It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Wonderful Sun Halo with double Sun Dogs today..and a pic w/something else in it?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
looks like a water droplet/spittle to me. I noticed a little vignetting on the edges too, using a lens extension?

line 2

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It is a balloon. Possibly a weather balloon but I'd put my money on a good old fashioned party balloon.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Fr3bzY

my 2 optimization cents

For those of us that don't get this, what does this mean?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezwip
It is a balloon. Possibly a weather balloon but I'd put my money on a good old fashioned party balloon.

That is a good candidate. Considering we have no way to judge the distances the smaller object can be much closer than it appears.

Optical illusion?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is the closest thing to what I saw over 40 years ago at night. I almost wish now that I had never seen it, because I still do not want to believe it. I would call your pic a lens drop; and, maybe it is-had I not seen a huge orb, about the size of the moon, when i was only 10 years old. The thing moved faster than I have ever seen anything move, like the size of the moon one second and a pinhead the next.

from my comments section in my profile...

Comment from: ogbert on: 17-7-2009 @ 12:10 AM
If you are wondering about the orb.

It was night time around 9 or 10 PM. I was camping with my cousin, in the back yard facing Ono Island. We were only 10 years old.

We walked out on the dock. There was a full moon that night, to the left. I saw something in the sky, the size of the moon, but was blue and stationary. It was above and to the right.

I looked back over at the real moon and screamed at my cousin. By the time she looked up, the thing vanished much like a shooting star would look.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
reply to post by Fr3bzY

ohhhhh it reminds me of those foo fighter orbs.

I wonder what this is? cool pic OP

Orbs are caused by multiple things. Any speck of dirt inside a lens, camera or on a sensor looks like that. When something is that far out of focus you get an orb. The old hoaxed orb photo's were from dust or particles in the air caught in a flash and since they were way out of focus you get the orbs.

The Rods were also a hoax. Those were insects flying in front of the lens. You run into anyone passing off the orbs or rods, you know they cant be trusted.

In this case though its just not understanding what causes those. Could be dirt on the sensor, a speck inside or on the lens or a particle in the air near the lens way out of focus. That particular shape though looks like sensor to me or could be a speck of dust or moisture on the lens.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Here is the image again for reference when reading my comments:

My observations and conclusions:

1. It's not a weather balloon because there's no payload. Weather balloons carry a radiosonde and instruments of measurement.

2. Any kind of balloon, including a regular old party balloon, would not be perfectly spherical. Usually they are shaped like ellipsoids with the bottom side a little more pointed. There is also no knot or string on the underside of the object. It is a perfect sphere with no surface features or anything attached.

3. It is not something on the lens, because if it were, it wouldn't be lit the way it is. The lit part of the object would be almost entirely on the back side of the object.

4. The lighting, however, is also not correct for an object in the earth's atmosphere, for the same reason as [3]. The sun is almost directly behind the object, so if it were an object in our sky, the shadow would cover almost the entire front of it. This object, however, has the right side and most of the front side lit, while the left side and most of the back side is shadowed.

5. Given the shape and lighting, I believe an object in outer space with a significantly different relative position to the Sun than our earth is the best candidate here.

6. The scale of the object is way too large to be the planet Venus, unless there is some kind of atmospheric magnification anomaly going on here.

7. The scale is way too small to be the moon.

So I think there are 3 viable conclusions:

(A) Venus, magnified by the earth's atmosphere. (Though I think this is unlikely.)
(B) Photoshop.
(C) Conspiracy.

Personally, I'm going to go with (B).
edit on 9-4-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm no astronomer but are there any planets between is and the sun right now

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Is this pic out an airline window?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow OP! Great catch! I'm not personally sure if thats a "drop on the lens!" or a "digital atifact" who knows though whats really out there! I cant wait to post my pics I captured on my iphone that made me finally stop just reading and join ATS. I have to get 20 posts though before I can share,,,, funny though...I have shared my pics and I have had folks ask if I was high or drunk ( which I was not either that night!) but I say to them ..." well my iPhone wasnt!!!!!" cant wait to post my pics and share and hear what you all have to say when you see them.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
sorry for my typos as I am truly wiped out and tired as I peruse ATS this evening! : )

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not much of an expert.. but IF this were a water droplet or dust.. why does the shadowing suggest that the object is behind the sun?

Thanks and sorry if this was answered but I read through 2 1/2 pages with no real answer to that.

S&F WC for the cool picture of the sun, regardless of what it actually is off to the side.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

That would be a raindrop.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
That is an awesome picture...and I have no idea what that other object is!

To the people calling photoshop or hoax. Please read this thread by the op from 2010.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

She normally posts about earthquakes and is very active in the quakewatch threads. As far as I'm concerned she is well respected here and I can't fathom that she would ever try to hoax anyone.

Thank for sharing such an interesting photo.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As much as I would like to see this be more, I believe it looks like Pollen.... This crap is everywhere... My car is green.

-Akkadian

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

It is not something on the lens, because if it were, it wouldn't be lit the way it is. The lit part of the object would be almost entirely on the back side of the object.

You sure about that? How should these drops be lit in this pic from intergalactic fire?

If the pic was taken 8-4-2012 it's not only unlikely but absolutely not Venus, Jupiter or the Moon.

Where Is STEREO

Jupiter and Venus are almost lined up in the sky and the Moon is hours behind the Sun right now.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by SilentKoala

It is not something on the lens, because if it were, it wouldn't be lit the way it is. The lit part of the object would be almost entirely on the back side of the object.

You sure about that? How should these drops be lit in this pic from intergalactic fire?

The difference here is obvious: the pic you posted was taken in obviously rainy weather, and right on the beach no less. But the pic posted by the OP was in clear sunny skies. Where would a drop of water come from? The OP also indicated the artifact was not present on the photos taken directly before and after.
edit on 9-4-2012 by SilentKoala because: spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

See what I'm talking about? The little ball above and to the left of the sun? I know, I know.....let's see. The most common things to cause these types of images: Sun flare, a bird, dust, a bug, something on the lense, motion....I am sure I missed some.

You missed the most widely used explanation for things one can't explain. You were probably fooled because of the circular shape.

Very rare, but it's plain old "swamp gas".....

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Interesting photo OP!
My vote is with death star / pending alien invasion

Did anyone else notice the interesting double helix contrail?? I saw one of those the other day in KS and thought it was so odd..

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul
That is an awesome picture...and I have no idea what that other object is!

To the people calling photoshop or hoax. Please read this thread by the op from 2010.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

She normally posts about earthquakes and is very active in the quakewatch threads. As far as I'm concerned she is well respected here and I can't fathom that she would ever try to hoax anyone.

Thank for sharing such an interesting photo.

Now now, you know people rarely read entire posts before responding. Or so it would seem by many of the responses in this thread.

Not only have there been several references to "he," indicating that those posters do not have any familiarity with WC at all, but there have also been several who show their lack of reading the OP by missing out on the following snippet from the OP:

SO..there was nothing there in the pictures before or after this one. I didn't see anything when i took the picture. So while this post is really about sharing the picture of the sun halo, I thought my friends here might enjoy a little mystery to solve at the same time.

...which you so clearly caught.

Another excerpt from the OP, which several seem to have missed is this:

Now, I am not trying to claim anything here, I just think it odd and know there is a wealth of knowledge here on ATS that can probably explain it away.
emphasis mine

I too will stand and say that this is absolutely NOT photoshopped by westcoast, and other than the version in which the contrast was adjusted, not edited in any way whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join