It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket in position at launch pad in North Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

North Korean space officials have moved all three stages of a long-range rocket into position for a controversial launch, vowing Sunday to push ahead with their plan in defiance of international warnings against violating a ban on missile activity.

The satellite is designed to send back images and information that will be used for weather forecasts as well as surveys of North Korea's natural resources, Jang said. He said a western launch was chosen to avoid showering neighboring nations with debris.

Japan and South Korea, meanwhile, said they are prepared to shoot down any parts of the rocket that threaten to fall in their territory -- a move North Korea's Foreign Ministry warned would be considered a declaration of war.

clickondetroit.com

I may have missed the posting of this news, if so....I apologize.

North Korea has plans to send this rocket up in the next week or so and claims it is for only peaceful purposes.
It has put on hold the US program to provide food to the Korean people.

This is not the first attempt Korea has made to send rockets into space, but if they are successful, it brings them one step closer to being able to send weapons long-range.

further reading
North Korea rocket launch draws more worry than Iran's
North Korea's missile: China's problem?
Japan ready for North Korea missile launch

edit on Sun Apr 8 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Wow. The world is really falling apart. Reminds me of when Germany lied about the U-Boats pre-WWI.

One thing I want to know is why are they so headstrung on sending out the damn missile? What's it do/going to do?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'll take 'an upper stage failure' for $250, Alex.

nice for 'target practice', though.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Hey this reminds me of a Remote-Viewer-Man I read about recently that reckons he got a few predictions right, and one about a massive sun flare, that missed us by 3 months. (if the flare had happened 3 months later earth would have been scorched) He reckons that the flare that will hit earth will happen after North Korea drops a bomb on south Korea. Yeah so if any bombs get dropped on South Korea I will get ready for SHTF!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Call me paranoid but these topics will do that after awhile.....

North Korea and Iran are allied in technological cooperation if nothing else at all. Ships to and fro...things caught here and there...it's not exactly like a major world secret even if no one admits to it for the NY Times.

Iran has successfully orbited satellites more than once from their own domestic space program. North Korea has failed...rather embarrassingly...on something they really should have gotten right by now. Umm... It isn't THAT hard when Dear Leader can write blank checks in all directions for whatever it takes.

I'd sure be interested to compare the launch profiles and behaviors between this launch and the last couple Iranian ones. Aren't there some things that would be characteristic of how one nation builds and programs such things vs. another if one is specifically looking for it?

My curiosity here is, if this goes perfect and they orbit something with little difficulty....how closely would those little things match up? ...and what might Nuclear North Korea swap back the other direction for the kind help on what they can't seem to manage alone? (I'd really laugh on that if the stakes weren't so high here)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
I'll take 'an upper stage failure' for $250, Alex.

nice for 'target practice', though.

That's right

I wonder if ISS will be watching?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Tie in the suspected nuke test...

North Korea may test nuclear device as well as launch rocket, Seoul says

North Korea appears to be preparing for its third underground nuclear test even as it presses ahead with assembling a long-range rocket for its planned launching of a satellite this month, a South Korean government spokesman said Sunday.

Unconfirmed South Korean news reports in the past two years have claimed that North Korea was digging new tunnels at its Punggye-ri nuclear test site in Kilju, near the northeastern tip of the country, to follow up on two underground tests it conducted there in 2006 and 2009.

..and it just appears to my cynical brain, the first post Kim Jong IL attempt to create the atmosphere for a return to the six party talks which for me is code word for "how much is it going to cost us to get you to stop"..

Like Father.. Like Son ?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
2 day old news stolen from Drudge as many here are prone to do.

How is launching a weather satellite considered WW3?

Please folks.........Deny Ignorance!!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A super mod and site admin is one thread? I don't have any problem with North Korea launching a rocket either. They are a sovereign nation, and as long as this launch does not harm any country, we need to stay out of it. Let's make North Korea the boogeyman? That's the type of archaic thinking that makes nations go to war. Pardon me, 2 super mods and a site admin?
edit on 8-4-2012 by Captain Beyond because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
next week is important indeed as the events will shape the rest of the year

we have this rocket launch that japan threatens to shoot down

we have the last chance for Iranian talks which Israel is waiting for

and the syrian deadline for cease fire which turkey has warned that it will take action if it fails

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ugg, more mindless threats.
Really? like we arent already watching their every move?
and cant vaporize them at the push of a button?
this stuff is soooo old,. the media really needs to just get some better commercial time..
Seriously, i will laugh my beautiful bronze azz off if they were to actually launch anything
of a "Real" threat..

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Beyond
A super mod and site admin is one thread?

Amazing. Aint it. (?)

Individuals with thoughts and opinions.
weird. that.

Me?
Yet another wash-rinse-repeat type situation with the PRNK.

Not the 'people', The Governance.

p.s.
Ours is no better in the grand scheme of things

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Ugg, more mindless threats.
Really? like we arent already watching their every move?
and cant vaporize them at the push of a button?
this stuff is soooo old,. the media really needs to just get some better commercial time..
Seriously, i will laugh my beautiful bronze azz off if they were to actually launch anything
of a "Real" threat..

I'm glad your not in position of power

I'm glad you dont make decisions on my behalf

this isnt lil kim, this is his son.

this a different person who might want to prove something

this isnt 2011

this isnt yesterday

we went through two world wars becuase people like you never learnt a lesson from history

the lesson is that wars usually start over minor issues

unfortunately for us, this is not even minor.

this isn't ww2, there are nukes on the line and also billions of people.

noob

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

the launching of a weather satellite is considered WWIII when its probably not a weather satellite as it comes from North Korea.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

You underestimate the real intell
Kims offspring is not a threat.
Yer funny,.
and happy Easter

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

No, I just realised the gravity of the situation
and happy easter bro

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12

I suggest reading this article, which I linked above
www.usatoday.com...

Russia, China, Japan, South Korea and other countries are concerned about this launch.
No one seems to think it's a mere weather balloon, that the test is innocent or that N Korea is going it alone.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

well,.
these threats from all sources have been distinguished.
I am sure of that,.
nobody wants this conflict,. and so it shall not escalate,.
watch and see

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
2 day old news stolen from Drudge as many here are prone to do.

Please folks.........Deny Ignorance!!

This is a "long range" missile test...not a weather satellite, nor a Verizon or Direct t.v. satellite. But the payload they claim is irrelevant, and more likely to be an elementary kid's winning submission in the "make something that looks like a satellite" contest, than any real working piece of tech.
This isn't 2 day old news because the launch hasn't happened yet.
The test will not be a success, but the cause of the failure better not be made obvious to NK.
They have many annoying means of retaliating, that causes tensions, and tensions cause conflicts, and conflicts cause wars.........You don't deny ignorance by posting an example of it.

to the poster referring to the "remote viewing" guy....his name is Ed Dammes. He said that the last major event that he saw before the "Kill Shot" ( nasty solar flares), was North Korea using a nuke "in anger".......not a test.....nor did he say it would necessarily be used on South Korea..........(but I think there needs to be a huge death toll from the Kansas earthquake before the NK nuke thing happens)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I know North Korea does not have a real good track record, but to say it is a weapon of some type is purely speculation at this point. If it turns out it is a weapon they have placed in orbit, we can destroy it with one of our missiles. We destroyed one of our own old satellites like that not to long ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join