighty years from now our government will be unrecognizable to people today much less our founders.

Tyranny by democracy. The majority feeds off of the minority. And since the states lost the senate its the mob oppressing the hardworking folks who dont want a free ride. What america is certainly isnt what it was. Change is not always better. We are not far from the constitution being irrelevant. Congress already is. Look up wxecutive orders that countermand congressional votes. Even though the house killed aid to the palestinians the executive branch exec ordered 175 mill of your tax dollars anyway. The white house skips the legislative process frequently. Look at the companies that got bailout dough. Your company goes bankrupt. Why you and not aig or gm or blah blah blah?

We will never get our country back through government. Not gonna happen. You dont take long term entitlements back. We cant pay our bills or defend our borders. You work hard and lose 35% of your income in taxes. Invest your money that you paid your income taxes on and any profit pay your 15% capital gains. Then die and let your kids pay 40% death tax. The feds charge to use the money. What you have left they force you to buy certain products.

Open revolt is the only chance. Or just go along for the ride and let lady liberty become something other than what it was intended to be.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I still don't turn my head to see who is listening to my opinions, but America has definitely become more militarized.

oops, maybe I spoke too soon... maybe if I did something other than speak to a friend...

Many other states have monitored antiwar activists, gathering and storing names and information. Texas and other states have stored “intelligence” on Muslims. Pennsylvania gathered reports on opponents of natural gas drilling. Florida has scrutinized supporters of presidential candidate Ron Paul. The list of such questionable activities is very long. We have no idea how much dubious data has been squirreled away by authorities and remains within the networked system. But we do know that information pours into it with relative ease and spreads like an oil slick. Cleaning up and removing the mess is another story entirely.

Those flash grenades exploding in Oakland and the sound cannons on New York’s streets simply opened small windows onto a national policing landscape long in the process of militarization -- a bleak domestic no man’s land marked by tanks and drones, robot bomb detectors, grenade launchers, tasers, and most of all, interlinked video surveillance cameras and information databases growing quietly on unobtrusive server farms everywhere.

How to Fund an American Police State

The authoritarian Daddy State will watch your every move and put you on a list. Those won't be UN tanks rolling down your street or NATO drones flying overhead. Nah, just those local police the John Birch Society told you to support long ago.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

o my, that's some attitude you got there -

this country is in perilous times and has been destroyed from within - we live in a land full of injustice and all that remains is legalese - even hitler went by the law - laws passed to further his agenda and still the people did nothing - that's what i see - a very complacent society -

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I live in Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron...I go to Akron and I go to Celeveland, the only security in these two places would be the guard and the metal detectors at the city halls. Anyone can walk into the hospitals or the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame or the Pro Football Hall of Fame with minimal security. You're talking about New York City and D.C., the biggest targets in America for terrorists, of course everything is going to be guarded, the "terrorists" knocked down two of the biggest buildings in America and tried to do the same with the Pentagon.

P.S. I say terrorists but who really knows the whole story behind 911

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

The US can potentially be the worst police state.. but it is not quite there yet. Other countries are worse

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by MRuss

The US can potentially be the worst police state.. but it is not quite there yet. Other countries are worse

Not quite, eh? Others are worse, eh?

Yeah. In some countries little girls have their genitalia mutilated, wives can be stoned to death for cheating, water and electrical supplies can be cut off by the government at whim, and entire populations are turned against one another in bloody massacres based on ethnicity.

Here in the US we have DUI checkpoints and TSA pat downs. We're not quite there with the other bad countries, but we sure are close, amiright?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I feel exactly as you do. I have lost a little faith in the US. We have sacrificed everything our founders laid down all for. We are like pre war Nazi Germany. You are led to believe that a terrorist is behind every corner and it is a load of crap.

Oh, that many body scanners are not good, I would take it easy for a while. Alternate with someone, that can't be good.

It will eventually come to a head. No one seems to think about it. How long do you think a whole people can live like that? Everyone thinks, especially TPTB that it can be tolerated eternally after the glorious liberty we have enjoyed for hundreds of years. These are the same people that still think they can use us like the hessians of the world without so much as a peep out of us.

It is all a little insane. but hey, there are plenty of dumbasses that like to think they help by surrendering their and their descendants civil liberties for the whims of a couple of fools who don't care about this country at all. Some will even defend them!

so I sadly, LOL.

EDIT:
OH, and comparing the US to other countries is not really fair unless you compare them to countries that enjoy more civil liberties than us as well. It's like saying "at least we aren't a third world country", yeah try that with developed countries like the USA, that's the whole argument. In third world countries you don't have the means we have here. Those means are possible because of our hard work and dedication, not because we hit the nations of the world lottery.
edit on 12-4-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I participated waaay back on like page 3 to 5 or something like that.

Those of you that are wondering what happened....let me give you an "old man's" view.

I am 46. I remember my late teens and early 20's...you know...those "crazy 80's". We were an apathetic bunch...the smoke was rolling the powder was flying and the money was flowing...we didn't care. Snap forward to the late 90's and early 2000's...I am suddenly in my 30's and looking around saying....wtf? I got politically active but a day late and a dollar short....

If you want to really make a difference...it starts at the most fundamental level...try "voting".

It starts at the most basic levels....

get to know what the people that want to run your city and county are about...and participate in those municipal elections...then don't you dare miss a state election....these are your "electoral votes"....

Then worry about the national elections....truth is...the POTUS is not as powerful as so many people think he is...he is strapped by congress and if you want to see a POTUS succeed...you must make sure he has a cheering squad (aka Congress) that supports his point of view and direction.

Just my $0.02

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Damrod

I agree totally, Local elections are the most powerful expression of the people´s will.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by godfather420

So your logic is that as long as it isn't affecting you yet you just ignore the other people that it is affecting? In daily life?

This is our collective problem. Most people are selfish.

I am by no means in a police state but damn it is getting close. I choose to use my freedom that I still have to try and help other people from what I don't want to happen to anyone else. That is just called paying it forward. Because there may just be a day when the police state affects you. Going to be a little too late to do something about it when ur locked up without due process huh?

You are also going to feel helpless and just hopefuly there are people that are still freedom lovers who will support you in your endevour rather than selfish people that say "well it aint my problem, hasn't hit me yet."

Come together folks before it is too late. Famous last words "it will never happen to me"

You're right... I like most other Americans are largely unaffected by these perceived intrusions into your privacy and personal life.

I don't fear being locked up without due process, but I do nothing that would warrant such a thing to happen. Nor do I think that that will ever be allowed to happen in this country.

I don't care that you have to take off your shoes before you get into an airport... it has been proven that people WILL put bombs in their shoes. I don't care that people are patted down at random (I have done quite a few domestic and international flights since 9/11) Everyone says that security is a pain at the airport. I was through security within 15 minutes, why? you might ask.... Because I did what they asked me to, when they asked me to do it. These people have a job to do, and I have a place to be. The sooner I make their job easier, the sooner they make my travel possible.

I don't care that you think they are breaking the law by patting you down... they simply are not, have you ever been stopped by a cop? if you have been, I assure you... whether you are white, black, brown, whatever you are going to get patted down for the safety of yourself, and that officer. I see it the same way at airports and other places. My safety is more important to me, than you apparent fear of being touched by anyone.

BTW, you took my quote out of context... I am not OK with being randomly stopped while walking down the street and being searched for no reason. But if you are going to place that could be potentially a target to hurt a lot of people. I would rather that they search you, and everyone entering that place

It was proven on 9/11 that it can happen at any time, and without warning. It has been proven time and again, that these attackers can be both domestic and international. Have we forgotten Oklahoma City? or the snipers that rode around in their car shooting people at random from their trunk (sorry can't recall their names.)

If a kid is being patted down... well he just happened to be that random person. The people who are patting him down are just doing their job, and what they are required to do. Last time I went to mexico, you know how they decided whether you were going to get searched or not? you walked to a kiosk, and hit a button. If the light was green, you could move along. if it was red, you were searched.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join