It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is NO One-Size-Fits-All religion.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Are you expecting me to write your thesis for you?
You don't make a case, or even a coherent thought.
You are just throwing out a couple factoids that in themselves mean nothing.

Maybe I'm more concerned with throwing a net to the lost than making sure some stiff-necked goat gets a new revelation. You're an old wine skin therefore are disqualified for new wine.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Maybe I'm more concerned with throwing a net to the lost than making sure some stiff-necked goat gets a new revelation. You're an old wine skin therefore are disqualified for new wine.

So labeling people and deciding who is disqualified is "throwing a net to the lost"?
I don't understand you, NuT. Lately I understand you even less than I thought I did before. I don't understand any of you here who insist you are trying to "save" people from "heresies" by simply insulting them and ostracizing them and telling them you are the only ones who really know.

Do you really not see the double-standard in that? You have YET to prove anything or to provide any sources except the Bible, your pastor guy, and a few doctors.

What none of your lot seem to "get", for all your "IQ points" and "reading too much" is that

being nasty, dismissive, calling names, ridiculing and simply starting 9 out of 10 posts with "No" is not going to win friends and followers!

edit on 18-4-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Since this seems to be the de facto current "book club" thread, I thought I would give a recommendation for a book since good theological books in the Kindle format (at a reasonable price) are hard to find. I ran into this one yesterday while searching for (free) PDF versions of theological essays. I haven't bought it yet so I can't give a testimonial of it but I do have some familiarity with the author from him being quoted in other books.
The book is The Sheep of the Fold (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series) by Edward W. Klink III.
It deals with the question of if it is, or is not, important to be able to discern who exactly was the intended audience of a particular book in order to properly understand the message, while using John as an example, by actually trying to figure out who the intended audience is. The Sheep of the Fold

Speaking of good PDF's, I found a good one yesterday on John 11, but not the type you can read on Kindle, being just raw scanned pages instead of digitized text. May want to grab it while you can since these things have a habit of disappearing if there is a (very exspensive) pay version available. It is the Hermeneutics broken down as an analysis of the narrative style in such a way that makes it understandable what Jesus meant by saying he was the resurrection.
edit on 18-4-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

being nasty, dismissive, calling names, ridiculing and simply starting 9 out of 10 posts with "No" is not going to win friends and followers!

Friends and followers are probably low priority when it comes to idealizing iron scepters and bloody swords, and an "escape hatch" for the "blessed few".

As far as whether that religion is "one size fits all"? Sure it is, if seen from the perspective of "the blessed few"; bliss for few, slavery for some, abject tribute paying by many, death for most. The sum is: every one is accounted for. A grim look at universalism, I'd say.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Oops, accidental double post.

Hey! Catch my Short story contest entry at link in sig.

edit on 18-4-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

I think your body was completely aware of what it was doing, while your thinking mind was in another dimension.
Your body went into pure survival mode and did what it could not have consciously planned and executed.
edit on 18-4-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

No star? No flag? I really want to win the coveted ATS Writer label. That's the prize.

@Wildtimes, sorry for the off-topic, it's a contest. I covet victory!
The Ruler of the World Writing Contest [WRC]

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Oh, then you could be like WildTimes, with "Writer" under your user name.
I went ahead and gave your thread a flag and your post a star, and wrote a reply.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It deals with the question of if it is, or is not, important to be able to discern who exactly was the intended audience of a particular book in order to properly understand the message, while using John as an example, by actually trying to figure out who the intended audience is. The Sheep of the Fold

Speaking of good PDF's, I found a good one yesterday on John 11, but not the type you can read on Kindle, being just raw scanned pages instead of digitized text. May want to grab it while you can since these things have a habit of disappearing if there is a (very exspensive) pay version available.

FABULOUS!!!
Thanks so much....have downloaded the John 11, and will see if the library might have or can get the Sheep of the Fold for me to look at until I can afford it myself...

I think it is crucial that we understand the intended or expected audience...the nature of their backgrounds, educational level, social status (or lack thereof)....
thanks so much Dewey!

(And also for finding this worthy of being called the de facto Book Club...God knows I try)...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Oops, accidental double post.

Will do!!
Hey, if you write, you're already a writer. more on that later...
but yeah, you did that on purpose to have a double post to fill in with something else

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Hey, if you write, you're already a writer. more on that later...
but yeah, you did that on purpose to have a double post to fill in with something else

No. Really. My mouse often does a double-tap. Purely accidental.

Can the Writer label be purchased with points or something? I've often wondered.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Cult leaders seek followers. Insecure people and politicians need lots and lots of friends. I've been called to shake trees. And I serve God Wild, I'd rather have all men hate me and Him happy then for all men to throw me roses and roll out the red carpet and have God's wrath upon my head.

In another thread you got angry because I was being cordial. I didn't say anything rude to you, but also I don't need a mother, I have a great one already. Stop telling me what I need to do to ensure you have a pleasant web browsing experience. I never do that to you. So don't keep asking if we're friends and in the same breath tell me what I need to do all the time. You could send me a u2u and ask if I'm having a bad day or something. I talk with Akragon all the time in private.

Relax, jm is a big boy, he has no problem lying and slandering me ad nauseaum, I think if he can dish it out he's big enough to swallow his own medicine.

edit on 18-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Friends and followers are probably low priority when it comes to idealizing iron scepters and bloody swords, and an "escape hatch" for the "blessed few".

When I decide to run for office you can be my campaign manager okay? Not here for votes, and I have friends on Facebook.

edit on 18-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

. . . I think if he can dish it out he's big enough to swallow his own medicine.
I think I like the "pleasant web browsing experience" idea, myself.
And I think I am mature enough to understand that I get into theology because I am desperate to understand it because I want to know . . you know . . things.
I don't get myself into a delusion frame of mind where I believe somehow I am earning brownie points with God.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

My web browsing experience is always pleasant, because my happiness isn't in what people say, or what people do, it's not in the economy, it's not in the price of gas, it's not in anything of the world, it's in the Lord and no one can take Him away.

Life is always good, even during tribulations I can praise Him because tribulations work patience.

Always good times. And didn't say anything about "brownie points".

edit on 19-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

In another thread you got angry because I was being cordial. I didn't say anything rude to you, but also I don't need a mother, I have a great one already. Stop telling me what I need to do to ensure you have a pleasant web browsing experience. I never do that to you. So don't keep asking if we're friends and in the same breath tell me what I need to do all the time. You could send me a u2u and ask if I'm having a bad day or something.

You ended your comment with 'lady'. I don't need to tell you why that can be considered rude, "bub".
I am not interested in being your mother...this is a thread that I am hosting, thanks....and my response to you was intended to 'suggest' that you might refrain from insisting that everyone else is wrong.

I don't need your friendship or input to have a pleasant browsing experience...the statement was to say what it said...your manner is not one that is going to persuade many people to your pov.

You tell people every day what they "need to do."!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Cool, points noted, enjoy your thread.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
".in explaining that there isn't one faith that suits everyone;"

I'll tell you a faith that suits just about everyone. The faith that putting out the foot in front of the self and subsequently putting the wait on that foot will, then doing the same with the other foot will lead to something called walking. That is to say, you can't even take one step without faith. And, considering that, despite the number of religions abounding, those religions tend to deal with the fineries and not the normalcies of life.
edit on 19-4-2012 by capob because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by capob

Dude, is there some particular reason that you are now stalking me just so you can troll? Some problem? Or is it coincidence that you have shown up out of nowhere in my two threads here just to be a smartass?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by capob

Dude, is there some particular reason that you are now stalking me just so you can troll? Some problem? Or is it coincidence that you have shown up out of nowhere in my two threads here just to be a smartass?

Coincidence. I had to post 20 replies before I could start posting threads, and your threads kept coming up. And, I certainly wasn't intending to be a smartass - rather, just to bring some light and levity to the threads. Stop responding to my replies and I will certainly stop posting on your threads.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join