It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When to Bug Out: Knowing the Signs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Pretty basic level article, but still worth a read.
Feel free to add 'when to bug out' opinions ...

Family Security Matters
Snippets from the article -

Don’t Be Another Statistic: Be Ready
Knowledge is Critical
Know The Signs
· When people begin buying emergency food and water supplies.
· Hearing the news sources talking about a possible threat is the time to begin preparing to leave.
· Seeing long lines at the bank where people are withdrawing money is a sign that something is up.
· Long gas lines is also an indicator of people beginning to prepare for a possible evacuation.
· Increased military and police presence in the streets and the community.
· Long lines at home improvement stores from poeple trying to buy supplies to prepare homes for disasters, buying generator needs, etc
Consider the Dangers and Know the Threats

I'd add

... watch the temperature of the people around you. Watch their anger level. The hot month of August is perfect for heated up racial tensions (made so by the MSM and politicians) to explode.

.... watch what the high level politicians are doing. If they all suddenly take a vacation or go on a business trip to a place that looks secure .. like Denver Colorado (the airport there, etc). This should make your spidy-survival senses tingle.

.... increased rhetoric of any kind in the MSM. Like the bonfire they are building now with racial tensions. Or if there is increased rhetoric about how immediate the danger is from .. say ... Iran, and we HAVE to do something quickly. It could be true, but it might not be. Either way, it's something to watch.

... radiation from a Fukashima type event. Smoke from a massive fire headed your way. Ashes falling from a volcano (volcano ash is deadly, both to breath and it can collapse a roof easily)

.... Animals acting in a bizzare manner. Not just a dog getting uptight at a cat running by, but I mean odd migrations of birds out of season; numbers of deer running through a busy city; that kind of thing. (fish in the fish tank acting odd? Happened to some folks before the big eastern earthquake last summer)

Shelter in place is almost always best, but know when to 'bug out'.
edit on 4/9/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I would suspect by the time you see the above signs "banks/stores selling out" your bug out time has come and gone.
Its this time where the general panic is at when things are most dangerous and your bug out routes such as roads are already grid locked.

The aim is to be well gone by the media tell you "not to panic" and radiation is blowing over the hills.

Plan and prepare and know what your doing...Don't Panic and stay calm

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantom150
I would suspect by the time you see the above signs "banks/stores selling out" your bug out time has come and gone.
Its this time where the general panic is at when things are most dangerous and your bug out routes such as roads are already grid locked.

The aim is to be well gone by the media tell you "not to panic" and radiation is blowing over the hills.

Plan and prepare and know what your doing...Don't Panic and stay calm

I agree. By the time people see these things, it would be pretty much too late to get out anyway.

The best idea is pre-emptiveness. Know your surroundings, what conditions you see in your neighbourhood are the norm, and what are not. About the only one I would agree with is animals acting strangely. Usually it is pretty subtle, but picking up on "clingy" or odd behaivour from the dog or cat is a good sign.
Also, knowing what is likely to happen in any event, whether it be natural or man-made disaster is a good step to being prepared for it. For example, if you know you live in an area where power is likely to go out first hand, a generator and backup fuel is a must. Being prepared isn't being a prepper or doomsdayer as people would have you believe, it's simply being smart.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
When panic buying causes empty supermarket shelves, it's time to go on a holiday.

PS. You should have your # together before this happens.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
www.stevequayle.com the day his screen turns on red it's time to boogie

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantom150

I don't think that bug out routes will be gridlocked. Most people are far too domesticated to think about bugging out. If they leave their homes, they will have to provide for themselves and most people are not capable of doing this, so I think most people will just stay where they are, board up their homes and wait for someone to save them.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Good topic FlyersFan

Its really why I spend a lot of time reading and browsing ATS,its a good place to take the temperature of the world or events that we don`t get to hear through the MSM.

I hope I see the signs early,though I`d like to keep the signs I`m looking for to myself.

Never know who is watching

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So are you saying racial tension will make the deer and fish act abnormally?
In my experience the only folks that see or promote racial tension is the media.
There has been alot of advertising this.... racial tension.
I think the media does this to suppress the idea of class war, which is much more preferable to me.
The brown man never stole my money, but big corp surely has.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I disagree about exit routes not being blocked.

I know I shouldn't base this on Hollywood however the same principle exists where motorways and roads become blocked, looters come out to play and general mayhem occurs in the mass panic of an event.

Cyclones are one example of where a large (not all) population chooses to evacuate the city in a short amount where congestion and the selfish panic behaviors become apparent.
Ofcoarse this depends on where you are situated and how prepared everyone else is.

Don't under any circumstance think others wont kill you and your family to get your kit if they believe it will get them out of trouble.
Get out early and follow your plans (you need them), if your to late to bug out then you have to consider holding fort.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I was watching this silly movie yesterday called "Right At Your Door" where dirty bombs explode in LA, and at the very start, you have this incredibly whiny stay at home 'some day the band will make it honey' househusband, home alone after his wife goes to the office. So when TSHTF he I guess goes into shock, because he like so many others, wants to flee into the downtown core where the bombs have exploded to search for family members, thereby jamming the roads and preventing rescue crews from arriving on the scene.

So then he buys some plastic and duct tape and when he finishes crying, we get to watch that for 20 minutes, but a gardener from next door flees into his house and finally convinces him, they have to close the windows.

SO they tape it up shut tight and just then, his wife arrives back home, coughing, covered in radioactive dust, puking and suffering from dirty bomb exposure and he won't let her into the house now. 20 minutes ago he was trying to get himself killed trying to get there to save her but now, its "but honey, listen, listen, you can't come in, you are contaminated"

And that was as much as I could stand to watch because what you do, is you tell her, get the hose, strip down, wash yourself off, I will get a blanket and some pectin and some iodine tablets/Norwegian Kelp and you let her in.after she washes off.

I guess no one thought of that when they wrote that script.

When to bug is something you have to decide at the time. If you watch Panic in Year Zero, you will find that lots of people, millions and millions may flee and so fleeing just keeps you in the hungry panicked mob.

There is another movie where Jason Robarts plays a doctor, this is one where Kansas City gets nuked, and he goes back in to the hospital, covered in dust etc because he is about 65 plus and so radiation fallout isn't going to bother him much. The little exposure he gets, will not shorten his life because at that age his life is already short.
So he doesn't bug out, he goes in to help.

In the story "One Second After", EMP burst, they don't bug out, they hunker down as a town, and organize a militia. In the end they have one of the best survival rates in the country. But his daughter dies from lack of insulin.

So there is a possibility that if they did bug out and went to look for insulin, she might have lived. He had six months supply of insulin. But on the road were nothing but starving refugees.

Bugging out is hard. And we are spoiled as people these days and so you might want to not be overly anxious to give up everything you have now, for some bug soup and boiled grass.

It depends where you live. If you lived on the ocean, you would have a better chance of survival.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think a lot of this has to do with where you live, too. I live in the country with live stock. If there is a SHTF situation and I can stay in my spot for a while then I'm going to stay in my spot for a while. If I were in the city, like I was when I grew up, I'd want to get out before the masses of people. I wouldn't want to wait it out with the possible looters and the people who would want what you have just because you have it and then murder you just because you were there.

Follow your gut, really. If things feel like they're going to go down just feel it out and if you're really in tune with the world you'll know when to leave.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
That is a pretty basic article, as you said, but the website is worth a look-see. Thanks for posting!

reply to post by Bullypulpit
That looks like an interesting site, also. Where did you read about the warning if his name is in red?

Originally posted by Rocketman7
~respectfully snipped~
There is another movie where Jason Robarts plays a doctor, this is one where Kansas City gets nuked, and he goes back in to the hospital, covered in dust etc because he is about 65 plus and so radiation fallout isn't going to bother him much. The little exposure he gets, will not shorten his life because at that age his life is already short.
So he doesn't bug out, he goes in to help.

In the story "One Second After", EMP burst, they don't bug out, they hunker down as a town, and organize a militia. In the end they have one of the best survival rates in the country. But his daughter dies from lack of insulin.
~r-snipped~

The Jason Robards movie was called The Day After (1983). The next book on my "to read" list is One Second After. I think I'll avoid the first movie you mentioned, though. Thanks for the warning!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Unless your going to leave before an event happens, I would stay put. It is gonna be to dangerous to bug out with the rest of the population unless your area is going to be hit by a meteor, comet, earthquake, super volcano or hurricane.

I know I am staying put for the most part. I know the land and waters here, I can slip away in no time if need be with my whole family.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
leave to where, the moon? don't get me wrong i'm all for preparedness but really where the hell do all the pepper people think we're going to leave to. unless you got a plane to fly to the very remote wilderness then you ain't really going anywhere.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Which is exactly why we need this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

S+ F couldnt agree more.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anniquity

Yes that the one, 1983. You know what is interesting is that in that movie with Jason Robarts, he has some dialogue and he says, "EMP" and the other guy says "emp?" and he says yeah, electro magnetic pulse, its still just hypothetical but they say that it wipes out all electronics. Thats why all the cars stopped"

So they were talking about EMP back in 1983. The book One Second After, is basically all about an EMP strike.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't even wait for signs. Just get prepared ahead of time.

I learned a big lesson on 9/11.

I remember going to the store after those towers came down, and everything was gone on the shelves. What were the main things that were gone? Canned goods, Toilet paper, and water. They were all gone, and people were standing around asking workers when it would be re-stocked. That's when it's too late. I learned that morning that I had to have these things already stocked up, because you just don't know when you are going to wake up to another 9/11.

The gas lines were super long too, so it is ideal to keep the tank at least 1/2 or more full.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If you aren't bugged out by the time mass people catch wind of what is happening.. forget bugging out and prepare for war, hand to hand combat and literally fighting for your survival. Most people will not be equipped to handle the emotional burden of killing for survival .. but it will turn into survival of the fittest, people will say f*ck prepping i'm just going to kill you and take your stuff... no rules, no laws, no mercy

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren
I wouldn't even wait for signs. Just get prepared ahead of time.

I learned a big lesson on 9/11.

I remember going to the store after those towers came down, and everything was gone on the shelves. What were the main things that were gone? Canned goods, Toilet paper, and water. They were all gone, and people were standing around asking workers when it would be re-stocked. That's when it's too late. I learned that morning that I had to have these things already stocked up, because you just don't know when you are going to wake up to another 9/11.

The gas lines were super long too, so it is ideal to keep the tank at least 1/2 or more full.

Well thats not difficult to imagine because how many jugs of water does a store stock? It wouldn't take many people to sell out if everyone who walked in the door wanted some. Or 5.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
someone is paranoid!!!!!
2nd line, one love

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join