It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in britain site found older than stonehenge !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Archaeologists explores a newly-discovered 5,000-year-old temple on Orkney. Built 500 years before the iconic monument of Stonehenge, the temple is opening new windows onto the beliefs of Neolithic people, turning the map of ancient Britain upside down.

This is a vast site of undisturbed archaeology, set within one of the most important ancient landscapes in the world. Already the site is revealing a series of incredible finds including the first ever discovery of Neolithic painted wall decorations, and even the pigments and paint pots used by Stone Age artists.

just when we all thought stonehenge was where it was at...............

older than the pyramids themselfs.........

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Awesome.

Was there a link or Did You find it?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Link/pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Sounds exciting could you post a link please.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I thought this might be helpful.

Link

A 5000-year-old temple in Orkney could be more important than Stonehenge, according to archaeologists. The site, known as the Ness of Brodgar, was investigated by BBC2 documentary A History of Ancient Britain, with presenter Neil Oliver describing it as ‘the discovery of a lifetime’. So far the remains of 14 Stone Age buildings have been excavated, but thermal geophysics technology has revealed that there are 100 altogether, forming a kind of temple precinct.Some parts of the temple are 800 years older than Stonehenge, which lies 500 miles to the south in Wiltshire.
The site is very close to the Ring of Brodgar stone circle and the standing stones of Stenness and is surrounded by a wall believed to have been 10-feet high.
Archaeologists found red zigzag lines on some of the buildings’ inner walls that they believe is Stone Age art – the oldest ever found.
So far only around 10 per cent of the site has been examined – and it could take decades to uncover and analyse everything there.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Thank You..

Here's some pics:

Here is the Article again where I got the pictures
edit on 4/8/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
thanx guys for uploading pics links etc my baby girl woke up she is a new born ..

my apologies..

i have been to both sites and it is truly marvellous site to behold ..to think they did this all that time ago

so ill try to get some more info for you when little one gets back to sleep..

i also discovered hundreds of sharks teeth in a kind of pot there ..buried in the ground while i was metal

detecting next to some metal i found .by a kind of slope many years ago..

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I have always wanted to go to Stonehenge, and this site looks very interesting as well. Something about these sites sets off some ancient feel I have in me. The pyramids don't do it for me. Ya know. It's like my cultural Identity from long ago is in there. It feels like home.

I am half German, and about a quarter English. Maybe I am remembering the general feel of northern Europe and I miss it?

I LOVE stuff like this.
edit on 4/8/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

yes i can relate to wot you say pyramids dosent do it either and gets far to much recognition and publicty regarding conspiracys etc. this is a great time we live in indeed.. and it will take along time to excavate but it will all be worth it.. this predates the great pyramid ..

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh, that is awesome. It made me think, for some reason, of the early (norse? viking?) settlements in North America.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Google series: " History of Ancient Britain episode Orkney" , there you will find the source of the illustrations and an in-depth look at the excavations. If I remember correctly it is fairly recent too

Good find, but remember to post a sourcelink next time

PS: It's a BBC series for those with web-player access!
edit on 8-4-2012 by seeingterra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeingterra
Google series: " History of Ancient Britain episode Orkney" , there you will find the source of the illustrations and an in-depth look at the excavations. If I remember correctly it is fairly recent too

this particular episode was just aired with latest findings etc at 3 oclock in morning in england on bbc 2

edit on 9-4-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given) here you can watch
edit on 9-4-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

yes blows pyramids away totaly .. watch the episode its mind blowing.. we are finding all sorts in the uk now

i wonder what other wonders are out there in the good old uk..

thank you to my fellow american cousins as these kind of finds are part of you as well.

and europeans..

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
they also found 600 different animals by the main temple could they have been used for ritual purposes or

one giant feast etc.. you decide my friends.it certainly seems britain has so much to offer and a very mystical place it is..wot would your thoughts be id like to hear from you .. it seems that soon alot of history given time will have to be looked at differently now with finds all over the place. britain just maybe the most underlooked

place on earth ..and might be more important than once realized.....

we seem to spend so much time looking towards the pyramids for an answer ..

this find his huge, maybe you yourself can find a connection between stone henge and now the new find..

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Originally posted by seeingterra

this particular episode was just aired with latest findings etc at 3 oclock in morning in england on bbc 2

edit on 9-4-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given) here you can watch
edit on 9-4-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

Thought so...

"This content is not available outside of the UK."

So much for the age of information....
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

so sorry my friend wont be long till someone has uploaded it on you tube..soon as i get it ill post it up.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm getting ready to go to bed, or I'd look this up... Do these sites predate the Great Deluge? If so, have they found evidence of it in those areas? Curious me is interested if it reached that area and made some impact or not.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I thought there were several sites in Britain that already pre-date Stonehenge?

Is this the "grooved-ware" people ? The name for these folks was derived from the tools and pottery found at these sites. These people were sea-faring folks and most of the sites found seem to be where the "priests" lived and were supported by the local community built around these sites.

More on the "grooved-ware" folks here-
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-4-2012 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2012 by freedom12 because: Added the Wiki source for some basic info on groved-ware people.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
from the daily mail site with pictures...

So far the remains of 14 Stone Age buildings have been excavated, but thermal geophysics technology has revealed that there are 100 altogether, forming a kind of temple precinct.

!!! This sounds like a pretty large settlement... at least a couple hundred, maybe a thousand people had lived there.. and so far north in the British Isles, it really makes you reconsider how developed their world actually was... How many OTHER settlements must exist all over the country! What a green gem it is over there, I cannot wait to visit the motherland.

IMO, if it was Scandanavian ancestors, it would make sense seeing as it is the last bit of land before the Atlantic, maybe a port-town where the ships would restock before making long journeys (To Atlantis?
)
I feel that Viking/norse/northern European history has been EXTREMELY altered, and that these people were WAY more than the barbarians they are portrayed as today.. Very sophisticated navigators..
But no, our history is only what has happened in the middle east 3,000 years ago..
I am French and Swedish, and I feel the same pull toward Stonehenge and also caves/caverns in general.
So fascinating.. thanks OP for this!!

also, I wanted to say.. Round buildings intrigue me...
Many Native American peoples lived in round buildings..
And also, round rooms are PERFECT for feng shui.
Square rooms don't really have that flow, IMO.
Square is so boring.
Just a sidethought

edit on 9-4-2012 by PrincessofSwords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Why are they saying it's a temple complex? I can't see anything at all to suggest that it is any such thing. Stonehenge on the other hand was clearly a place of worship and great importance in the ancient world. Anyone claiming this is as significant as stonehenge is either a Scottish nationalist or an archeologist desperate for funding

My guess is that it was a small fishing community.....
edit on 9-4-2012 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join