It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time to take prescription meds away from the American Public

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
100,000 Americans die each year from Prescription medications

100,000 Americans die each year from prescription drugs — that’s 270 per day, or, as you put it, more than twice as many who are killed in car accidents each day. Could you elaborate on this? Are these people abusing their prescription drugs or is this a sign of prescription meds gone bad?

Source

Pharmaceutical companies are nothing but drug cartels but they are legal thanks to a few people from Washington.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
How many people are saved by prescription drugs annually though?

It's time to take McDonalds away from the American public.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I would say there are many factors involved. Big Pharma has a duty of care to the population but corporate greed may get in the way of this, depending on how far down the line greed travels. Clinical trials should screen out the most dangerous substances and they also decide what must be prescribed and what can be freely available.

Human error will play a big part in the numbers, wrongly prescribed meds and such. A doctor is capable of as many mistakes as the next man. Then theres substance abuse by individuals who were prescribed drugs to make their quality of life better.

It's a sad fact, but if people looked after themselves better in the first place a lot of these deaths could be avoided. A sensible diet and things in moderation would eliminate the need for prescription drugs in many cases IMO.
edit on 8/4/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here is one person who would be dead without them.
Thanks for your vote of support.

I agree Americans are over medicated to the detriment of many.
Point taken.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I agree completely,,I am totally against pain pills,,,I just went to the doctor for a pinched nerve in my neck,,I wanted an MRI,,but instead got muscle relaxers and pain pills,,which is why I neglected to go to start with. I am still waiting a week later for the referral, which is a 5 second phone call from my doctor to the MRI place across the street.,,what a negligent POS. He cant make a simple phone call but he can prescribe me vikadin and flexoril at the snap of a finger..so I guess Ill just stay doped up until he decides to call,,I feel like suing the guy..

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

No, it's not time to take drugs away from Americans. We don't need any more restrictions.
We don't need any more excuses to be locked up for eternity.

All they need to do is to bust the crooked doctors rather than the patients. Doctors that will give any patient an excessive prescription just for having an x ray.

They exist, pain pills are a big problem where I am from. There are doctors in Florida that people used to go to. They would prescribe pain pills that usually are only prescribed for people with terrible afflictions (up to and including cancer), but the people go to Florida/Ohio/Michigan, see the doctor, the doctor sends them to a place to get an x ray (usually just down the street and in operation with the doctors scheme) and then when the people come back the doctor writes them a crazy prescription. Then the patient will do this a few times in the state and head home. All of the prescriptions legally in their name. The come back to their home state and sell the drugs for high prices (between 15 - 80 dollars a pill depending what pills and where) and do it over again the next month. Those doctors are the ones that need to be stopped.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by avatard

You might want to take your muscle relaxer, flexeril isn't addictive, doesn't have any desireable/recreational effect and it might help.

If you are worried about addiction though.. stay far away from your vicodin.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
its too late to rehab for most. recreational drugs are a way of life for almost the majority of Americans. vices to "cope" with non-spiritual, material consumption-driven and pleasure-seeking lives.

they will literally go on psychotic destruction & even massacre sprees.

Perhaps TPTB planned it that way, afterall CIA is the biggest drug dealer in the world. Pull the supply and presto you have a major culling or depop. Only reason they dont is likely- the income.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
I would say there are many factors involved. Big Pharma has a duty of care to the population but corporate greed may get in the way of this, depending on how far down the line greed travels.

Money always comes first for corporations. Big pharma has shareholders to satisfy, the "duty of care" is nothing more than words designed to trick the population into thinking that they "care". They couldn't care less about you, and that is the truth.

The worst thing is, there is no money to be made out of healthy people. Only sick people. So those people who think that big pharma's goal is to put themselves out of business are delusional, and possibly mentally ill.

It is not a "side effect" that medications they manufacture these days cause you great harm if you ever stop taking them. They are deliberately designed to do this. In the old days, big pharma relied on addiction to keep their customers coming back to them, but they have evolved past that now.

Some people think they need to see the doctor a lot because they get sick a lot. But the truth is, they get sick a lot because they visit the doctor a lot.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I doubt that.. most of them will just continue to be addicts, some will die, least of all will get clean.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It's time to take ___________________ away from the American public.

Um, no.

We keep our guns, cars, meds, water, air, knives, rocks, stairs, sodas, liquor, cigarettes.

We are adults. We self-determine. We are a country of individuals.

We can swim 10 minutes after eating lunch.
We can run with sissors if we choose to.
We can bungee jump while smoking and doing jello shots off the stomachs of co-eds, if we decide to.

The fact that there are people in the world that actually think they know better and can determine for others what is best, astounds me.

Tend to your own garden, as it were.

*This is going to be my cut-n-paste answer for all the threads concerning themselves with taking things away.

Have a nice day.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatard
I agree completely,,I am totally against pain pills,,,I just went to the doctor for a pinched nerve in my neck,,I wanted an MRI,,but instead got muscle relaxers and pain pills,,which is why I neglected to go to start with.

The pain you are experiencing is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. They want to give you "pain relief" so you won't be aware of this warning sign, and will injure yourself further. $$$

I used to get headaches when I smoked for example. Why should I take something to relieve the headache? So I could continue to smoke?

An advertisement on the TV just this afternoon for Nurofen (a pain reliever) showed a jogger experiencing pain in his knee (his body telling him to stop jogging). He takes a Nurofen, and now he can continue jogging with a big smile on his face!

Another advert this afternoon was for a product that relieves heartburn. I only used to get heartburn when I ate a whole large pizza and washed it down with a few glasses of coke. The advert stated "is heartburn stopping you from enjoying foods you like?"

The medical industry encourages the use of pain relievers so that you will continue to do more damage to your body so they can cash in on it later when it becomes more serious. It's scary that I am the only one that notices this.
edit on 8/4/12 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Exactly what I was thinking.
Your first sentence and following "um, no." should be the answer to all the threads like these.
edit on 8-4-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Seriously? I have a quite a few medical conditions and am in constant pain no matter what yet i can not find a doctor to write me even the SMALLEST pain killer prescription because they are all so freakin' afraid of being busted or something! And here i see someone saying how easy it is to go to another state, get an x-ray and get multiple scripts??? You have GOT to be high! LOL Even the pain clinics around here will not write scripts for Vicodin/Percs or any other such narcotic unless your suffering from something dire like cancer.

I suffer from something called Myasthenia Gravis and all my doctor insist it does not cause pain... well, as I live with it from day to day, I beg the differ, but they don't listen they just want to write me scripts for TOXIC stuff like methotrexate or imurran

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

What you say is true and there are communities especially in coal country (Kentucky, WVa) where entire families are addicts with many of them locked up in prison.
One reason for it is that doctors routinely under-prescribe or fail entirely to treat people with severe pain issues. What else can they do but buy them on the black market?
I'm not trying to excuse them but people in real pain will do ANYTHING to get it to stop.
Many doctors are afraid to write scripts for pain meds due to DEA and insurance company monitoring of medications they write.
Pain is the #1 under-treated affliction in the US.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

This is a major problem, isn't it? I live in a small town in Southern Ohio. I would say at least half the town, including police, fire, and city employees, is hooked on Prescription drugs, mostly Oxycodone, and Hydrocodone, both opiates, in the form of Vicodin. They will crush these Vicodin tablets, and snort the powder up their nose. We have had home invasions where the target was prescription drugs, and two years ago a popular retired female teacher was raped and murdered, the only thing missing was her pain medications and her money. It has gotten so bad, even the DEA was sniffing around here. Ohio is a main corridor, it is said.

I think this all started with the coal company doctors. Coal workers have bad backs, and the company doctors would prescribe narcotics. This went on for several generations, Father to son. Now the people have a built in receptor for the drugs, and some will sell their bodies just to have it.

We need a new drug!
One that will block those receptors that make us want to intake drugs.

I'm not trying to be funny here, but trying to make a point. The Pharmaceutical companies started this, I say let them clean it up.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Don't just blame the drug companies. Most people don't know the truth behind oxycontin abuse. We invaded Afghanistan and said we are going to stop your illegal drug exports to the world. But it was there only source of income for the country. Delimma! What do you do? Well lets come up with a new way for you to sell it legally. Oxycontin! And to enforce the sale of it we will make workmans comp patients take it and tell those workman comp doctors to perscribe this drug to all its patients. And we will make them take it. We will even drug test them to make sure they take it. Who cares if its addicting and it turns into a street drug. And then the criminal element gets involved. Send in those patients and pay thier copay on the perscriptions and get the drugs then ship them all over the US and make lots of money.

www.miamiherald.com...

These pharmacies have drawn scrutiny for the high number of oxycodone pills they sell. While the average pharmacy in the U.S. distributes 74,000 oxycodone pills annually, the average Florida pharmacy distributes more than 112,000 pills per year, the DEA says.
One Walgreen pharmacy in Fort Myers now under investigation sold more than 2.1 million oxycodone pills in 2011 — more than 22 times the oxycodone sales at the same pharmacy two years earlier, the DEA said.
Other Walgreen stores under investigation are in Fort Pierce, Oviedo, Hudson and Port Richey.

Read more here: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

Walgreens stores in Ft Pierce Florida are selling around 6 million pills more a year than any where else in the country?

www.tcoasttalk.com...

More details emerge on alleged prescription drug ring after arrests in St. Lucie County

The drug ring I bring up above is interesting because there is more to the story. There is a elderly woman and her two daughters who are chargedin the ring. They have a secret in the family. And its not that they got caught selling drugs. So what is it? She has a son too. Hes in the Department of Homeland Security.
edit on 8-4-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yep. I am from coal country (ky). I know many people addicted and many of my graduating class have died from overdose. You are correct, people that need the pain medicine aren't able to get it easily here because doctors are watched, so they travel out of state to get theirs. When out of state they visit crooked doctors that over write the prescription and so they start selling the extra to pay for their trip out of state and for their prescription.

Then they realize how much money they make and start "doctor shopping."
Then they start paying for other people that don't need pain medicine to go so they can get even more.
Eventually the streets are flooded. The next epidemic is of course heroin. The cops start busting all the RX dealers and it leaves a void, hundreds (if not thousands) of addicts with no drugs so drug dealers start bringing in the street drugs (heroin) from detroit and the cops have an even bigger problem than the one they thought they solved. Now they have violent criminals and gang members filling up the government houses and dealing drugs where before they just had hard working, down in the back addicts (of course there are exceptions, violent criminals dealing rx too, but not as many).

This is part of why I support Paul and think the war on drugs is a big waste of time and money.
edit on 8-4-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
muse7
Yes please take all my Prescription medications away then you can come to my house and watch me die it wont take long maybe 3 days as my lungs shut down and my heart stops ..I'm on 24 different medications 2 of them are high powered pain pills ..I have to take up to 40 pills a day just to eat my 3 meals a day ..Were i live i had to sign a paper that i needed the pain meds for life and i wouldn't doctor shop to get them its a law in Minnesota to sign this agreement and its put into there main computers..
If people cant get there pain pills there going to hit the streets to get them and thats a fact the war on drugs will never work...
When i saw this thread i went Seriously? I'm tired of these threads on what should be taken away from the American Public ! and this isn't like me to get mad..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
OP, you must be one of those earth depopulator types. What about epileptics, diabetics, cystic fibrosis, TB, HIV and AIDS, meningitus etc? There are many diseases in which people would die without proper medication. Instead of taking away prescription meds, maybe you really meant improper prescriptions and/or dosages. How can you possibly deny a medicinal cure to a suffering or dying patient?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join