It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro Cup 2012 Is Underway: Prizes Are Up to $34 Million

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Oh well, worth a try, maybe Henderson will have a blinder and come on as some kind of super sub!

Why do we always get so many injuries while other teams walk into tournaments with all their best players intact, you dont see Holland worrying, all of their (im presuming they will play 5) midfielders are fine, whilst we have two or three who would be considered first team

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Tom Cleverley, Joe Cole and Michael Carrick....all of whom have expressed a desire to continue playing for England.

Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised and come the end of the tournament I and many other's are eating a not too small piece of humble pie.

As a slight aside I think it's a bit of a sad reflection of English football that we are struggling to come up with more than a handful of quality midfield players.....but there does seem a half decent crop about to come through, if they can stay fit.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

As far as i know Tom Cleverley is injured. Michael Carrick has said he would play for England but doesn't want to be a bit part player and wants to be in the first team. Joe Cole as far as i'm aware was totally overlooked.

If we get to the final i will go out and buy a hat and proceed to eat it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Cleverley has fully recovered and as you say Joe Cole has been completely overlooked.

If I was a recently appointed England manager and wanted an English player to help the team, and country, then I wouldn't hesitate in picking a phone up and saying or doing what ever necessary to get that player to play even if it was just for this tournament.
Whilst I doubt Scholes would reconsider his decision to quit playing for England I'm sure under the circumstances Carrick, and most other players, would have responded positively.

Get to the final???

Having previously been dismissive of France's chances they do seem to have turned the corner and are looking quite impressive, Sweden are a bit of a bogey team for us and Ukraine are the host nation - we'll do very bloody well to qualify from that group.

Hodgson certainly hasn't done himself, and our chances, much good....but you never know.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

If i was the England manager i would be on the phone to anyone who is good, Beckham would be first on my list too, i know he is not the player he was but i don't know anyone who can cross/free kick, corner kick like he does, something which we lack alot at the moment, how many corners do we have not beating the first man or sailing over everyone at the minute. As you said, Carrick aswel, quite underrated by everyone including myself but i have realised he is actually a quality player.

Will this be the first time that an England squad has gone into a major tournament with little hype and not much expectation? It could possible make the players relaxed a little more which will allow them to play better. The media hype is to blame for most of our failures in my book.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Well, that's me in....might put another team in before the tournament starts.

Beckham would be great on the bench.
Who better to come on with 15 - 20 minutes left when chasing the game - still no better crosser of the ball in football.

But I think he's got his heart set on playing in the Olympics and furthering Brand Beckham.....and I really couldn't do with looking at that ridiculous bit of facial hair he's got at present.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
OK done, signed up.

Really not a great team....I usually like to spend a few hours going over all the players and recent matches and all kinds of stuff.... this team just picked relatively randomly and not too happy about that.
Don't know if 3-4 of my picks will even play

YAY

Oh well.

I'm gonna do another one later/tomorrow properly but one for cash... maybe sky sports or somewhere?

Good luck peeps anyway.

There's only 5 of us so far? I hope more sign up, the more the merrier and all that

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just entered my team, took me ages, kept on asking me who I want as Captain and didnt know how to choose one. I must have filled in about 4 different teams before I realised what to do. Anyway its up now. Should make tings a little more interesting as England no doubt make an early exit.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Me too mate

I was like HOW DO I CHOOSE A ******* CAPTAIN???

:shk:

Oh yeah, I've also entered two team.... hey, thems the rules, says you can enter two teams so I did

ETA: To make your team clickable (there are some that have a link, some don't) you need to make your team/s Public, this option is on your squad screen.

I am leaving mine private until tourney starts

edit on 6/6/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Michael Carrick refused to be a stand by and Cleverly has basically been injured the whole season.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
To enter both of your teams, join league again and select your second team.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Cleverley started the season really well then was unlucky to pick up a couple of serious injuries but is completely injury free at present, I think......he has the potential to be an exceptionally good player and I would have taken him before Henderson provided he could prove his fitness.

Carrick has publicly intimated that he would play again for England if asked - all Hodgson had to do was pick up a phone.
Perhaps he did, but it doesn't look like it and I doubt we'll ever know.

Still, It's irrelevant now - we've got to get on with the serious business of supporting them - I just fear that if we do really badly, like many expect us to, Hodgson will have little defence - there is even the possibility that he is being set up to carry the can if it all go's tits up.

But to REALLY important matters, hopefully nef can rustle up some interest on the ATS Live shows etc and anything with RA's name attached get's a lot of attention so hopefully we get a few more involved before the Championships kick off.

My first selection was a bit random, bit like blup's so I might put a second one in after doing a bit of studying etc - hope that's ok with everyone?
edit on 6/6/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
After putting alot of thought into my first XI which is solid throughout i have gone for a bit of a mix up with my second XI, with a mix of great a players and a few cheap ones.

Not sure whether to make them public or not though, not right now.

Oh and for those who haven't done so far, read the rules and basic tips as it may help you pick up more points, such as changing the captain everyday to make sure one of your players is picking up double points (hope i understood that correctly anyway).

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
But to REALLY important matters, hopefully nef can rustle up some interest on the ATS Live shows etc and anything with RA's name attached get's a lot of attention so hopefully we get a few more involved before the Championships kick off.

Will be discussing it on Euro tonight

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

He may be injury free, Cleverly that is, but he hasn't played.

If Carrick was not willing to be put on the stand-by list he wouldn't be getting a call from me. Its about commitment and putting the team above yourself.

I just fear that if we do really badly, like many expect us to, Hodgson will have little defence - there is even the possibility that he is being set up to carry the can if it all go's tits up.

If we do badly Hodgson should be given some slack. Only had a few weeks to prepare, with numerous injuries and issues.

I would only look to be critical on his tactical play within games and whether he has been able to galvanise a team that apparently need it, even though the players claim to be proud to wear the shirt.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
Oh and for those who haven't done so far, read the rules and basic tips as it may help you pick up more points, such as changing the captain everyday to make sure one of your players is picking up double points (hope i understood that correctly anyway).

If that's the case then that is a great tip.... thanks very much for sharing mate

That is a great way of ensuring you have someone (hopefully) getting double points every game

Cheers

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I thought I'd add some of the rules/tips and so on, following on from what the other poster said.

Players will score points for all Euro 2012 matches (including extra time). Penalty shoot-outs do not count for scoring purposes.

All Players

Starting XI +2 points
Substitute appearance +1 point
Goal scored +5 points
Goal assist +3 points
Man of the match +5 points (as nominated by Skysports.com)
Yellow card -1 point
Red card -3 points (includes -1 for yellow card)
Missed penalty -3 (excluding penalty shootouts)

Goalkeepers & Defenders Only

Clean sheet +5 points
Goal against -1 point

Goalkeepers Only

Save or missed penalty +3 points (excluding penalty shootouts)

Nominated Captain

Double points – positive or negative

Making Transfers

Unlimited team changes up to the kick-off of the match on June 8th
Make up to 15 transfers during the Groups Stages of the Euro 2012
Following the completion of Group Stage matches, make unlimited transfers before the first kick off of the Knockout Stages on Thursday 21 June.
Make 10 transfers during the Knockout Stages of the Euro 2012 tournament
Players transferred in will score points from the next scheduled kick off.

Captain Changes

Managers can make one captain change per game day. Captain changes will become effective from the next kick off.
Top Tip: On the opening day of the tournament can use your daily captain change between games to have a captain scoring in both Poland vs Greece and Russia vs Czech Republic
Top Tip: If you transfer out your captain the incoming player will take over captaincy and this will not use up your daily captain change - use your transfers and captain changes wisely between kick-offs in the group stage matches to score more points

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Shameless bump in the hope that we get more entrants.

11 teams in so far.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
12 teams in now
c'mon the irish !! good luck everyone

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Up to 14 teams now!

And indeed.... Good luck to everyone

new topics

top topics