It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alouette, je te plumerai --Interpretation Assistance Required

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I remeber this song from elementrary school and it is a pretty famous Canadian Folk Song, but I heard this version on a commercial. This rendition is by The Delta Rhythm Boys from the album Flickorna I Smaland

I won't mention the company, as I hate corporations, and I generally think that they are evil. I bought the album, which is loaded with fabulous songs and arrangements.

Anyway, this song and this version specifically has reached extreme "ear worm" status over the last few days:

en.wikipedia.org...

This happens to me from time to time, when I get literally obsessed with certain songs and I have to listen to them over and over and over again. It is a little embarassing, as I cannot listen to a song repeatedly in the presence of my friends/family because to those not currently under the spell of the song, hearing it over and over again is akin to psychological torture.

The lyrics are all about plucking a lark, but the lyrics belie the tempo and emotional resonance of the song, which I happen to like in music, the juxtaposition of disparate emotions in a song. Happy music/ dark lyrics.

Anyway, as a lark (alouette) was also used to describe a person that was a busy body and very chatty, this song could also be a veiled threat that whoever has loose lips or stirring the pot is about to get put in their place, plucked so to say.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this song, or any others? I get a lot of meaning and symbolic messages about existence from songs, and when I have this compulsion to listen to a certain song over and over again, it usually means there is some an underlying reason. Music is often a harbinger of something on the horizon, so any thoughts in helping me interpret this current song obession are welcome.

Friendly Lark, I will pluck you.
edit on 8-4-2012 by mirrormaker326 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have the same problem with
The Streets of Cairo, or the Poor Little Maid

once I start
I just can't stop

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Dear ATS Member -

I too remember the song from elementary school. Apparently, according to the lyrics (english translation) obtained from metrolyrics.com/alouette-english-translation-lyrics-children.html (sorry, I don't know how to properly transfer the information like the other members by providing links) .....yes, they do refer to plucking a lark.

After looking at the lyrics and singing it again in my head - it is not exactly sung in a "round" but there is repetition. Granted, it may appear morbid as far as references to plucking the (feathers from the) head, nose, eyes, neck, wings, back, legs and back.... but since we were taught it in French in our music class, we just enjoyed the foreign words and I would suppose it may have been used as a learning tool. "this is my neck, my eyes, my back, etc" when singing the song - perhaps much like our "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" song we sing to preschoolers.

Just my 2cents.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
There was a song made about a year ago by an interesting artist called Mark Ronson and the Business, featuring rapper Q-Tip (yes that's a real rappers name lol) titled "Bang Bang Bang" that uses some lyrics from this song along with other curious lyrics, such as "there's a rumour goin round, bout the suits that run the town. If you look up at the sky, them birds fly high (high)" and "numbers, your counting numbers. You're logging hours, but don't see the big picture. Over your shoulders..."

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mirrormaker326

The song really is as simple as it sounds,Little skylark etc,plucking feathers from various parts of the body,however,there were more sinister undertones attached to the song by the Maquis(French Resistance) after the liberation of France during WW2 where suspected collaborators were rounded up and the song was sung to them by resistance members with such changes as (in English) little skylark we will cut out your tongue,put out your eyes etc.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

That is very interesting. I had no idea it was also used by the Marquis. I guess I will read up on the French Resistance. Thanks, I appreciate the response.

top topics

join