It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save the Postal Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The Postal Service plans to close thousands of mostly rural post offices and eliminate about half its mail-processing plants.This plan would slow mail delivery, eliminate Saturday service and — in the middle of a severe recession — cut some 220,000 jobs. If implemented, it would have a devastating impact on rural America, small businesses, veterans, the elderly and our entire economy.

The issue is not whether the Postal Service should change or whether we should continue the status quo. As a result of the digital age and the decline of first-class mail, there is no question that the Postal Service must change and develop a new business model.

Late last year, a number of us in the Senate helped to get the postmaster general to agree to a five-month moratorium on his plans to close or consolidate rural post offices and processing centers. The moratorium lasts until May 15. Now it is time for Congress to act. We must pass a comprehensive plan to allow the Postal Service to succeed, protect rural communities and preserve the prompt and reliable delivery of mail.

I have been working with a large and growing group of senators to come up with a plan. We believe the Postal Service in the short term should be released from an onerous and unprecedented burden to pre-fund 75 years of future retiree health benefits over a 10-year period. With $44 billion now in the fund, the Postal Service inspector general has said that program is already stronger than any other equivalent government or private-sector fund in the country. There already is more than enough in the account to meet all obligations to retirees. The Postal Service should also be allowed to recover more than $13 billion in overpayments it has made to its pension plans.

www.politico.com...

The postal service was put in this bind in 2006...being forced to fund 75 years worth of healthcare benefits in a span of 10 years for people who aren't even born yet. It was blatant sabotage on USPS that has been at the very core of our country SINCE IT"S CREATION.

I have more information on this here which has not received the attention it should:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

For the most part, it seems this whole thing has been ignored by most of the major media. The GOP passed this laws, and while Democrats had the power between 2008-2010...they did nothing to change this.

There are few out there who are trying to change this however....including Bernie Sanders.
edit on 8-4-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

being forced to fund 75 years worth of healthcare benefits in a span of 10 years for people who aren't even born yet. It was blatant sabotage on USPS that has been at the very core of our country SINCE IT"S CREATION.

yup one of the agencies
if not the only one
to make a profit
and they did that

betcha if there were an audit right now most of the money, if not all, is gone

healthcare my a** more like a slush fund for looters

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A good start would be to liquidate all the derelict property owned by the USPS and streamline the postal system and the way it works with new technology. I have a feeling that congress will pass legislation to help the USPS but without change it will only be a band-aid on gaping wound.

some relevant discourse on the subject:

www.pbs.org...

www.politico.com...

www.usgovernmentspending.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
A good start would be to liquidate all the derelict property owned by the USPS and streamline the postal system and the way it works with new technology. I have a feeling that congress will pass legislation to help the USPS but without change it will only be a band-aid on gaping wound.

...On a gaping wound congress inflicted in the first place.

It is hard for me to wrap my head around.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

People might care, but then again a good number of people know someone who worked as a temp worker for the post office. Why is that relevant? because the permanent union Post Office employees are the laziest, most incompetent people on the planet. Why should our tax dollars go to fund a bunch of communist traitors?

The Post Office is in good shape, it is excessive Union demands(80% of the Post Offices budget is consumed by retirement and other expenses forced upon it by the unions). Get rid of the communist, anti American Unions and the Post Office will prosper.

Heck, enabling the Post Office to fire incompetent employees would be an even better start.
edit on 9-4-2012 by korathin because: (no reason given)

top topics

join