It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What brings me to ATS; or is that ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What bring me to ATS?

Is it a matter of discovering the importance of whatever, or the relevance of things, or is it seeking meaning, or is it making a contribution, or is it about discovering, or is it seeking elusive wisdom or what or which or why …?​

I have browsed enough to know that enough minds are seeking out the good stuff and while many have their fixations and others seem to swallow everything, there are as many or more whose critical thinking skills do not allow any untested hypothesis to slip by. This is a big attraction.
So..

Homo Sapiens Sapiens - Quo Vadis?

I have a fear that Homo Sapiens Sapiens is evolving into Homo Sapiens Sapiens Nolongersapiens, as globally we seem to be striving for mediocrity. I hope I am wrong but ….

Arts or Science, left or right hemispheres, mind or body …

Here is one thing. While we seek to refine artificial intelligence (and I am not referring to a blond with a brunette wig – sorry, not fair - oops I mean - not just, some of my smartest friends are blonds), we seem to be forsaking our intelligence for stuff, more stuff, hype, more hype etc. We keep making technology smarter so we can become stupider and then need more technology so we can think less and become even more …
Less and less do we use and trust our innate wisdom, intuition and mental and physical facilities. I will not go further with that, just telling where I am in thought on this mad rush to no-some-whoknows-where.

But of course we still have creative thinking, don't we? Here is a slightly massaged and reformed blend of thoughts originally expressed by Calvin (Calvin who?), you tell me, or ask Bill the Son of Watter to help. Wisdom in jest, designed to make us look and ponder at ourselves, but all we do is laugh - obviously at all those others that are like this ….

This is my ...
Gospel of the arts according to Calvin
People complain that the art and entertainment industry caters for the lowest common denominator of public taste, just to make money. I completely disagree with this, they are wrong. Why? I think it's a fallacy that taste bottoms out somewhere. Perhaps it is only the lack of enthusiasm of this industry to dig deeper. If they only could find a way to aim even lower they'd then start making some serious money.

Like movie sequels. Cool, same old same old... Great stuff man! There is nothing I hate more than paying good money and then having to deal with some new plot (or in fact any plot). Some say that good art is supposed to express original thought and truth. But the problem with that is, who likes original ideas and truth? Nobody! Life is tough enough without it! Only an idiot would pay for it. Popular art knows the customer is always right! People want more of what they already know they like, so popular art gives it to them.
Fin

If you are wondering by now; yes! Like Alonso Quijana, I too find it is useful to “lay(s) down the melancholy burden of sanity.” And ATS seems a good place to do so.

I teach a few things to sometimes reluctant students, and find that it helps to throw a few perturbations around to get thinking to shift off the well-beaten track. Like grandma's vegetable soup. You need to give it a good stir to get those broccoli bits and brussells sprouts floating so you can get them into the ladle.

Thank you ATS and members for already giving me much to ponder upon, from neutrinos to megaliths, the distant past to the unknown future. Many eyes and ears seeking out that which does not find it way into the popular press. It may take some time but I hope that I too will be able to make a useful contribution.

from Aristophanes

Immaturity is outgrown
Ignorance can be educated
Drunkedness can be sobered
But Stupidity lasts forever

I hope I am only an ignorant newbe ...
OK, now I just gotta press post I guess

KenArten
edit on 8-4-2012 by KenArten because: learning the tricks still

edit on 8-4-2012 by KenArten because: more learning

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Welcome to the ATS Family...please don't turn out to be one of those dysfunctional Uncles we hide in the basement...

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Watch out for JohnnyAnonymous!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KenArten

Welcome! I like you style! I'm new to ATS as well. Even though I do not have an extensive vocabulary like you do but I am sort of in the same boat as you.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Welcome to the ATS Family...please don't turn out to be one of those dysfunctional Uncles we hide in the basement...

Des

Mmm. Actually, Fester and I are good mates. No, I am firmly connected to mother Earth, but also stretch to reach for the stars. No holy cows. I think you will discover this.

After all

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, but there are always consequences.
Robert Green Ingersoll (apologies for small mods)
Lawyer and orator 1833-1899

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hi Ken

You're gonna do great things here. This is the place for it and you have the perfect attitude IMO. Here is the memo I leave new members not newbies.
You'll get the message.

Welcome to ATS.
edit on 8-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mistyrae1248

Welcome! I like you style! I'm new to ATS as well. Even though I do not have an extensive vocabulary like you do but I am sort of in the same boat as you.

MistyRae, thanks for the welcome and good to be allowed in your boat. Pass an oar and let me help this vessel get to anywhere. New hands may just add new insights. No corners at C but lets see what we sea around the next wave.
KenArten

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
They let me in here this long so don't worry about getting kicked out. Don't worry about those that try to challenge you, people are always trying to discredit others here. There are rules and stay civil at all times. I'll be happy to read your words.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Message received loud and clear, added a few db's to enjoy more. Godsmack up there with my favourite Metal groups. Thanks randyvs for the welcome and musical advice - all help and advice accepted with gratitude and respect. Having spawned a couple of Metalmusos, lots of respect for their contribution to keeping thinking on the edge.
KenArten

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Welcome to our family, Hope you give us something to talk about

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
They let me in here this long so don't worry about getting kicked out. Don't worry about those that try to challenge you, people are always trying to discredit others here. There are rules and stay civil at all times. I'll be happy to read your words.

Thanks Rickymouse, any relation to the JohnnyAnonymous(e) Swan001 warned me about? You are a benevolent cousin perhaps? Thankfully there is lots of wisdom to guide one's actions and offer defence against the lots who will break rather than build.
Do Mo said...
Sacrificing not wisdom for the company of fools,
Nor abandoning wonder to preserve the truth,

kENaRTEN

edit on 8-4-2012 by KenArten because: quite a few tricks to still learn

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Welcome to our family, Hope you give us something to talk about

Thanks Iamschist. Going to give it my best shot once I have landed and taken a big breath of the ATS atmosphere. Looking forward to exploring a few things and enlisting the ATS contribution.
kENartEN

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
Watch out for JohnnyAnonymous!!!

Greeting Swan001. Guess I will need a swan's neck to see 360 degrees, but will be on guard and stay low until I blend into the background

ATSATSATSATSATSATSATS
ATSATSKenArtenATSATSATS
ATSATSATSATSATSATSASTATS

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Welcome to our world.

Enjoy and explore.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Congratulations, you've joined the world's largest and civil alternative topics discussion community! We understand that with rules, policies and just the shear size of the website, it can be quite overwhelming. So we've created a presentation tour with just you in mind.

Welcome KenArten

For now you can reply to any thread in any forum you wish. Once you have achieved the minimum of 20 post replies, you will be able to create your own threads in their appropriate areas & additionally be able to send and receive messages to fellow ATS members. Private Messages can be sent to Staff only, (but after the 20 post minimum, you'll have full access).

Be sure to try out our Ask ATS with the "search words" of your choice. I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too. We encourage everyone to please contribute to existing threads rather than start a new one. This will also help guarantee that your thread won't end up as a duplicate located elsewhere. The ATS Search feature is your friend!
Speaking of "Search", to save yourself a lot of searching and even possible future heartache & frustration, please review the below.

Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.

Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read First )

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read second)

Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey New Members!! Come here if you need advice

Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics

AboveTopSecret is much like a theme park with many, many rides, with that said...
Here's a few thoughts before getting onto any one of the 1000's of topical rides at Above Top Secret, also known as ATS, the world's largest Civil & Unique Discussion Community.

*** Please be at least this tall to get on any of the rides, (Johnny stretches his arm outward), and act like an 'civil' adult. This will save you a lot of future stress, frustration and possible action by one of your friendly neighborhood Mods!

*** Please remember that some members are very passionate and vocal depending on what ride your on. Before getting on a ride, you should be mentally fit, emotionally stable and have a strong stomach for theories, conjecture, research and evidence presented that may be contrary to your own.

*** Please be "open-minded" enough to understand that sometimes the ride isn't always what you might think or expect. At times, you may learn something new and 'out-of-the-box' before you get off the ride, this is a natural and normal phenomena.

*** Please note that at times the ride gets overly-heated and "it's strongly suggested" to get off the ride to regroup one's thoughts before continuing. This will also help guarantee that the ride will move forward without getting derailed or explode into a fiery trashbin.

*** Please have fun! Be aware if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, troll, intentionally spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is for your safety, & also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Hey there this is a great intro post ... and I look forward to your future contributions

Woody

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thank you Woody
Nice to meet you on ATS. Still learning the ropes but seems I got one more thing right - added my first image.

KenArten

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Sorry Woody but you are getting another response as I thought I forgot to post the reply. But that is ok as I can now take one more step.

Actually, I am looking forward to the experience, bumps in the road and all.

KenArten

edit on 8-4-2012 by KenArten because: got to get used to the time warp

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Thanks for the welcome MarvintheMartian. Guess I have found something to do with all that spare time I do not have. But seems a good place to spend it.

KenArten

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Morning,

Looking forward to meeting you on the boards.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join