It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to do if you see 10-20$ falling off someone pocket ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Do you keep it .. finder keepers ?
Do you give it back to the person who lost it ?

It is your choice but its also a perfect occasion to show exemple to others

Just saw someone with headphones going to the elevator
droping a big 10$ bills directly in front of me at my feet when he pick up is access card
never saw he droped the bill and continued walking to the elevator

So .. i had to follow him to the elevator
saying hey .. you lost something brother
never heard me the first and second time ..
was totaly in his world listening to his music lol
i had to put the bill right in front of his face
he finally took it and say "oh thanks"

In my mind when i saw it .. no doubts about giving it back
i could have bought a smoke pack .. or a 12inch subway for diner
im not rich .. free money is always welcome
but better feel proud then ashame
and its always better to show good exemple then bad
if you want good karma coming to you .. you have to do good karma to others

I always feel very alive doing good actions like this
not the first time and not the last

but if the bill was already there on the ground .. didnt see who dropped it
will not search the whole building to know who lost 10$

What would you have done in my place ?
just curious

I was in Amsterdam in February and I was walking past one of the place where you exchange money. As I walked past I notice the guy exchanging his money had dropped some. I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed it out to him........

He gave it to me. It was only 5 euros but he thought my honesty was worth that. So I say always give it back if you see who dropped it.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Originally posted by avatar01
Since i am wealthy i would give it back no question. If it was a thousand bucks, I'd probably keep it.

If i was broke, I'd keep the $10.

Your situation will always determine your motives.

Ew.

Because you're wealthy (whatever that means) you have enough morals to give something back to someone who obviously lost it?

If you didn't have money, you'd keep it?

What kind of floating point conscious do you have?

And he would keep $1000.....I wouldn't say they are that wealthy. Wealthy people scoff at 1k.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
I would hand it back as I believe in karma. I have had people do the same for me. I have had people in front of me in the drive thru at multiple different fast food restaurants pay for my meal and have the drive thru window operator tell me the person in front paid for it and to pass it on sometime. There are numerous things I have either done or had happen to me that are similar that give me a boost in confidence that our society isn't all bad.

On another note, and different situation.....what do you do when you pay for something at a store and the clerk accidentally gives you more than what the correct amount of change was? I have had this happen as well...five a clerk a $20 for a pack of smokes and get a couple $10's and change for the $20 back. I have had it happen several times at different places and always give it back since I know that clerk would have had to come out of their own pocket or been fired for stealing had their drawer not counted out correctly at the end of the day. I figure a convenience store clerk probably really needs that job or the money more than I and it was the right thing to do.

I dont know if this is the same or not. I delivered pizza in college and I delivered on night to a large get together of teenagers - colleges kids....they were feeling pretty good. They handed me the money for the pizza and they said to keep the change so I didn't even count it. I got back to the store and after each run we had to 'drop' our money in a drop box until the end of the night, so we didn't have more than 20 on us at a time. As I was dropping the money, I counted to make sure there was enough (really to see how much a tip I got lol) anyway....there was a 100 in the mix of bills. I told my manager that if the guy called back that I would give it back. He held it for 3 days and the guys didn't call back so he gave it to me.

So I wonder, should we have called him back and asked if he was a generous tipper or should I just have accepted it? Ive thought about that situation several times since then. I still feel somewhat guilty about it....I don't know why, I didn't steal anything and gave my manager control...but still I wonder. ?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
When I was 15, I was at the gas station buying something. As I was standing in line I saw a bundle of money under the case where they keep the gum and stuff. I picked it up and gave it to the cashier. The man behind me said "I could have used that ya know". Everyone who I have told the story to has acted like I was a fool for doing that. It never crossed my mind to keep it.

On the other hand, at the same age I was cashing my last check from Famous Recipe Chicken when they gave me $500 instead of the $43 that my check was for. I didn't look in the envelope but I knew that it was too thick to be $43. I lived just across the street from the bank. I went to the yard of my apartments and looked in the envelope and saw all the money in there. I looked back at the bank knowing the right thing to do but quickly decided to go ask my mom first. I went in my apartment and to my room immediately. I spread the money on my bed and looked at it savoring it in case she made me take it back. I then went and said "Mom something happened..." and told her the story and gave her the money. She didn't let me take it back. In fact she said "No, you are not taking it back". It was a few days before Christmas and she used that money for Christmas for my little brother. Looking back now, I believe the bank can spare a few bucks for the regular people of the world.

Today as an adult I give money back when I find it. If I don't know who it belongs to I put it in a drawer at work in case someone needs a pop or something.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Even if it was a $100 note I'd give it back, no hesitation and no thoughts of "sweet free money!". Karma has a way of working it's way back to people that are dishonest, selfish or cruel

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Take it...then beat him up, and take the rest of his money as well...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

If that were to happen, I would return it, but do so in secret. I do not seek praise from man for "doing good", nor do I want to "feel good about myself" - I would do it simply because it BELONGS to that man or woman, not to me. Taking it will be stealing. There's no such thing as karma. It makes no sense. All that is, is a sinful world with evil people, who cause infliction on others. Good only comes from God, and because I believe in God, I want to do the things my Father does. Not because of some reward I'll be promised later, but because it's the right thing to do. Not that complicated.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Why secret, you think it makes you holier because you do it in secret, rather than in public? What does it matter, ignore the praises if they are directed towards you; that is, if your ego isn't strong enough to know that those praises do not matter, and what matters is the fact you helped the young man or woman by returning that money.

I see you have that cross equipped. If you deny karma then you are pretty much denying god, because in a sense, he operates on that principle. You do good here, you get rewarded with good in the afterlife. You do bad here, you are punished in the afterlife.

The pure karma concept, to my understanding, is just cyclic.
edit on 9-4-2012 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'd give it back. What goes around comes around as they say!

If I saw a bill on the floor all on it's lonesome though I'd probably keep it?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Honestly I'm fairly wealthy and no, I wouldn't. I would wait for him to walk away and take it. Reason being, you can't trust anyone even if you do the right thing. I have first hand experience. I actually saw someone drop a $50 dollar bill one time. I went to go pick it up to give it back to the woman. She yelled at me accused me of taking it from her and called the police. Police came. She told them I stole it out of her pocket. But the police cleared me after seeing footage from the store security cams..

Never going to try to be a good samaritan again.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by Ben81

If that were to happen, I would return it, but do so in secret. I do not seek praise from man for "doing good", nor do I want to "feel good about myself" - I would do it simply because it BELONGS to that man or woman, not to me. Taking it will be stealing. There's no such thing as karma. It makes no sense. All that is, is a sinful world with evil people, who cause infliction on others. Good only comes from God, and because I believe in God, I want to do the things my Father does. Not because of some reward I'll be promised later, but because it's the right thing to do. Not that complicated.

This post seems quite holier-than-thou for someone who doesn't seek praise from men

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Anyone who posts ANYTHING other than "give it back without hesitation" is a person with morals, ethics or scruples. Having said that, if you are literally starving to death and 10 dollars is what you need to prevent imminent DEATH, than even Karma will forgive you. For any other situation, no matter how seemingly desperate, the ONLY REASONABLE RESPONSE would be absolute honesty. Don't bother trying to defend any other position, for such positions are inherently indefensible.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

The only reasonable rationale is that "taking it will be stealing," and this has nothing to do with God. Even you think "God" is the measure of all things good and right, you are seriously deluded, if indeed the God you refer to the God of the Bible. That God was full of smite, hatred, bile, anger and violence. Please don't use that idea as a design for living! Just do things because of universal moral sentiments that are inbred into humans after millions of years of social evolution!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
reply to post by ldyserenity

Whether it is or not, I'd rather be the honorable person and return it to them. I've had plenty of strings of bad luck after making choices I knew were wrong and felt as if it was me paying for the choices I made. I'm young too being only 19, it makes me smile when I see the reactions on peoples faces when I do something they don't expect of me. In a world of dishonest people, I wanna be the honest person. Even if that means I'm the only one. It doesn't matter whether I see the return of good karma or not, as long as I know I did the right thing.

Totally missed my point altogether Karma does not come back in this lifetime. The textbook definition of Karma is that the things you do now will affect the next lifetime you live. I would still return it myself, as the honorable thing to do besides negative acts bring negative back to you and positive brings positive, that is not Karma but more of like attracts like, such as in The Secret...yes bad things do happen to you if you do negative/wrong things but that is the law of attraction.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'd give it back if I could.

If I found a $10 on the ground and couldn't identify an owner, I'd probably keep it.

If it was a great deal more money, though, I'd probably report it to the Police.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Why it is you happened to see this. Maybe it is destiny. God gives you the opportunity to make goodness. You should give it back to the owners, maybe you’ll be returned some day.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Integrity - Doing the right thing even when nobody is looking.

You did the right thing, I turned in a couple watches to the authorities, a couple of very expensive watches, that I found on a bench in the park once, 4 months later I got a call, nobody had claimed them, could I please pick them up.

Fast forward a few months, I was wearing one of them when someone noted that my watch was just t\like the one he used to have, not in an accusatory tone, but in a curious tone. He mentioned a obscure detail about his watch (scratches on the back plate) I took the watch off and handed it to him, and told him the story. He thanked me, no malice. I told him about the other watch, he called a friend of his, who told him to tell me to keep it.

I believe in integrity, it something only you can hold, make, or break, it is the one thing nobody else can destroy without your co-operation. I have lost jobs over being up front about mistakes, I have also kept my job over being up front. but one thing I can assure you, anyone who knows me, knows that when I tell them something, I am being as honest as I can possibly be.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The "rule of thumb" that I always follow is that if I think there is a chance that I can find the owner of an item, then I'll give whatever it is back.

For example, there was one time coming home from school where I found someone's checkbook (with blank checks scattered all over a yard) - A friend & myself cleaned up the checks, gave them to a neighbor that knew the person, and went on our way. The next day, my neighbor gave me an envelope - which I thought was just a typical 'Thank You" for her checks; I didn't know that it also came with $40 (Still wish I could have politely refused the money, as I don't mind helping for free).

I've also found about $125 outside my local library, all at the same time (It was under a parking spot - and was wet, indicating it was sitting there for at least a night). As soon as I saw it, I gave it to the librarians who then turned it over to the police. I wasn't even aware that it was $125 - I just turned it in and left.

When I told my parents about finding that much, they thought I stole it (In all seriousness, how many crooks would turn over the money to the police right after "getting" their loot?). At least the police only kept the money 3 months past what they told me (NOTE: This happened at least 5 years ago - I kept tabs on when they said I could have the money back). When they finally handed it over, I gave $60 to a charity group, and kept the other half.

What I find amusing is that now, a year ago, I had an "incident" involving my car. My ticket price: $120 that went to the police (If only I would have kept that $125...). Not sure if that money was "left" there to help me out, or if I was just never meant to keep what I find.

Anyway, to conclude this post, I would give back the money if I could track down who owned it. If there's no-one in sight, and I'm all alone when I find it, then I'd probably keep it (or support a local business, such as my favorite used book store)

-fossilera

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
i'd run back to the federal reserve and give them their note back.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

Fold and spindel this person and return the lost sum.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join