It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is killing all of us

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
its in just about every thing. Every main stream popular brand uses it in just about every thing. Even pickles!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by joecool9887
I don't think real sugar is bad for you our parent's ate a lot of it they are just as healthy or more then us. It is more these artificial sweeteners and stuff like that we don't know the long term effects of. Also I think people drink diet pop more when diet pop may and I say may be worse for you. I think we should just go back to real sugar only. Like back in the days I think our body's handle it better and we are not so hungry after eating or drinking something with real sugar in it but that's my opinion .You can still have to much of a good thing. Thank you for listening.

You should watch the video I posted if you haven't.. actually there seems to be a direct correlation to increase in heart disease and other illnesses around the time we started heavy in agriculture and our diets increased the intake of grains and things like that ( carbohydrates ) .. there's plenty of evidence linking sugar ( carbs convert to sugar ) as a main cause for heart disease, and actually less evidence linking fat to heart disease .. the video I posted covers all of that..

But when you get into things like HFCS then you bring on more than just heart disease, you introduce diabetes, fatty liver disease and a whole host of other potentially bad things..

Ultimately sugar is just not something we're built to tolerate that well ..

You can contribute our increased longevity to advances in medical care.. such as the ability to treat diabetes with a needle thus killing fewer people, letting them go on to keep eat more sugar.. but with that comes great expense to the medical system.. if we were healthier, we could live longer and cut out that nasty expense.
edit on 4/9/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rgzing
Wow I guess now the sugar police are going to tell me how much sugar I can have. I am so tired of these groups of do-gooders that believe we are so stupid that we cannot control what foods, or how much we choose to eat.

Sadly it's true... people ARE too stupid to control what foods, or how much they eat.. It's one thing as an adult to gorge yourself to death being careless about your health.. but it's not just the adults... childhood obesity is a big problem, childhood diabetes.. that's horrible .. a kid isn't smart enough to know not to stuff a candy bar in it's mouth and wash it down with pepsi or ice cream.. and a parent should know better.. especially if they are even remotely concerned about the child's well being.

No, sadly many parents don't understand the real effects of sugar on their children.. or even themselves.. They don't realize they're setting themselves up for insulin resistance, heart disease, liver disease, obesity and all of the negatives that go with it.. many are just happy to chug the next can of soda blissfully ignorant of the risks..

Most aren't even aware that most of what they consume has sugar in it .. in one form or another.. it's even in the bread you eat

edit on 4/9/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Because of the way many companies like to save money in processing Corn Syrup -- in MOST CASES it's a major source of Mercury. The Mercury doesn't NEED to be there -- it just is because somehow it's part of the process when you make cheap corn syrup.

The various theories of whether sugar is sugar, or Corn Syrup somehow worse; well, Corn Syrup doesn't seem to make people feel satiated, nor give them the "adrenaline rush" which might burn off some of the calories. Consequently, we don't feel as full with Corn Syrup (and stop eating) and we just get the lethargy of sugar but never the energy.

Processed foods like Wheat -- or any carb, become JUST LIKE SUGAR to the body. So "sugar free bread" is just like eating cotton candy. Unless something is stone ground, or a low glycemic index -- you are not doing yourself favors. Treat all baked goods, and processed foods like you would a cup cake. Your body will.

>> I have to concur with the "sugar is like a drug" sentiment. A lot of the cellular aging process occurs with Oxygen (oxidants are why anti-oxidents are so in vogue) -- but it's made permanent when there is a sugar molecule around. Sugar in the body is VERY MUCH LIKE the process of cooking -- just really, really slow. When you cook food, the carbs break down and form a bond with an free radical. Your cells do get replaced and thrown out -- but sugar makes it happen more often, and it eventually is part of all the "dead tissue."

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I see SOME diet regulation as necessary for our society.

I know that Libertarians are going to say this is a heresy but PLEASE think about it. We have seat belt laws -- and sure, you are forcing someone to put on a seat belt. But that seat belt does NOT hinder their free expression, or ability to enjoy life. The health benefits and costs reductions for all of society are demonstrable.

WE can be SMART about this; we just need more healthy food AVAILABLE -- and perhaps we can start paying for SOME TAXES by taking them off income and perhaps adding them to sugary and processed foods. Society has to pay for the uninsured and emergency room visits. Diabetes is costly. So why not make bad food cost a bit more?

You can have delicious french fries WITHOUT the triglycerides -- it just means a tiny bit less profit for the French Fry providers. It MIGHT mean a few pennies more on those fries -- or the company could take less profit. In the end -- it will make a HUGE difference on people who have no self discipline.

Restaurants COULD be serving Sweet Potato fries -- and doing a boat load of good for people. If we treat bad food like "carbon credits" then maybe you would see more healthy alternatives.

>> Letting everyone lower the bar seems without restriction, seems to have given us an overweight population with epidemic levels of Diabetes. We could also start standing at our computers instead of sitting -- and MAYBE tax incentives might spur that change as well.

We should at LEAST debate this with an open mind. We might for instance, say "in general, customers need to be healthier" and let the business decide how that is accomplished. Or we could say; "The Glycemic index needs to be less than X or we tax it as a dessert." WE could SHIFT the taxes people pay at restaurants to have NONE on salads, and most of them on the Dessert. NO NEW Taxes -- just a different "portion".

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
For gods sake people start using Sugar cane, it naturally breaks down in the system, where corn syrup doesn't.

American health "professionals"starts yelling sugar is bad, our kids are fat, so whats Australia do they follow Americas study, and start saying our kids are fat because of sugar. what a lot of bull crap.

Australia uses Sugar Cane not yucky Corn Syrup. that stuff tastes like crap this is the reason Australia doesn't get allot of american imports in food,

we wont eat it, so the american company's have to set up new factory's just for the country's who wont eat their products, and replace the Corn Syrup with Sugar Cane.

The only reason some Australian children are overweight is because of the lifestyle or because they don't get fresh home cooked sensible meals and have mum or dad drive them everywhere. get on your bike and ride there lazy lil turds.

and people also forget most children gain weight just before they have a growth spurt, this is to help and feed the growing body.

Whateva

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by holywar666

They recently released the "old Pepsi " again and I wanted to try it out.

This was maybe 2 months ago so semi-recent.

So I got a can of Pepsi and a can of " Old Pepsi" , might be called Pepsi Classic, can't remember.

However I noticed how the Pepsi Classic tasted so much better than the New Pepsi.

The Reason ?

The old stuff uses/used real Sugar as compared to not real sugar in today's pop. ( We call it that in Michigan. Soda just sounds like your trying to hard )

So yea it instantly brought me back to my childhood ( I'm 27 ) and it tasted like pop used to taste. It used to actually be pretty good. Never been good for you, but I can't stand Pepsi now because it has a fake taste to it, along with the fact that I rarely drink pop anymore.

I've always been turned off by foods that had a fake taste to them, like anything Purple.....= disgusting.

Just thought I'd share my experience with sugar and HFCS in pop and the difference in taste.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
the use of hfcs is way down, i think a 20% reduction over the last decade is something i have read in the last year maybe.

the company i work for used to service 1000s of hfcs rail cars that carried 20,000 gallons of this stuff in each car. hfcs tank cars are something we rarely see anymore.
they are actually in the process of converting the hfcs tank cars into oil cars because that is where the money flows.

i think word got out that this stuff is bad news.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

There's just too much chemistry being utilized by industry to attract us to their foods. Too much competition happening everywhere. Too many types of cereal in the stores and too many kinds of lettuce in the produce dept. All these practices necessitate longer shelf lives and more chemicals. The war between Coke and common sense has been going on for a while. Coke has been winning the battle. Over indulgence is not always the choice of people, these food attractants make us eat more. The addition to herbs and spices to foods that they do not belong with also creates problems but that's a real big subject. I have to make a toxic list someday, stuff that doesn't belong together at the same time. An example: Fluoride with any foods that causes HCL to increase in the stomach creating hydrofluoric acid. That causes irritation of the upper flap of the stomach and screws up the throat. It also causes the mucosa of the gut to get hurt and causes intestinal problems. The stupid reasoning of the FDA is to limit salt so the stomach acid can't form. Why not just get rid of the fluoride in water? When you eat protein it boosts stomach acid, when you eat bread it decreases stomach acid. Drink your coffee and tea with breads or doughnuts and drink water with protein meals. The cops eat doughnuts with their coffee. Woops, another problem with the Fluoridated antidepressant water. What were they thinking?

Do you think I'm worried about High Fructose corn syrup? I don't want to take tums or Prilosec. How much has Fluoride raised our insurance costs over the years? Can't we just educate people on how to eat to calm oneself? It would be cheaper and it would make us friendlier without having to meet our friends in a doctors office. Come clean government and tell us how to eat.

Ahhhh......great, it has to be a time when no government people are monitoring the site.....Ahhhh

edit on 9-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Carbs.

You want carbs, not sugar of any kind.

That is all..

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What's sad is i recently met someone who was proud of giving up drinking Coke, due to the High Fructose Corn Syrup. They replaced it with Diet Coke, which contains Aspartame......just as deadly and is the secret evil ingredient in almost EVERY chewing gum brand.

Replace one bad habit with a new bad habit. Chew gum, drink soda, drink beer, smoke tobacco, watch TV...we all have a choice to NOT do these things. Yet we all know people who do them, if not ourselves already.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I see no problem with this.It's simple population control. We are outgrowing our means here on Earth at a very rapid pace. Why do you think tobacco has not been banned besides the money it brings in? It kills 5.4 million each and every year around the world. It's a process of elimination of the weak. Those that are weak enough to give in to such items. I'd rather see this then a full scale depopulation...which we might end up seeing anyways.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think you are on to something here I read an article a while back that showed nicotine/smoking made you less susceptible to influence and mind control.
If I were a crooked politician and the sheeple were not listening as intently I know what I would do.....
Could the mass concerted effort to do away with smoking have a more sinister agenda than just the obviuous health reasons stated over & over ad nauseum?
I do not know but whenever the government pushes an agenda on health grounds I always think there are other reasons for doing so.
I get the feeling the smoking bans seen here and elsewhere have more to do with the control of the mind.
If I can find the article I will of course post it.......

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
dont touch the stuff,.
but,. intelligence does run in my family.. jus sayin.
I lernt that a long time ago

It's a shame that inherent intelligence didn't stretch as far as your spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Carbs.

You want carbs, not sugar of any kind.

That is all..

How does that work?
Sugar is a carb.

That is all...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There is a lot of misleading "studies" about HFCS. Its really not any worse then sugar(sucrose). High amounts of glucose and fructose are bad. It doesn't really matter where its coming from. This is probably the best info about the subject Ive come across.

www.ajcn.org...

sb

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Aha ha ha ha Domo!
I'm actually about 5' 7" @ 175 lbs.
Wanna see my pic?
It's here many times somewhere,maybe Kdogs Mancave?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh it's not just HFCS.
Read just a few of the links below to find out how bleached flour is a pure poison. I no longer buy anything with bleached flour. Bleached or enriched flour , I believe, is the sole culprit of adult onset Type 2 diabetes. It destroys pancreatic beta cells, making the pancreas vulnerable to failure, so when one eats HFCS and other sugars, the damaged pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin.

Please people read up
Bleached flour is what is killing us all, the sugar just compounds the problem. A perfect storm so to speak.

www.antiaging-wellness.com...
www.womenfitness.net...
www.healthiertalk.com...
www.globalhealingcenter.com...
articles.mercola.com...
proliberty.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
HFCS is akin to Hydrogenation/poisonization of otherwise natural ingredient/ ie unsaturated fat:

way to go, Monsanto

Monsanto, must mean DOUCHEBAG in some language? Does any Corporation suck as bad as these evil bastards or do they ALL just suck?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
At this point I feel like I should just stop eating all together unless I know it came directly to the Earth but honestly being a meat-eater primarily it would be such a hard change. I thought by drinking less sodas, fast foods and primarily moving to water and V8 I'd be better off and okay; but upon investigation of this thread and the other juices I did drink HFCS was in it all. Sometimes I wonder if I should just lay down and take it or just continue to keep changing until I'm at the point where I can not ingest it (at least not as much...)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join