It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From the country of Texas to the Kingdom Hawaii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Texas became an independent republic in 1836, but it joined the US as a state almost 10 years later.
Hawaii had a monarchy before becoming a state of the US.

Question, to all you historians and US citizens. How many states of the US were strong armed, tricked into, bribed or by some other nefarious means became a state of the US?

Obviously, adding states has not really been an issue, but seceding has been.
Do you support a States right to secede if it feels that the federal government has become too powerful or some other important issue. Would you fight in a civil war to keep that state from seceding or help your state to secede?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

Not sure about the specifics on other states, but the ancestral lands of my forefathers in Hawaii were definitely stolen by the US.

If the people of that state were to decide to secede, I'd definitely support their right to do so provided there were viable options for survival as an independent entity.
edit on 4/9/2012 by ~Vixen~ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~
reply to post by FoosM

Not sure about the specifics on other states, but the ancestral lands of my forefathers in Hawaii were definitely stolen by the US.

If the people of that state were to decide to secede, I'd definitely support their right to do so provided there were viable options for survival as an independent entity.
edit on 4/9/2012 by ~Vixen~ because: (no reason given)

Hawaii had a sustainable ecosystem before it was populated by US Americans. Not sure how sustainable it is with its much larger population. Im thinking they will be looking at Japan and China for tourism and trade though if they had to.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

A 2008 Zogby International poll revealed that 22% of Americans believed that "any state or region has the right to peaceably secede and become an independent republic."

The United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional while commenting that revolution or consent of the states could lead to a successful secession

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join