It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NetFlix creates pro-SOPA super-PAC?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Made a search but didn't find it.

Appropriately titled FLIXPAC, the just established-agency will be able to endorse politicians by way of stuffing their pockets, which in turn could influence even more congressmen to condone increasingly controversial bills that are being considered in the House and the Senate.

Article

Ok, I guess I'm gonna be saving a few bucks a month by not subscribing to NetFlix. I guess people rather make money than safeguarding their civil liberties. We're one step closser to having the freedom of speech revoked. What are your thoughts on this?

edit on 9-4-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Never had it.
Now, I never will.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Now I wish I never did...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Netflix has stated they will not be taking a position on SOPA.. They did support it publicly before, as did many companies .. but they back-tracked like the rest of them..

www.mediaite.com...

I'm not happy they ever supported SOPA .. but many companies did until they understood the full effect of the bill .. they don't appear to be supporting it now .. ( besides, isn't it dead? )

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

just cancelled. I hate it because I really enjoy their service, but I refuse to let one dime of my money go towards using the Constitution as toilet paper.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Netflix has stated they will not be taking a position on SOPA.. They did support it publicly before, as did many companies .. but they back-tracked like the rest of them..

www.mediaite.com...

I'm not happy they ever supported SOPA .. but many companies did until they understood the full effect of the bill .. they don't appear to be supporting it now .. ( besides, isn't it dead? )

This recent development contradicts that. Not only are they "taking a stand" with SOPA-like legislation, they are now using the money they get from their subscribers, for CAMPAIGN DONATIONS TO PARTIES THAT SUPPORT IT:

www.rawstory.com...

I'm not subscribed. But anyone who is, should be aware of this.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Obviously. Money is the root of all prosperity in this world, and prosperity leads to a longer, more comfortable life.

I mean, everyone fears death. Especially the rich people. Money can't buy safety and wine in the afterlife, you know.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Netflix SUCKS anyways. One of the worst online video services ever.

I mean, if you want to watch movies that won academy awards......in the 1980's, that's the place to go.

Stream some TV shows, ya know, Family Guy, the Office, etc.

Or maybe if you're into really bad action films and B Movies, Netflix is the choice.

I hear Netflix is adding Star Wars to their database....those guys are hip to the times. Oh and Driving Miss Daisy is featured this week...party!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just cancelled my account and posted it on facebook and asked people to cancel their account ..

We need to do this for stuff like GMO, and other companies who use questionable practices.
The people need to start making smarter choices and surveying their options logically.
We grease the wheels with our spending habits, our choices are illusion, when one out of 3 companies make all the products you consume or use on a daily basis. Our freedom is an illusion.

Instead of covering true human rights issues we're fed race wars and biased election coverage.
The psychological war is in full effect; we should be fighting against tyranny and oppression instead of each-other.

They use all of the emotionally charged rhetoric in the media to cover the more technical/logical news ... Like flashing some pretty colors on a TV screen while they make your cage smaller.

Then these big companies like NetFlix use the money we gave them to circumvent our freedoms.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Just called Netflix Canada to confirm. The customer rep. had not heard anything about it but called it creepy when I described what they had done. She was suprised that Netflix had not educated her on this so she could provide a better answer but stated this would not affect Canadian Netflix.......Cancelled!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

According to Forbes

PAC formation is “another political tool with which to aggressively press a pro-intellectual property, anti-video piracy agenda,” the company has historically been much more outspoken about federal issues like net neutrality

It's just natural for Netflix to be anti-piracy. But to go into the political arena and be able to lend support finacialy... They lost me for good now. And as for pressing for net neutrality, of course they will. They're a business. They'll say anything to keep their clients.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Tell everybody you know. We have a voice just like Netflix does......and that voice is dollars. Stop your subscription and take away their influence pedaling powers.
brice

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I guess I will continue to pirate movies. Netflix started out as the underdog, and now they are the big dogs...have they forgotten what they fought for?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Netflix will survive and thrive for the same reason Wal-mart does; a superior product at cheaper prices.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

Compared to free off the net?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by brice
reply to post by capone1

Compared to free off the net?

Yes. The average Netflix member would not pirate too much. It scares them, and seems too complicated. I dont have sources or figures, but your average Netflx member are those who are sick of Blockbuster, not those who would pirate every movie they want to see. Netflix is too good of a product.
I'm not taking sides, but that is the truth. Kind of like Itunes, it thrives because it's easy and seems cheap.
edit on 10-4-2012 by capone1 because: typo

edit on 10-4-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

I agree, it is easy, programming is not too bad and its cheap and comes in hd. The problem is that by subscribing, it's aiding them sensor the net. It is imperative to take away their financial voice. Tell your friends!
brice

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Read the updated version.
(UPDATE: Netflix says its PAC has nothing to do with SOPA – details here)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Read the updated version.
(UPDATE: Netflix says its PAC has nothing to do with SOPA – details here)

Details where?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I just canceled my netflick subscription yesterday.

The last few years was good for netflicks and users, people realized they could cancel there cable tv and just watch netflicks. The cable companies through there lobbyist passed legislation (sorry don't remember the exact law) that now allows internet (cable) companies to limit how much you can download... This is making buying a bundle from local cable companies and dropping netflicks cheaper...

Netflicks is attempting to do what the cable companies did, they are attempting to pay off congress for a law that will benefit them...

This is how our system works.

Honestly linking this to SOPA is disinfo IMHO.
edit on 12-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join