It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should be able to vote mods out of office.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird

Dammit; Crakeur assured me everyone works out of their car.

I've seen your "car office". Don't know what you're complaining about...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
With any position of power I'm sure being a mod can also give you a power trip.

I think we should be able to vote mods out of office once a year.

No. ATS is very much a benevolent dictatorship. Now if people want a method to report/complain about ineffective or moderators perceived to be biased, that might be a good idea. To demand taking authority away from the site owners(which is what your advocating for, as all moderators are acting as agents of the site owner), well that is nothing more then an exercise in sheer folly.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by AshleyD

I was thinking along the lines of project runway myself.

Please NOOOO! There are a few on the moderating team that I would rather not have a mental, or real picture of on a runway, then again, there are others........

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Disbelief, denial and pointing the finger at their fellow mods saying "No, you!". What an excellent tactic OP, you see how easy they are to turn?
Just a few more doors to break through and you surely will possess The Keys To The Kingdom! I think you might need to watch out for Skeptic Overlord though, I think he can be a bit ornery. At least, the rest all seem scared of him.

Well Mods, it's all coming out now. Cars, offices, offices in cars, water coolers and weekends off? It's sounding more like a paid vacation with every comment.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
ATS isn't a democracy or a republic. The mods are here to keep things civil between members, b/c we all know we can be very rude and hateful to each other when the juices start flowing.

In my opinion, if mods become elected officials, then the real politics would start. I know some members who would gladly ban others if they had the chance. That's too much resposibility.

The mods do a fine job, and I've never had any problem with their work. And yes, I've had violations and warnings, but these were done with respect and courtesy.

Just my two cents!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It always seems like when ever someone on this site gets their panties in a wad over a MOD admonishing a post or thread they made they get all bent out of shape and do things like start thread like this. The MODS should not be voted out since this is a privately owned site. If you dont like what the MODS do or say then move on to another site or suck it up and deal with it.
I am so sick of the constant droning on about how the MODS do this and the MODS do that. JESUS! if it so bothersome to some then go to GLP then.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The matter of "voting them out" has already been addressed, but I'd like to respond to what you said about "being a mod can also give you a power trip".

Having been a mod on another (unrelated) site some time back, I can tell you that far from being a power trip, it was an exhaustion trip!
I spent most of my time on the site just moderating: fixing links in posts, removing OT posts, moving posts to correct threads, advising members of the right way to do things, docking points or adding points, responding to PMs (often 20 or 30 a day), discussing "problem" members with other mods and/or admin, setting up code to block the IPs of identified trolls, yadda yadda yadda.

And all this in two languages as it was a bilingual site...

I had very little time to simply do what I did before I became a mod -- namely enjoy the site -- and I expect many mods here have found that it's the same for them. I take my hat off to them, especially because they are doing it on their own time, unpaid and often unthanked.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I can definitely get down with this notion. I recently caught a mod expressing some very biased views on a controversial topic. No mod should be caught doing that. Will link if requested.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't know about voting them off. I think a hot dog eating contest is much more appropriate...

Loser is outa here!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I can definitely get down with this notion. I recently caught a mod expressing some very biased views on a controversial topic. No mod should be caught doing that. Will link if requested.

Interesting allegation...but linking would probably not be in your best interest!

Just out of curiosity...biased to who...you?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

In that case we might as just well go the full distance and make it Fear Factor or A Mod's Got Talent. SemperFortis does an absolutely unique rendition of Madonna, it really does bring tears to your eyes.

edit on 10/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA Source is himself on the ATS Live show. Which exact one I forget but it's on there. He lost a bet with Nefermore and had to sing Papa Don't Preach.

edit on 10/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 And the loser should be sent to a certain other really crazy forum for a week, just to let them know how good and fun it is here.
Positive reinforcement I think they call that...
edit on 10/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think they should be paid and offered free psychological counseling.. maybe some xanax... for having to mod this lot.

When I dont like a mod action toward my sweet self.. I just flounce off the board in a raging huff with my pantaloons all bunched up for a few months to a year... and then I forget which one pissed me off.. and return. Sadly.. this is true.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I just flounce off the board in a raging huff with my pantaloons all bunched up for a few months to a year... and then I forget which one pissed me off.. and return.

I thought I might be the only one that did this...glad to see I am not alone!

Sometimes I go weeks without posting...like I am really proving my point!

Jeez...this place can be ridiculous sometimes!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

OK ya got me, truthfully I am plotting sweet, sweet revenge whereby I get to stand around looking mystical with a long haired cat in my arms and one finger (the small one) placed vaguely in the vicinity of my lips while all around people senselessly die and I get to deliver oh so witty one liners and NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!! MUA - a ha ha, just kidding. No really....

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by Gwampo

Interesting allegation...but linking would probably not be in your best interest!

Just out of curiosity...biased to who...you?

no, the title was about a dude who had a really rough time recovering from some cancer or some disease and the MOD's OWN HUSBAND went through the same thing but apparently the MOD "had some issues" with what the OP had written.

I was just shocked that this was coming from a MOD. Would expect it from a member or something, but not from a moderator.

I thought it was their job to moderate, not take sides.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I was just shocked that this was coming from a MOD. Would expect it from a member or something, but not from a moderator.

Mods are members...and contribute to threads as members...they can't moderate a thread they are contributing in!

Their posts are under the same scrutiny as ours...if it is inappropriate...it gets axed!

Oh well...I am not in the mod bashing (voting off) or whatever mood today...so carry on...forgive my interruption!
edit on 10-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

They are still members though and, like you or I, free to comment in any thread they choose. The only thing they can't do apparently, like you or I, is moderate that thread after commenting in it. That's a Mod's rule to avoid the whole question of bias.

ETA Perhaps my humour is off today because I am so exuberant. I have been offered a job and it's the answer to all my prayers. 3 years of being unemployed and facing a swift eviction was the old prospect. Well, the eviction may come still but at least I now have work.

edit on 10/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Okay, Maybe you're right... So, let's go with as many 25 yr old pickled hot dogs as you can eat while playing the violin on your head and singing the score from Phantom of the Opera....

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

If they arent modding the thread I dont see a problem with them contributing OR disagreeing with a member. Maybe even vigorously disagreeing. They contribute as members.. they were members before being mods. No problem for me. They arent perfect, and there are some I cant hardly stand just for personality differences ( and have had fantasies of breaking all of their fingers so they cant type.. confession) , but lemme tell you.. modding is a rough job. I owned and modded with a partner an import export for inverts and arachnids that had a large international message board accompanying it. OMG... modding AKA babysitting adults that sometimes act worse than kids.. never again. NEVER!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

Euw! 25 year old hotdogs? Pickled? Euwww! Somehow I don't get the impression these are going to age better like say a fine Whisky, Champagne or Cognac...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join