Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What to do if you see 10-20$ falling off someone pocket ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Exercise caution when picking up money that's not yours.

Case in point - watch this vid:

Synopsis:

- Guy drops coins on the floor and points at but never makes effort to pick up
- Couple grabs the "loot"
- An accomplice, a girl, grabs victim's bag and strolls away
edit on 10-4-2012 by headb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm not one to judge, but all those saying they'd keep it or keep it/give it back depending on your own financial circumstances - you need your head screwed on. Why would you want to steal from someone else?

My sister dropped her wallet in the street as recently as last week, she was on the way to the bank to pay her rent and for the MOT on her car. The wallet had £600 in it ($1000+). The wallet was returned by some guy, minus the money however.

Some scumbag obviously saw the wallet, looked inside, saw the picture of my sister and her two little kids, took the money and threw it down the alley where it was found.

Sister was obviously devestated - it was her only money.

I do trust however that whoever stole the money will get what they deserve. Whether it be in the next week or the next twenty years, Karma will get them.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannyfal
What I see in this thread is the "New Age" perspective. Where people want to do good to "increase their karma" which is no different from a Christian wanting to do good to get into heaven. If you are doing something good for any reason other than doing the good act, then is it really a moral act? In other words, if I give the money back to create good karma/avoid bad karama, isn't that just me doing something to avoid a negative consequence?
I understand what you're saying but a good deed is still a good deed. Whatever motivates you to do good is still better than being a jerk. Rewarding yourself spiritually for doing a good deed is very similar to being monetarily rewarded by the person who lost the thing. Both can motivate people to do what's right. With enough practice it soon becomes habit without any expectations.

Nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back for doing good. It's a good feeling as long as you don't get too full of yourself.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
what is relative is by definition free but as an individual thing, plus

like u say, well what is individual thing here is only to give back the money yeah

ohh and wat about the ugly individual smile watching u as a servent giving him credit of being possessor of things by ur own free hands, isnt also an individual fact? or about u went down on the floor spend some time efforts done alone to pick smthg from the floor to another, wat is that? isnt it also a relative plus fact?

but the fact is individual relative is multiple individualities, when then the true reality of those multiple relativities is the relative individual thing

wat do u know about the guy? how it doesnt count there, why does he keep money in his pocket how his pocket must be a safe locker for eternity that everyone must ensure for nothing ?

but no, u keep focusing on u only as relative individual fact being plus as one thing right to do, how one thing u do become the relative right instead of u?? for free absolute earnings rights

i dunno why u believe that everything belong to possessors, instead of admitting that everything belong to everything fact reality
but then why do u insist on meaning urselves morality since u obviously dont exist as moral facts out of everything

wat is that nonsense?? it is u

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I would have to at least attempt to give the money back to the person... I would not feel right about spending it if I kept it. I feel guilty when I don't notice that a cashier has given me back to much change because I know that later on that person's register is going to be short and they might get in trouble. What might seem like a gift at the time might be hurtful to someone else. I remember several years ago around Christmas time my Dad gave me $20 to go in to Barnes and Noble to buy my mom something for Christmas from him. I put it in my pocket headed in and went shopping. Just as I was about to check out I realized it had dropped out of my pocket. I mentioned it to one of the clerks in the store and she even made an an announcement about it - but we both said it was probably a waste of time. That $20 was a lot of money to my Dad and so I pulled together my own money so I wouldn't have to tell him that I had lost it. Of course it was Christmas and I didn't have a lot of extra money myself. But I was embarrassed to tell my Dad I had lost it because he would have felt the necessity to give me more money to replace it. I just tried to think that maybe someone that needed it even more than me found it. And instead of being bitter I just chocked it up as a Christmas gift to a stranger. The thing was it wasn't my money to lose. I think of that anytime I see anyone drop any belonging be it money or some possession that might not seem very important to me - you have no idea that person's circumstance and what you returning it them can mean.

And as far as if someone dropped $1000 dollars... my grandmother was really old school and did not really trust banks. She did have a bank account but only used it if absolutely necessary. She grew up in the depression. So when she got her Social Security Check each month she would cash it and then use it to pay bills, etc. So if someone saw that she had dropped $1000 they might think, well if she has that much to drop she must a lot more so what's the big deal ... but that $1000 was her money for the entire month. If she had lost it she wouldn't have been able to buy groceries or meds or pay her utilities... I use to warn her about carrying such large sums of money...but of course she didn't listen to me - the younger generation. Just something to think about.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory

What I see in this thread is the "New Age" perspective. Where people want to do good to "increase their karma" which is no different from a Christian wanting to do good to get into heaven. If you are doing something good for any reason other than doing the good act, then is it really a moral act? In other words, if I give the money back to create good karma/avoid bad karama, isn't that just me doing something to avoid a negative consequence?
I understand what you're saying but a good deed is still a good deed. Whatever motivates you to do good is still better than being a jerk. Rewarding yourself spiritually for doing a good deed is very similar to being monetarily rewarded by the person who lost the thing. Both can motivate people to do what's right. With enough practice it soon becomes habit without any expectations.

Nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back for doing good. It's a good feeling as long as you don't get too full of yourself.

Agreed. But where I disagree with others and maybe yourself is that there are not things that are inherently considered a "good" deed or "bad" deed. Things are a lot more complicated and interrelated than that.

Things just are the way they are. It is just our subjective judgements that are placed on these deeds that distort what is going on. My point is if you take the money or leave the money or even put a gun to someone's head and take their money there is no "karma" being built up whether negative or positive.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
what is relative is by definition free but as an individual thing, plus

like u say, well what is individual thing here is only to give back the money yeah

ohh and wat about the ugly individual smile watching u as a servent giving him credit of being possessor of things by ur own free hands, isnt also an individual fact? or about u went down on the floor spend some time efforts done alone to pick smthg from the floor to another, wat is that? isnt it also a relative plus fact?

but the fact is individual relative is multiple individualities, when then the true reality of those multiple relativities is the relative individual thing

wat do u know about the guy? how it doesnt count there, why does he keep money in his pocket how his pocket must be a safe locker for eternity that everyone must ensure for nothing ?

but no, u keep focusing on u only as relative individual fact being plus as one thing right to do, how one thing u do become the relative right instead of u?? for free absolute earnings rights

i dunno why u believe that everything belong to possessors, instead of admitting that everything belong to everything fact reality
but then why do u insist on meaning urselves morality since u obviously dont exist as moral facts out of everything

wat is that nonsense?? it is u

I'm sorry dude I really don't understand your posts - i've read them a few times now over different pages and I'm struggling. I take it English isn't your first language?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If I SEEN it fall from the persons pocket. I'd give it back, no question.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
First time i went to Atlantic City, some guy dropped a $5 chip (yeah i know that's nothing) i picked it up and gave it back to him. He told me to keep it and i thanked him and walked away.
edit on 10-4-2012 by scottromansky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Happened to me a few days ago at a corner while waiting to pay for gas. I gave it back to the guy. Stuff like that has always been a no brainer for me. I've never had the urge to keep what wasn't mine. If someone else decides to do different, I'm not gonna be the guy whining about doing the right thing either. To each his/her own.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If you see someone drop it, you give it back, always.

If you see a bill on the ground and there is no one around, make sure John Quinones isn't hiding in a van somewhere, then look around like you WANT to give it back, then stick it in your pocket.

edit on 10-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

there is no "karma" being built up whether negative or positive.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Most people are decent, I think. I know whenever I'm on the train, if someone gets up and leaves something behind, an mp3 player or even an ebook reader, EVERY time, I've seen someone (and myself twice), grabbed it and yelled "hey wait!" and gave it back. I'd like to think that most folks are decent at heart. Not all are obviously, but most.

On the flip side, I found 20 bucks sticking out of one of those automatic checkouts at the grocery store. I thought.. should I give this to customer service? I thought.. the chance of it making it back to the correct owner is probably 0%. So I kept it. Sometimes I'm a bit cynical about other's nature. Maybe myself and others shouldn't be quite so cynical at times.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
If you see someone drop it, you give it back, always.

If you see a bill on the ground and there is no one around, make sure John Quinones isn't hiding in a van somewhere, then look around like you WANT to give it back, then stick it in your pocket.

edit on 10-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

I have picked up money before on the ground
i remember last time at the central train station so many people walking by a 5$
not shy to pick up the 5$ on the floor

pretty sure my self droped money on the flloor a few time
think i lost 20$ by taking my access card out a couple months ago

But it is our moral obligation between all to help out another
show the exemple will be the best thing you can do in your life
bringing out good worth more then anything in the world

never stop the good deeds
It is a chain reaction .. time to break the record of good deeds
the world depends on it
edit on 4/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Funny topic. I found a $20 bill in macy's when shopping with my wife. I didn't see it fall from anyone so I wasn't sure whose it was. I waited asmy wife was on line tohear if anyone said they lost money. Nobody said anything, so it's mine.

Still will never make up for the amounts of money I've lost when I used to party. Used to lose my wallet filled with hundreds.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I truly don't think it's a matter of how your financial situation is. Years ago when I didn't have a job and had no money for bills, I found a wallet with $300 in it in a grocery store parking lot. I returned it without hesitation. To me, it's simply the right thing to do. I realize it's not the same for everybody, and I understand that. I may be naive or stupid or whatever, but giving it back was something that I could NOT not do.
I think it's far more nature and the way a person is than any external factors.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Yes. It is still the right thing to do and, ergo, a moral act.

What does it matter that the person returning the lost item is doing so because (1) he believes it will earn him good karma, (2) he believes that keeping it is a sin and he will be punished now or in the hereafter if he does not return it, (3) he believes it is a crime to keep it and fears he will be caught, (4) he believes in doing unto others as he would have them do unto him, or (5) he just recognizes that it is not his money and chooses to restore it to its owner without hope or expectation of any gain, recognition or gratitude, and without reference to some "moral" principle.

I don't care why someone does good, so long as they do good.

I would prefer to live in a world where everyone does good for reason # (5), above, or reason # (4). Those are the kinds of people I'd prefer to have as frineds and associates.

People who do good for reasons # 1, 2, or 3 are on tenuous moral ground because whenever their motivation for doing good is momentarily absent, anything goes. For example, if the stolent money has greater perceived value than the good karma they forgo or bad karma they incur by stealing it, or they believe they can commit the sin and enjoy the proceeds because they can later ask for forgiveness and repent properly and then God will forgive them or Jesus will cover their sin, or they are believe the risk of getting caught is small compared to the value of the money they can steel with noboday finding out.
edit on 4/10/2012 by dubiousone because: .Clarification

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Scan the buddy who dropped it,then decide after calculations.
Always many factor plays a role in that question...there is always a chance to keep it,even if its minor.

If somebody is too lazy to pick up money from the floor,well its mine.

If somebody can't notice losing money,by earphones,of course i knock shoulders...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

in an ideal world everyone would pick it up and give it back to the owner. a true good person would do that anyway.

ill be honest...money is tight and ill take what i can get...i would keep it...id like to think it doesnt make me a bad person...just a survivor

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo
reply to post by Ben81

in an ideal world everyone would pick it up and give it back to the owner. a true good person would do that anyway.

ill be honest...money is tight and ill take what i can get...i would keep it...id like to think it doesnt make me a bad person...just a survivor

That's a slippery slope my friend. Sounds much like the person who steals a bicycle because it isn't locked up securely. Is anything that isn't locked up or tied down securely fair game? After all, if the owner wanted to keep it they would not have left it there for you to steal! Where do you draw the line?
edit on 4/10/2012 by dubiousone because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join