It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Chink in the Armor For Global Warming? Record Snowfall in Anchorage.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Anchorage on Saturday surpassed a 57-year-old record for snowfall in one season, the National Weather Service reported.

The old record of 132.6 inches in Alaska's largest city occurred in 1954-1955, it said. But 3.4 inches of snow that fell from midnight to 4 p.m. local time pushed the season total to 133.6 inches -- more than 11 feet, the National Weather Service said.

The total is nearly double Anchorage’s normal amount, The Associated Press said.

Anchorage breaks 57-year-old record for snow in one season

I'm not sure anyone believes that there is not some sort of a climate shift occurring on Earth. But the political term "global warming", meaning that the entire planet is heating up due only to man's interference, i.e. progress, I and many people, including climatologists, environmentalists, geologists and ecologists, believe to be a load of hogwash. And now we have Anchorage with a record amount of snow. Nearly double the normal amount!

The absolute fact is that we only have about 150 years of hard data to draw from. Are some areas getting warmer? Of course they are. Science proves it. However, with only 150 years of data out of about 4 billion years of weather, saying that man is the absolute cause is egocentric at best. The only honest answer that any person can come up with is "I don't know why the Earth is exhibiting these changes."

The scientific community needs to come to terms with their towering egos, as do the political and business communities, and come up with real solutions to help humans adapt to the inevitable changes that are going on, without completely destroying the economy with it.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It is always so comical to me when i see someone try to offset the info of a warming planet just because there is a big snowfall somewhere on the planet..' first off look at the overall trend. not occasional spats of snow or small ice build up .. lol
research
Also watch vids of James Lovelock
edit on 8-4-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Global warming isn't disproved because of record snowfall in one place.
it isn't called anchorage warming.
and i don't beleive we have had any noticable effect on the planet's warming.
its just something that is happening that we don't yet fully understand.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
lol

globl warming leads to climate change, changing currents, weather patterns, and records

including snow in alaska

c'mon man

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
. But the political term "global warming", meaning that the entire planet is heating up due only to man's interference, i.e. progress,

huh ?

I don't know anyone who defines it that way, not even my 11 year old

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm sorry - the new ATS doesn't permit of any racial slurring. You should consider renaming the thread "An Asian in the Armor For Global Warming" so as not to involuntarily offend. Thank you for your attention in this matter.
edit on 8-4-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

. But the political term "global warming", meaning that the entire planet is heating up due only to man's interference, i.e. progress,

huh ?

That bastion of wrong information, Wikipedia would disagree with your 11 year old:

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations

/TOA
edit on 8-4-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
It is always so comical to me when i see someone try to offset the info of a warming planet just because there is a big snowfall somewhere on the planet..' first off look at the overall trend. not occasional spats of snow or small ice build up .. lol
research
Also watch vids of James Lovelock
edit on 8-4-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

I'm guessing you replied to the title, not the body. I said I believe the climate is shifting. I'm not going to rehash the rest of it for you. This website may help you.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

What a fail

So you dont believe man is causing global warming and you claim to have enviornmentalists, climate scientists etc who believe as you do?
I think you find those to be a small minority

150 yrs hard data??
FAIL
Geological records

Record snowfall in anchorage?
FAIL
what about Europes record colds from last year and year before?
Read up on climate heat distribution.....

So what thing you going to blame the warming on? the sun?
or could it be the "energy cloud" we been passing through that is 3000C in temperature? come on; what other excuse are you going to dig up so you can sleep better at night

edit on 8-4-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

huh ?

That bastion of wrong information, Wikipedia would disagree with your 11 year old:

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations

/TOA
edit on 8-4-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

what a wishy washy mess. not at all what you posted and irrelevant. something tells me this thread really is just a response to another poster from previous threads

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by minor007

Here's some light reading for you:

Blogger Finds Y2K Bug in NASA Climate Data: Years of bad data corrected; 1998 no longer the warmest year on record.

NASA has now silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly astounding. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II.

The last 10 years are the warmest? Not so sure about that.

New Scandal Erupts over NOAA Climate Data

The theory of global warming began to explain one simple set of factsm-- surface temperature monitoring stations have shown a roughly one degree rise over the past century. But just where does these temperature readings come from? Most are reported by volunteer stations, usually no more than a thermometer inside a small wooden hut or below a roof overhang. In the US, 1,221 such stations exist, all administered by the National Climatic Data Center, a branch of the NOAA.

Two months ago, I reported on an effort to validate this network. A volunteer group headed by meteorologist Anthony Watts had found serious problems. Not only did sites fail to meet the NCDC's requirements, but encroaching development had put many in ridiculously unsuitable locations -- on hot black asphalt, next to trash burn barrels, beside heat exhaust vents, even attached to hot chimneys and above outdoor grills.

Over grills...now THAT'S scientific accuracy for you!

Here's an article with leaked emails between global warming activists trying to figure out how to manipulate the populace into believing their crap. Looks like a few of you fell for it. Even The Guardian believes they are real:

Thorne/MetO: Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study and approach and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous. We need to communicate the uncertainty and be honest. Phil, hopefully we can find time to discuss these further if necessary [...]

Thorne: I also think the science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run.

Also, hard data is "it's 64° right now in my home town". Hard data is not "it was colder 20,000 years ago". That data is inferred. It cannot tell us why it was colder, just like data today cannot tell definitively that it is warmer solely because of man's influence. It could be a natural cycle yet unknown, it could be because the bees are dying out, it could be Martians.

But the fact is that nobody knows for certain why it's warmer. Activists think they know, and they want it to be one way or another, but all they're doing is fanning the flames of political activism. Which will ruin the global economy in the short run.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

blogger link is 5 yrs old....

heres an update from this year link

and leaked emails did not show any mistruths amongst the climate scientists.

And for the other piece of misinformation heres a link that shows you the weather stations in the US but at this time of posting the site is undergoing maintenance lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
As difficult as it might be to accept, and as bad as we are polluting our planet (and I do think that we could be much better stewards of our beautiful world), I don't think we are having as much affect on our climate as we would be lead to believe by many.

Any ideology can (and most probably will) be manipulated in order to further the goals of those who would gain or maintain control over others. "Climate science" is not immune to this seemingly immutable fact.

The record snow fall reported in the OP could very well be due to a "blocking pattern" as mentioned in a thread I authored a couple of days ago: Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns

A post I made in the thread, Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!, states among other things:

It has been suggested that global synchrony might have been achieved through some kind of interhemispheric linking, such as changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration (Corlis, 1982; Manabe and Broccoli, 1985; Johnson and Andrews, 1986). However, by itself, CO2 produces a relatively small greenhouse warming effect. For example, the Vostok ice core measurements of Barnola et al. (1987) show that at the end of the ice age CO2 concentration rose by 25% from 195 ppm to 260 ppm
emphasis mine

Compared with carbon dioxide, methane underwent a much larger percentage increase at the end of the ice age, doubling from about 360 ppb to 725 ppb, as determined from measurements of the Summit, Greenland ice core (Chappellaz et al, 1993). However, since its absolute concentration is 1000 fold less than that of CO2, it is not a major contributor to greenhouse warming. Rather, its increase also is most likely a response to climatic change rather than an instigator, the rise in CH4 concentration being attributed to the increased abundance of vegetation which is a major producer of this gas
emphasis mine

Excerpts from: Evidence for a Global Warming at the Termination I Boundary and Its Possible Cosmic Dust Cause

Now, all of this is not to say that human activity has no impact on our climate, but I think that there are much larger influences (the sun, volcanoes, etc.) other than our (admitedly dirty) activities.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I guess they got ours then. We only got 18" all winter. Normally that's one good storm. And it WAS quite warm.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

climate scientists fully understand it...i will put it in simple words, so nobody has to even spend time actually reading the research.
2/3rds of the globe is water....warmer air heats up the water...more water rises up into the atmosphere....watered air hits cold air from poles, more snow falls out of the sky.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Now, all of this is not to say that human activity has no impact on our climate, but I think that there are much larger influences (the sun, volcanoes, etc.) other than our (admitedly dirty) activities.

Do you have quantitative evidence to suggest this?

These factors have been looked at quite extensively for decades by scientists and they do not explain current climate changes.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

climate scientists fully understand it...i will put it in simple words, so nobody has to even spend time actually reading the research.
2/3rds of the globe is water....warmer air heats up the water...more water rises up into the atmosphere....watered air hits cold air from poles, more snow falls out of the sky.

Exactly. If Anchorage, and other places, were seeing lots of record-setting cold, and not heat, then yes that would disprove global warming.

As it turns out, actual data is showing far more record-setting heat instead of record-setting cold, exactly what you would expect with global warming.

Extra precipitation is not disproof of global warming.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

150 years of climate data? That would be insignificant to come to any kind of conclusion on the effects humans have (if any) on Earths climate.

But how about 400,000 years of climate data?

Try searching Google for Lake Vostok ice core data, it is rather eye opening.

And to reiterate what has already been said, record snowfall could be a sign of Global Warming. And if we could have a list of those scintist and climatologist that don't agree with a human factor to climate change, you could probably list them all here.

Would help your argument.
edit on 9-4-2012 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Due to budget restraints, most of the weather stations in Russia have been closed down long ago, therefore a large chunk of data is missing, so world weather data is incomplete.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join