Somalia market bombing in Baidoa kills 11

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Just read this BBC article:

(BBC) At least 11 people have been killed by a bomb in the market area of the central Somali town of Baidoa.

The governor of the region, Abdifitah Mohamed Gesey, told the BBC that more than 30 other people had been badly injured - mostly women and children.

In February Ethiopian troops seized Baidoa from the Islamist militia al-Shabab.

Witnesses said the bomb exploded shortly after Somali government troops entered the market.

Mr Gesey blamed al-Shabab for the attack, but so far no organisation has said it was behind the attack.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Does anyone know who could have done this, and with what motive in mind? I keep hearing terrible stories about this very unstable region.
edit on 9-4-2012 by chemistry because: spell

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

hi there, im not exactly sure whats going on in Somalia at the moment, but it does indeed seem to be a very unstable region... poor buggers.
but in answer to your question about who could have done this... i may have an answer, but as always we cant be entirely sure, but heres what i found anyway.

Breaking News: Al Shabaab Strike Again Baidoa Market Bombing 11 Killed 30 Wounded Somalia market bombing in Baidoa kills 11 At least 11 people have been killed by a bomb in the market area of the central Somali town of Baidoa.

www.somaliaonline.com... ded?p=816722

Also heres a link that will explain who the Al Shabaab are...

Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen (HSM) (Arabic: حركة الشباب المجاهدين‎; Ḥarakat ash-Shabāb al-Mujāhidīn, "Mujahideen Youth Movement" or "Movement of Striving Youth"), more commonly known as al-Shabaab (Arabic: الشباب‎, "The Youth" or "The Boys"), is the Somalia-based terrorist cell of the militant Islamist group al-Qaeda, formally recognized in 2012. As of 2012, the outfit controls large swathes of the southern parts of the country, where it is said to have imposed its own strict form of Sharia law. Al-Shabaab's troop strength as of May 2011 is estimated at 14,426 militants. In February 2012, Al-Shabaab leaders quarreled with Al-Qaeda over the union, and quickly lost ground.

en.wikipedia.org...

So it may very well have been these folks... but the motives ? Who knows... and i dont know if i wanna know to tell you the truth...!
edit on 9-4-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join