It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionare spends millions in Campaign donations to poison the Ogallala Aquifer with nuclear waste

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives

Okay, not that I am for this nuclear waste dump, but let's be a little sane for a moment.

How will this place contaminate an entire aquifer, exactly? Someone please explain how a nuclear waste storage facility is designed so that it deliberately pollutes an aquifer, which is basically the assertion of the propaganda presented, and the OP, for that matter.

Please - I'm listening.

Propaganda??? :

A.
Nuclear byproducts are extremely potent, for example 1 molecule expelling gamma radiation
is enough to give you cancer, just 1, you are done. You immune system cannot detect it
to eliminate it, so it will sit there turn good cells into cancer, over and over.

B.
A baseball sized chunk of material can pollute a massive lake and turn the entire lake into
radioactive water, it is such a small amount it would blow your mind.

C.
Water seeks water, which is, many small streams create large rivers, it is the nature of
water.

A.
Which is why it is stored in an area that is designed to store nuclear byproducts.

B.
That's why we don't throw nuclear waste into lakes.

C.
You're suggesting that the nuclear waste would simply be dumped into some kind of unlined pit to leach into the ground water? Is that what you're selling here?

Again - propaganda. Making it sound like this guy is just bulldozing metal drums into an unlined pit or something. How about some truth here?? Anyone?

Ok

What makes you trust this guy??? I mean that is the funniest thing about your attitude.
You realize people sell drugs knowing full and well people will die because of those drugs,
but they also understand it will make them very rich.

So again, you are putting all your faith in the man who stands to make billions, that is
not very wise is it?

And please explain what lining you are talking about? Clearly you do not understand
the nature of radioactive material, it is not subject to walls like prisoners or bottles
like water.

link   
These people are an insidious sickness, and unfortunately there is only one cure... in the name of humanity, they gotta go.

link   

Originally posted by buster2010
There's billions to be made damn the environment and the people that need the water to survive. This is one of the reasons why Obama stopped the XL pipeline from going through the same Aquifer because there is too much of a risk of contaminating the water.

I highly doubt that any environmental concerns were the reason Obama stopped a pipeline.

So let's have some evidence that existing nuclear waste disposal sites are contaminating aquifers, since that's what they do.

Sir, nuclear radiation is not subject to the tradition rules of containment.

If you put radiation in water and place that water in a bottle. You will still be irradiated
by that bottle even though you did not get water on you...

Do you seriously think I am that stupid??

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

There's billions to be made damn the environment and the people that need the water to survive. This is one of the reasons why Obama stopped the XL pipeline from going through the same Aquifer because there is too much of a risk of contaminating the water.

I highly doubt that any environmental concerns were the reason Obama stopped a pipeline.

So let's have some evidence that existing nuclear waste disposal sites are contaminating aquifers, since that's what they do.

If you put radiation in water and place that water in a bottle. You will still be irradiated

I can't tell, you seem to think putting a sheet ton worth of radiation in the
ground will not find a way into the water table? Just a very small leakage will be devastating,
just it being there will be substantial as radiation spreads without physical contact, the point
you are missing.
edit on 8-4-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Why do you say that? It is exactly the reason. The Administration allowed other parts of the pipeline which do not go over the aquifer area to proceed.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
America is finished with billonairs like that wrecking it every chance they get, team up people and get the bastard before he get you all

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I can guarantee you that the facility uses the minimum allowable safety measures and not a shred more. Couple that with the fact that governmental regulation in the States is an utter joke, it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Need I remind you that the Army Corps of Engineers swore that those dikes in New Orleans were strong enough to withstand anything. We saw how wrong they were back then. Will it take another disaster for you to realise that the name of the game is minimum expenditure with maximum profit. I'll bet you this guy could not care less about how safe the facility is, just as long as it appears to be safe for the time being. Appearances are everything with people like him.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I can guarantee you that the facility uses the minimum allowable safety measures and not a shred more. Couple that with the fact that governmental regulation in the States is an utter joke, it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Need I remind you that the Army Corps of Engineers swore that those dikes in New Orleans were strong enough to withstand anything. We saw how wrong they were back then. Will it take another disaster for you to realise that the name of the game is minimum expenditure with maximum profit. I'll bet you this guy could not care less about how safe the facility is, just as long as it appears to be safe for the time being. Appearances are everything with people like him.

Not to mention we are talking radiation which lasts much longer than a hurricane, or
a human being. If this is a mistake a couple HUNDRED generations will have to pay for
it, even if some of those out in west Texas oppose radiation on the grounds that it is
a liberal figment of the imagination...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SL55T0T0
America is finished with billonairs like that wrecking it every chance they get, team up people and get the bastard before he get you all

Not in Texas, in Texas that man is a job creator and a saint who deserves
eternal life.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is slightly off topic (but still relevant). Just saw this picture and immediately thought of this.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Republicans support eradicating regulations of all kinds in industries across the board.

It's very, very scary when you look at the sort of power that de regulated corporations will have, especially when it comes to dealing with environmental issues.

What's really historic irony here is that the EPA was setup by none other than tricky Dicky himself, Richard Nixon, a REPUBLICAN.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by mossme89

I wonder if Mr. Simmons has any family in that area? My bet would be no! Also, doesn't T Boone Pickens own the Texas part of that aquifer? I wonder what his thoughts on this are? There is great money to be made by states that provide such waste storage, but man, me thinks a conflict of interest may be going on here.
Maybe but maybe not, Pickens is responsible for ruining countless waterwells and other water sources in many partsof the US with the practice of "fracking". He is also accredited for being the "largest owner of water in the United States" according to a source on fracking I was reading.
It might help to figure out if Simmons and Pickins are at odds or of like mind with their endeavors by checking into their political playmates. Who do both men back and contribute to. What wheels do they grease? Same wheels or different. That 's going to be my next bit of research, barring any ADHD driven distractions

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbyforce
These people are an insidious sickness, and unfortunately there is only one cure... in the name of humanity, they gotta go.

But regulations and taxes are bad for job creating business, right?

If GOP get their way, we will be back to the Robber Baron days of the 19th Century.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

short answer...

YES

Going off the evidence you have presented in this thread.
People like you make me want to punch things. It blows my mind your even attempting to defend this garbage. WHO CARES if it sounds like propaganda? If that is what it takes to stop this insanity then I am all for it.

PLEASE MAKE MORE "PROPAGANDA" to stop this asinine self serving greedy puke from polluting our country and the people in it. Reading your post has made my blood boil. Not because of the nonsense your trying to spread, but because I realize, sadly, there are PLENTY more mental midgets out there just like you that are more then willing to sail you and your neighbors down a river as long as there is profit to me made.

All is fair is a free market right? That's why America kicks ass, cause we're the only country that really knows how to treat the market right and give it the love it deserves. Who cares about the long term health, well being, and happiness of your fellow countrymen and women! They have the freedom to move somewhere if their tap water starts glowing right? If they all get cancer and die, well that's their own fault for being stupid and not moving. Cause nobody would have stopped em! Cause that'd be communism! Restrictin movement and such...

Your right AwakeinNM! We should all be ASHAMED of ourselves for trying to slime this guy's good name! He is just trying to run a business and earn some money! That's what America is all about!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SL55T0T0

Not in Texas, in Texas that man is a job creator and a saint who deserves
eternal life.
valid point there, People will be outraged and scream for "justice" until you offer a broke person a job or the average person some other shiney "incentive". Then the project, be it dump, strip mine, fracking well, historic landmark or virgin woodland with a new Wal-Mart on it wont seem so bad.
Humans are basically self-centered. Even the best of us to one extent or another. Thinking and acting for the collective good of everyone, even over self, will be the biggest step forward in evolution we could make IMO.
edit on 8-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: almost always the same.......Spellin'!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Thinking and acting for the collective good of everyone, even over self, will be the biggest step forward in evolution we could make IMO.

A little off topic, but your post made me think of this vid, and the benefit of acting and thinking collectively, beyond ourselves...sometimes.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by colbyforce

But regulations and taxes are bad for job creating business, right?

If GOP get their way, we will be back to the Robber Baron days of the 19th Century.
I think by "these people" colbyforce is referencing the corrupt regardless of political affiliation or business concern.

Don't you get it?!?!
GOP
Democrat
CEO
Corporation
They are all working for one common cause. Self and and the enslavement and control of us, the common man and woman.
by buying into the faction game Dems vs GOP, even Christian vs Jew vs Islam vs atheist. You are actually helping this Cabal of evil succeed!:flame

Time to wake up. There is so much to learn.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks, giving it a listen right now

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Finished watching the vid. you linked. Profound! Thank you for providing me with the next step forward on my journey of self-awareness

Key points I took away: "staircase in the mind ( good meditative aid), "Homo-Duplex, The "exploiter"/"free fider" sounds like the whole dang military industrial gang! The idea of the profane or ordinary life vs the collective.

Once again, thank you for sharing.

edit on 8-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: premature clickenterulation

edit on 8-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: forgot an "i"

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
In the first place, who allowed a ginormous nuclear waste receptical be built so close to one of the nations largest aquifers?????
Are the rich and powerful totally braindead? Do they realize they are also causing their own destruction.
edit on 8-4-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

Well I've often asked myself this and I'm left believing these people have hidden technology at their disposal. There are patents on file with the United States Patent Office of devices that can clean up nuclear waste and turn it into something useful and benign but the general public would never hear the government admit to there being such devices much less be willing to use them on the public's behalf. As one poster mentioned this is about the power to control others more so than about money. So I can only assume there must be a device that can clean water that has been contaminated with nuclear waste which would explain the cavalier attitude this particular billionaire have in regards to placing a radioactive waste dump on top of a water aquifer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join