It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two of Latin America's deadliest gangs join forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

www.utsandiego.com

Now, Guatemalan authorities say, they have begun to see new and disturbing evidence of an alliance between the Maras and another of the most feared criminal organizations in Latin America - a deal with the potential to further undermine that U.S.-backed effort to fight violent crime and narcotics trafficking in the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

In recent months, authorities say, they have begun to see the first signs that the Zetas are providing paramilitary training and equipment to the Maras in exchange for intelligence and crimes meant to divert law-enforcement resources and attention.

The Zetas, formed more than a decade ago by defectors from Mexico's army special forces, have already joined forces with local drug kingpins in the Guatemalan countryside, and recruited turncoat members of Guatemala's military special forces for operations in Mexico and Guatemala, officials in the two neighboring countries have said.

I believe there is some concern that the militarized Zeta model could be implemented North of the border should the economic downturn (combined with the burgeoning black market) continue unabated.

And now we are seeing the next stage in the metastasis of a failed state: when cartels conglomerate into a multinational army.

www.utsandiego.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

they already have allies up here. sad but true

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

That was a lot of US military work to help create this new monster drug trafficking alliance, was it not? Our tax dollars hard at work! Get your taxes in quick, we only have a couple of days left…. Who knows what monsters we have yet to have our US military create?

notmytribe.com...

Seems the US had a role in the creation of this alliance. And the US is currently providing money and supplies to tackle this problem. But, I think the US will eventually get more involved militarily.

What role do you think America's drug dependence play on this alliance?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CharonIncarnate

Sadder still, that their allies are several fringe letter agencies within our own federal gov.

So criminals know how to team up and effect change, when will law abiding folks learn how?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharonIncarnate

they already have allies up here. sad but true

Yes, like the agency that trained the Zetas, the CIA. Sad but true.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have been anticipatinmg such a move on the Zetas part for some time....the thinking being its root hog or die and they cannot survive without expanding their operations, and they hadnt the numbers to make such an expansion yet.....
This gives the Zetas a whole new army of young and willing soldiers if they can pull it off....
With such an organisation behind them, it is just small steps to total control of most of the drug business in Guatemala and Mexico.
One gang at a time ,they could concievably have the firepower to take control.......................The only way they could be stopped is if the armies and the other cartels joined forces to rout them out.....!
The Sinaloa cartel, may be the one the Mexican goverment can work with, (tongue in cheek)
And it may be that that Guatemala could also do the same...
I see the possibility of othe street ganags siezing the opportunityto sign up with the Zetas, who are well trained in guerrilla warfare and doctrines.
In the underworld its not too hard to see the advantages of such unions and international borders the become a mere hindrance ....
I can not imagine what the Zetas could be up to exactly, but they could , with the right circumstance, wrest practical control of much of the two countries from their goverments....
With many more gangs involved, the possibilities are frightening.....
Maybe a total wall across the sounthern border wasnt such an expensive plan after all.......

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
guess even chaos needs time to become ordered.

good post

--Nick

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

You can see where the greatest amount of corruption is by identifying government leaders who are the most opposed to finding alternative solutions to the failed Drug War policies. There exists one fairly benign concession that could make drug control policies manageable and successful, however it is near impossible to make profit off a weed that would virtually grow anywhere. Those who oppose that concession, with a very few mis-guided exceptions, are obviously in it for the profit and not for the common good.

The Zetas seem to be that particular outfit that are working "the big agenda" for the corrupt element in government. They are playing by a different set of rules than the other factions in the game and they're whose grand purpose is to create the most instability. I have little doubt they have agency backing.

One thing we do know for certain is that any government involved in this is not being forthright and honest in discussing the real agenda when they address the public. Mexico is no more corrupt than the US and is certainly playing for much lower stakes. There is a semi-legitimate sub-economy up north built around Drug War policy and the prison wardens, police chiefs, and policy-makers are not being forthright in speaking about their bigger agenda either. This rabbit hole goes very deep and very high.

edit on 9-4-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is why the United States should have been more worried about what is south of there border and not about where the oil is. I can only hope that violence at the US Mexico border doesn't skyrocket. Everyone down that way keep safe!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I guess I should not find it unusual that at a time when it is announced that Latin American leaders will be gathering for a summit conference in Cartagena, Colombia for an unprecedented discussion of alternative and liberalized drug control strategies to replace the failed US-led model that the media begins to blitz us with mis-guided scary-tales about Mexico and an urgency to militarily invade us for humanitarian reasons. My thread on this subject gets trashed by the ATS modsquad while other drug-themed threads appear and thrive - one with fairly clear racial overtones.

Things are mostly very quiet here in Mexico with the only big news in my area was about transportations services being interrupted for a few days as some university students had hijacked several buses during a protest where they were demanding free transportation for themselves throughout the state of Michoacán and want job guarantees upon graduation. That's far from US media contrived narco-violence but it's about the biggest thing we've experienced down here all year in this area.

Other than that all is quiet, all is well, and the only fear I have is for my dentist appointment tomorrow.

edit on 9-4-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Thank you for the on the ground perspective.

My uncle resided in La Paz until very recently, and his account of the cartel activity coincides with yours.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23

Republicans and Democrats?

UN and CFL?

Morgan and Rockefeller?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
That particular business is a life of ease and wild thrills. Truly a conjuring of dark forces. As Payday Monsanto said "I ain't sellin' no more crack for the CIA". As Immortal Technique said "I'm on parole, and i'm never going back again. Never selling heroine, never selling crack again, DON'T work for the government coke-packagin', don't fire indiscriminate with the mac again"

The CIA has been caught so many times trafficking that garbage onto our soil, and I won't stand for it. I've seen the destructive properties drugs can have on people, and really the only way to positively and permanently effect happiness is to build REAL serotonin in your mind, through natural remedies such as exercise and meditation, even prayer. Substance use leads people into a cop-out style of happiness - or even the projection lifestyle in which making fun of others to throne yourself becomes your happiness. That ish kills, for real.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

new topics

top topics

join