reply to post by EmperorXyn
hi there, i hope you and your new dog are settling in well together
speaking from experience and having worked at many veterinary practices, i can assure you that there are indeed certain things that your dog should
really not eat...
the ultimate example being chocolate. it contains a simple chemical compound called theobromide, and this cannot be digested by your dog. if ingested
it could have a bad effect on the cardiovascular and nervous system.
however, depending on the amount your dog has eaten, and the amount of chocolate consumed - usually your dog will be fine... the worst that will
happen is he will be a bit under the weather, looking sorry for himself and may have diarrhoea... but do try to keep dogs away from bakers chocolate
and unsweetened chocolate as they are purer chocolates and contain a higher concentration of theobromide...
another is onions... if only a small amount is ingested the dog will be fine. however, if there is a large amount consumed (again depending on the
size of the dog/amount consumed) it can lead to the development of hemolytic anemia - caused by the toxins in the onion. usually dogs wont eat raw
onion anyway, but there are some dogs who do like a bit of onion now again...
raisins and grapes - there is an unknown toxin in grapes and raisins that can cause severe damage to the dogs kidneys and in a worst case scenario -
kidney failure... i would recommend dog owners try not to let dogs eat raisins or grapes - we had a case just over 2 years ago when a golden retriever
was rushed into the practice - the owner had told us he was playing with her kids and they fed the dog only 7 raisins... she had seemed fine for the
next day, but the 2 days later the poor dog was vomiting, had lost his appetite, was drinking excessively and urinating alot... so she rushed him to
us... sadly we were unable to save the poor dog, as the toxin is unknown - there is no known antidote either... he was with us for 8 days in intensive
care and sadly did not pull through.
im not saying this will happen to your dog, this dog may have had an intolerance to such a toxin... but just beware...
another is macadamia nuts - again these contain and unknown toxin which can effect the digestive an nervous systems and the muscles. i have yet to
encounter a case where a dog has eaten these...
and like another poster has described xylitol - this lethal little beastie was recognized by the National Animal Poison Control Centre to be a high
risk to pets - this was published in july '04.
Xylitol can cause severe liver damage and possible death in dogs that are susceptible to becoming poisoned with this compound... So no sweets/candy
for the dog..!!
if your dog has consumed any of these, then DO NOT PANIC !! if you know how much your dog has eaten, and it isnt a large amount, then usually your dog
will be OK... all that you can do is keep an eye on him/her and see i they show any unusual mannerisms or behaviour... if so, contact your vet. you do
not need to rush to the vet right away as in many cases the animal will be absolutely fine, but will have a sore tummy and feel a bit strange...
however, if your pet shows signs of being distressed, and has eaten a large quantity of said substance, please DO take him to the vet...
most of the time the dog is fine, i myself have a black labrador an he has eaten many, many things he shouldnt have, including rat poison... we
flushed him with water, then a few hours later (whilst i was driving) hee proceeded to vomit and have diarrhoea in the back of the car...
luckily he seems to have an iron stomach so the next day he was fine..!!
i hope this helps... but dogs will be dogs
oh and one more thing... its worth knowing what your dogs heart rate and breath rate are on a 'normal day'.
take these when your dog is resting, then if you are worried your dog has consumed something he shouldn't, you can use this to check if there is
anything funny going on... it does help.
the average heart rate for a dog is around 60 - 150 beats per minute - you can sometimes do this by feel, place your hand under your dog's armpit and
make sure your hand is flat along his chest... count the beat for 15 seconds then multiply by 4, then you should have your dog's average heart
the average breath rate for a resting dog is around 12 - 24 breaths per minute... its no difficult to do this either, again whilst your dog is resting
count the his breaths in 15 seconds and multiply by 4.
edit on 9-4-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)
9-4-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)