It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news - Remembering Mike Wallace 1918-2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Not really no. He's always been an activist "journalist" and continued being a partisan, bias "journalist" till the end of his career. I guess that's ok though, when you're shilling for the right side.

Wow, I guess people really do see things totally different.
Were you being sarcastic?
The creation of journalism was to serve as a watchdog, now how can Wallace be partisan if he address all the critical events and personalities? And how can support of him be considered a shill? With that logic, could one not surmise that opposing Wallace's works would be a shill too?
Man, Fox really did some damage to our society when they started their labeling the mainstream media as left/liberal, geez....
60 minutes is arguably the best news show, that has done more service to the people, than any other outfit around. I say this after watching them for 30 + years.
edit on 8-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

We're losing a "REAL" investigative reporter that had a backbone. He's in the same category as Walter Cronkite, Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, Bob Friedman... just to name a few.

RIP Mike, you did good!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
I didn't mean to imply that you implied.
OK, I got it now.

The problem comes when it is the journalist that gets more attention than the story. Have you seen what the female news anchors, especially on FOX, are wearing these days? Meagan Kelly looks stunning, but she also looks like she's about to go to a cocktail party. No, I haven't. I do have Fox (along with many other foreign news channels) on cable, but I never watch it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

LOL these guys got to the bottom of nothing just like they do today, it was just allowed to be alot more Loudmouthed sounding back then, heck that was just the style people had.

Believing these people were hard-hitting and nothing more than owned shills is incredible...but then i realized who had posted the article and i was hardly surprised.

Long live the Empire !!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Won't be anymore like him.

I , those where the days. I remember watching him on the
First series of startrek amazing talent

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Christopher Plummer portrayed Mike Wallace in "The Insider", the 1999 film about a research chemist getting harassed for being a big tobacco whistle blower. It's been awhile since I saw it but I believe Mike was kind of a baddie. I remember him selling out Jeffrey Wigand (whistle blower) played by Russel Crowe...a pudgy, nerd version of Crowe.

Anybody else see that?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Mike Wallace met his maker on Easter..no less

M Wallace should have retired to a golf course home years ago...he could have had a serene last few years

but both his hubris and the network strong-arming kept him in the spotlights long after he was a vital force in society... the man was a hollow shell with a 'big' name & everyone played the poor man = including himself

RIP Mr Wallace

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Part of me is hoping that as we lose more of the "old school" journalists, who really set the bar back in the day, that the upcoming crop of journalists will study their lives and maybe adopt the journalistic ethics that we are lacking now.

Long shot of course... byt one can always hope.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
Christopher Plummer portrayed Mike Wallace in "The Insider", the 1999 film about a research chemist getting harassed for being a big tobacco whistle blower. It's been awhile since I saw it but I believe Mike was kind of a baddie. I remember him selling out Jeffrey Wigand (whistle blower) played by Russel Crowe...a pudgy, nerd version of Crowe.

Anybody else see that?

Wow. When I heard about this death I immediately thought of this. An excellent film that more than likely depicted Wallace in true spirit. Might have to watch that again this week

brill

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I liked Mike Wallace and the way he asked the tough questions, its rare to have great people like that, i somehow dont feel 60 minutes wont feel the same without him.

RIP Mike Wallace.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
rip mike wallace : one of the last true journalist of our time,before there were scripts and talking points. god speed man

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
R.I.P. Mike Wallace. The only time your name and news was ever bad.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Mike Wallace is one of the last representatives of an era in American journalism that seems to have long been forgotten.

Walter Cronkite rates up there. I honestly believe that Dan Rather does as well if you look at how the MSM and TPTB brought him down.

Today's journalists just can't touch this level of professional discourse and respect for the truth.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Not really no. He's always been an activist "journalist" and continued being a partisan, bias "journalist" till the end of his career. I guess that's ok though, when you're shilling for the right side.

It is a gross misnomer to think that journalists are anything other than 'activist'. Neutrality is a myth. Any so-called journalist who claims to be un-biased, or 'neutral' is lying to you.

Wallace v Ayn Rand

Wallace V Reagan

dcrevolt.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore

LOL these guys got to the bottom of nothing just like they do today, it was just allowed to be alot more Loudmouthed sounding back then, heck that was just the style people had.

Believing these people were hard-hitting and nothing more than owned shills is incredible..

While I am not interested in making the man out to be some kind of a hero, I'm curious if you can identify what he was shilling for, specifically.

I mean, its one thing to call someone a shill, and an entirely different thing to back the claim up with concrete examples.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

It is a gross misnomer to think that journalists are anything other than 'activist'. Neutrality is a myth. Any so-called journalist who claims to be un-biased, or 'neutral' is lying to you.

Perhaps personally they are biased and by definition they could be considered 'activists' but I think the older news reporting was more about reporting and less(not zero) opinion. They were more of a watchdog for the people imo, reporting more frankly, without as much liability to their owners/companies/investors.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Part of me is hoping that as we lose more of the "old school" journalists, who really set the bar back in the day, that the upcoming crop of journalists will study their lives and maybe adopt the journalistic ethics that we are lacking now.

Long shot of course... byt one can always hope.

I'm trying to keep the tradition alive; but I'm only one guy with a very small voice. I'm afraid that the "next crop of journalists" will be anything but; journalists - probably doing the weather nude. Would you mind sharing my show with your friends so that they might also benefit from a weekly dose of the truth?

Thanks brother.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Surprisingly the discussion we are having now about journalism back in the day and where we are now was already put to song.

@ - Oldcorp - Absolutely
edit on 9-4-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

"Brit's puddy cat"

Oh man, that was both accurate and hilarious!!
A great vid to sum it all up, nice find!

spec

top topics

<< 1   >>

join