It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Propane

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

if you want to parody long term off-grid peeps, shouldnt you look for alternative heating methods? for instance humans used firewood for some 100,000 years.. it worked for them. will you seek to make a homemade microwave oven as well?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
www.woodgas.net...
F.E.M.A. wood gas generator and how to use it
from circa ww 2
its well tested technology

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
You're going to put Hank Hill out of business.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

1. Eat lots of beans
  2. Capture and store relevant portion of end result
  3. Use as needed

Note: An open-air camp may be best in conjunction with this method of biofuel generation.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Once for that joke was enough, methinks.
edit on 4/11/2012 by Tsurugi because: Double post

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Saw a doco once, where the Indians, in India, they lived out in the jungle, were they collected Elephant dung, put in a large container, were it gave off methane, and they used that to fuel there cookers.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I'd go the metho-stove route.

www.ebay.com.au... &hash=item27c5ce7470#ht_897wt_1366

You could knock up fuel with a reflux-still and a few ingredients. Sugar, yeast, etc....

Initially it would require quite a few batches to get a steady flow of alcohol for cooking etc, but once you had the knack of it, it would be a plausible replacement for modern fuels.

Personally, I would use the still to make moonshine and burn wood instead.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by douggie60
Saw a doco once, where the Indians, in India, they lived out in the jungle, were they collected Elephant dung, put in a large container, were it gave off methane, and they used that to fuel there cookers.
The Chinese had a program years ago where they provided bio-generators to farmers to create methane from human and animal waste for fuel to cook, heat and generate power.
China's program

The effluent from the reactors is an odourless dark coloured slurry. The primary application of the effluent is as an agricultural fertilizer. Other applications include as a feed supplement for pigs, mushroom growing media, fertilizer for fish ponds, worm rearing media (the worms are then fed to chickens), and media for soaking seeds prior to germination.
^^from the source^^- note my bolding. The next time you purchase canned mushrooms, note what country that they come from. A lot are from China now.

edit on 11-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario, you'd probably go looting convenience stores for propane containers. Typically have them outside. A pair of bolt cutters, and you're golden. Of course, I'm only advocating this in the event of a total societal breakdown.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
In a SHTF scenario, you'd probably go looting convenience stores for propane containers. Typically have them outside. A pair of bolt cutters, and you're golden. Of course, I'm only advocating this in the event of a total societal breakdown.

I have a friend who has inspired many of my threads, completely brilliant...I love picking his brain and going back and forth with him in discussions...

He says that it won't be societal breakdown, so much as governmental breakdown. We will rise up as one and shatter the system, breaking our chains and freeing ourselves from the oppression and suffering that is poisoning us from the underbelly on upwards. The only question is...when?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by badazz

if you want to parody long term off-grid peeps, shouldnt you look for alternative heating methods? for instance humans used firewood for some 100,000 years.. it worked for them. will you seek to make a homemade microwave oven as well?

What part don't you guys understand about "TENTS WILL BURN VERY EASILY"?

Yes. I'm totally going to use firewood in a bloody tent. See how fast I turn into a roast pheasant.

I would say more regarding the level of NOT thinking that goes into these suggestions, but I would probably be permabanned.

First rule of camping: no fires inside the tent!

Common sense, people. Should try upgrading it once in a while.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Cabelas doesn't seem to worry about getting sued over fires in tents: Outfitter/cabin tents (they list for under $1,000.00)

I heard propane has the ability to burn tents too.

What the heck do you want to live in a tent for anyway?

If you must live in a little tent, get a quality, mummy-style sleeping bag. You won't need heat.

edit on 12-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Cabelas doesn't seem to worry about getting sued over fires in tents: Outfitter/cabin tents (they list for under $1,000.00)

I heard propane has the ability to burn tents too.

What the heck do you want to live in a tent for anyway?

If you must live in a little tent, get a quality, mummy-style sleeping bag. You won't need heat.

edit on 12-4-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

It's called "camping". You may have heard of it.

Also, propane has safeguards. Devices that prevent heat from igniting external materials on accident. Fire...well, it's fire.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So...me and my friend were discussing ways of surviving out in the wilderness of you had to

That quote is from your original post.

You don't 'have to' camp.
Maybe you should check some things out before you go on heating a tent with propane.
Carbon monoxide deaths

Backpacker.com

Propane can leak, which in turn can cause asphyxiation or an explosion. Even if a heater in a tent doesn't produce carbon monoxide, it can use up the oxygen you need to breathe or produce carbon dioxide at levels which are injurious to health.

As for your original question about homemade propane: Propane is also called liquified petroleum gas. To turn the gas(as it is found in nature- boiling point is -42 degrees F) into a liquid, you must compress it and or remove heat. A machine to accomplish this could be converted from household refrigeration or air conditioning devices, but I would not recommend it at all. Propane is a very good refrigerant, but it is not used for that purpose, mainly because it is explosive,

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Uhm, the last time I went camping, twas in the Oregon Wilderness on the side of Mt. Hood. We kept the fire outside the tent, and used sleeping bags for warmth inside. In fact, the only thing we kept inside was a Coleman Lantern, which was extinguished before sleeping. Morning came, and we stoked the coals back to life.

Never had a need for propane.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

So...me and my friend were discussing ways of surviving out in the wilderness of you had to

That quote is from your original post.

You don't 'have to' camp.
Maybe you should check some things out before you go on heating a tent with propane.
Carbon monoxide deaths

Backpacker.com

Propane can leak, which in turn can cause asphyxiation or an explosion. Even if a heater in a tent doesn't produce carbon monoxide, it can use up the oxygen you need to breathe or produce carbon dioxide at levels which are injurious to health.

As for your original question about homemade propane: Propane is also called liquified petroleum gas. To turn the gas(as it is found in nature- boiling point is -42 degrees F) into a liquid, you must compress it and or remove heat. A machine to accomplish this could be converted from household refrigeration or air conditioning devices, but I would not recommend it at all. Propane is a very good refrigerant, but it is not used for that purpose, mainly because it is explosive,

Um, yes. And the subject came up because we are planning on going camping.

He's done it before and had no problems. Used two tanks, too. Got them from a friend who was trying to sell his grill. Maybe you're reading too much into this post. Much to my relief, I see you've answered my question.

Much to my exasperation, I see it is essentially the same answer that has been repeated multiple times in this thread. Thanks anyway.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

He's done it before and had no problems

Well then, by all means, go for it.

Some things have inherent dangers associated with them, but people choose to do it anyway.

What kind of answer did you expect to the 'How can I make propane at home?' question?

How can I 'make' a fossil fuel byproduct gas, liquify it and put it into a container under pressure at home? I work in the combustion industry and I would not think of trying to do such a thing, even if I could come up with the condensable gases that are found in field-borne natural gas.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join