It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF 1/3 Americans QUIT Work! Angry ends near dont hav anything to live 4 just want Benefits not Job

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dagann

It's good to see analytically thinking on this thread. Although i read only the first page so far, i was surprised to see most responding parties are aware of tangible facts to base their conclusions. That is encouraging after the past decade of hatred fueled infighting between the radical elements of society. Although i'm sure further reading of the thread would show the opposite, at least the first page shows promise. The encouraging aspect is that people are looking at the problem from a "World View" philosophy rather than feeding on emotions fueled by truths, half truths and no truths at all. Using the Fact Finding Process and the Scientific Method allows a better understanding of problems and intelligent solutions. What we've seen in recent history is a result of abandoning these principals and allowing ignorance to prevail. This, of course, is not by accident as many people are now aware of the gross manipulation of the American economy.

What are you, the thread monitor?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

The numbers are somewhat misleading since the labor statistics factor anyone over 16 into the workforce; that and they don't discount those on disability or disabled among those 16 to 65. They also don't discount the 2.4 million in prison (7.2 million in jail, prison, parole or otherwise in institutions).

You can pick any years statistics at random and for that year it is always a new record for this category.

Even so, lots of folks living off others and the taxpayers. There are right now skilled laborer (Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician and so on...) jobs unfilled numbering in the millions. People are not willing to learn, even though a skilled labor can earn the same as a person with a Masters.

The Unions here are now paying for the training and still can't get enough people. I'm in Alaska though and we don't have a problem here to speak of. You want a job, you can get one; unless of course the person refuses work and would rather live off others than take a job that may not be exactly what they want.

I had to import the last two people I hired because nobody qualified answered the local ads. Even that is hard. There are right now in the Seattle area alone thousands who have the skills I need not working and I get zero response to ads there.
edit on 4/9/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Employers are cutting wages, all benefits and treating their employees like crap just to get them to quit.

Thank Obama for his great leadership when he comes begging for votes. I would think that more than one riot will break out when this clown has rally's for himself, if he has the nads to try.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

There are right now skilled laborer (Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician and so on...) jobs unfilled numbering in the millions. People are not willing to learn, even though a skilled labor can earn the same as a person with a Masters.

The Unions here are now paying for the training and still can't get enough people. I'm in Alaska though and we don't have a problem here to speak of. You want a job, you can get one; unless of course the person refuses work and would rather live off others than take a job that may not be exactly what they want.

edit on 4/9/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

Maybe in Alaska but here in the lower 48 that is not true at all. Not much is being built in Florida. Lowe's and Wal-mart have backed out of two deals to start up new stores locally. My brother-in-law has his general contractors license here and can not find a job to use it besides the occasional work here and there, nothing full time.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think the reason many people are going on benefits/not working has been touched on already on the thread, the cost of food, housing and transportation keeps going through the roof as well as childcare costs so for many people busting their behinds in a full time job is defeatist because they feel they are no more better off then if they are on the government dole.

I'm in Canada and I work full time, however I'm what you would call under employed as I'm in a rural area and my wages for my 40 hour work week are depressing to say the least...but that being said I have widow's pension and here in Canada single parents and working parents receive a monthly tax benefit called the child tax benefit, it ranges depending on what you gross income is but I've talked to American friends who get no such benefits and they are struggling to just survive and buy food, keep housing, heat while working their full time jobs.

Having talked to a few people around here on benefits I realize their mentality, why bother to work your arse off for just enough to survive? After someone pays transportation, childcare, income taxes, there is barely enough to pay the bills, so they figure, why not stay home and be the same level of poor they are when working and not have the additional work stress.

This is the fundamental issue I believe in why people don't want to 'work'. If wages were in reflection to inflation and a person was benefiting financially from working, they'd have the motivation. When you are at a job with a jerk boss and you come home exhausted to realize you are no better off then that 'loser' on benefits.....people start to think, who exactly is the idiot here, them or me?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I note for the abuse I'm sure to get for it that raising Min. Wage just adds another element to the perfect storm we see on the horizon. Forget the 20 somethings starting out, let alone anyone older with a family to support. You mention the high school and college kids.. Oh dear.. yes.. What about them?

If you manage Burger King and you have an applicant there in their late 20's, solid work history...good clean application and sharp appearance next to a 17 or 18 year old that is equally sharp, well written on the application and well spoken, who to hire? Well... When labor COULD be hired among teenagers at a deal, the teen of course. They're trainable and don't get too atatched to a place. No life experience is a GOOD thing in that situation.

But wait....all things aren't equal...and you legally must pay the kid living with Mommy and Daddy and no bills the same dollar for dollar wages the Government determined are min. required to try and support a house, family and life full of bills.

I'm real glad I grew up before Kids were considered worthy of a grown man's wages under the law. I COULD get hired as a teenager back then. I'm reading it's not so easy anymore... Gee... given the above scenario, I wonder why that would be? Unintended Consquences can hurt. Ask a High Schooler or 19/20yr old College Student this summer.

Also raising the min wage is going to be a breaker for many small businesses that are now struggling. people who have business in tourist areas like ours especially since the gas prices keep rising.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well no one has done anything to address the real problems of changing to global economies.

Um we needed a global government, in order to have a real global economy, but no one trusts anyone else enough, to form a global government, so you have a large country the planet, with a silly ass police force, the American military, then you have these banana republics here and there and a bunch of feudal lords over there, and you have what amounts to no real form of central government.

Don't look for fairness or equality or legality or justice on a global scale if you have no government on a global scale.

So what you have is of course those who are rich and those who are not rich.

You have an America that used to have industry and jobs, and an American dream, but now you have Palm Springs and Detroit. You don't have a cohesive country any more.
You've gone from nationalism, and an American dream of free enterprise, and economic development and jobs, to rich Americans who have no real country but are businessmen and women of the world.
They are beyond governance for the most part.
And like the strong military, but probably don't like their own country as much as they like having nice getaway mansions and retreats all over the world.

America has a long history of banking problems and crisis. But usually all through history American held on to its ideals and its idea of nation building and building a strong prosperous nation.
America now is all over the world in bases and in business and resorts and back home is looking pretty ugly.

To see Detroit looking like Chernobyl? That is a sign of the times because you would think that some national pride never would have let that happen.

But all the money is in the hands of the few and they don't want to part with it, and the rest don't have any.

Which is the biggest problem. You can't do squat in America without lots of cash.

So even the government went broke and started borrowing heavily and now you are going 6 trillion in debt every term, since Bush Jr. took office.

Thats like taking slow poison I suppose. One day you will die and you won't have a perpetrator, because it will be a kind of cancer figuratively speaking, that has eroded the system beyond repair.
And no one with the vision or the ability to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

And then at some point you will end up with a military dictatorship because the military will have preserved some sense of morals and ethics whereas the government will not and there will be a coup.
For better or worse.
You are close to that now. Your governments will be fired. As soon as TSHTF.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Thats right Keldas. I have been searching a website called medfordmugshots, and see able bodied
and possibly willing to work people who are now criminals. It's sad to see them in such dire straights.
I will be folding up my construction business after 35years. The good jobs are hard to find.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

"the numbers are misleading"

So what does it look like in the street? People sleeping out of doors? Any hobo towns?
Are there grimy unwashed peasants selling flowers in baskets and people pulling wooden carts?

Or just guys in hoodies on every corner, looking suspicious.

Heavy beat box music going everywhere as greasy cars drive by full of guys wearing sun glasses at night?

The odd gun shot off in the distance and sirens and alarms going off all the time?

People begging on the streets more than usual? Jails full?

Tent cities?

A lot of old beat up cars barely on the road? A lot of boarded up houses? Derelict buildings?
Children walking around barefoot?
What about people sleeping in their cars as a family and standing on the roadside holding signs will work for food? That was what it was like during the Bush Sr admin, in large part thanks to Reganomics.
This idea that if you take the money away from everybody except the rich, and give it all to the rich, then when they spend it, you will have a job.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have studied a lot of American history and its a good story most of it. But when you study it you get a sense of real men working with their hands building things and working hard but succeeding for the most part and taming territory and boom after economic boom, often followed by bust after economic bust.

And colorful politicians who end up being some sort of savior.

Up to World War II. And then America was thrust into a different role. But riding a wave. Victory in the Second World and then a baby boom and exponential growth and such incredible land development and so quickly.

But now America more than ever before in history, was known for one thing. Its military might.

I think the metal industry really helped to make America a superpower.

So what about the military? If they came home you would have even more unemployment.

It was the Second World War, that ended the Great Depression.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

no...just a curious observer...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

So what about the military? If they came home you would have even more unemployment.

I think the military is only a tiny percentage of the population at present. Maybe 1 or 2%.

They are well qualified and great job candidates though. I would bet they would get jobs before the general population, but still a tough employment environment.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Not knowing anybody thats unemployed I guess I can't answer. Things ar booming here thats why I moved here. Maybe people need to move about a bit to find work

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Think about it.

Who you know and what may or may not be happening in one particular area is meaningless in the face of numbers like "80 million".

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It was reported this morning in TheHill.com that U.S. Government agencies are now "burning through" money faster than any administration ever has.

So where is this money going? With 3.7 TRILLION dollars being spent just in 2012 alone, you'd think that the government would single-handedly reduce unemployment to zero percent and still have a few billion dollars left over.

Something's terribly wrong, and yet the Obama administration is admonishing U.S. families to spend wisely?!?

-CWM

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I would work, if I could find someone would hire a felon....
ETA: I wish I could get back in the military, I'd stay til I died if possible
edit on 4/9/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

So where is this money going?

Underground dooms- day bases like the one under the new Denver airport.

Stored food and fuel.

ammo and weapons.

afterthought:
and, most of the people still working work for Gov. Once they go over 50% of the population, they will always vote back in the" free stuff for everybody party" whichever one that is...

edit on 9-4-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 9-4-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I can't remember a time when I only had to work 40 hours a week. Mandatory overtime brought that up to 55-70 hours a week. I work and sleep, with maybe an hour of free time a day if I'm lucky.

Do I wanna work? Yes. Do I wanna work a disgusting amount of hours and watch my life fly by? # no. I'm about ready to throw in the towel myself. I'm 23 years old and I feel like an old man.

Is the CEO of my company busting his ass 70 hours a week? LOL not a #ing chance... so why is he driving the Ferrari and I'm driving the POS $2,000 car?
edit on 4/9/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

the weird thing is , i dont know anyone who doesnt work lol.

i know it happens but i really dont know anyone who doesnt work, well besides my friend bob who just retired at 62.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Employers are cutting wages, all benefits and treating their employees like crap just to get them to quit.

Thank Obama for his great leadership when he comes begging for votes. I would think that more than one riot will break out when this clown has rally's for himself, if he has the nads to try.

so all you have to do for stars here is blame obama for anything?

like the republicans dont have their hands dirty with the downfall of the usa.

i dont support obama or any elected official. i really dont support ignorance!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I cut back on working so hard after realizing that the expensive cars and lavish vacations aren't what they're cracked up to be. Thankfully I learned before reaching middle age that personal freedom and good-health are more important than material things. I'm probably counted as one of those who quit work, because I now work for myself and less than 40 hours a week. It's so nice waking up with a smile, instead of trepidation and worry!
-cwm

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join