It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all of those people creating threads in the Philosophy forum, asserting so-called "truth"...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

but if we can know anything at all, or if we can know many many things, we can judge our degrees of certainty,, and what we think we know if based in reality will prove itself true.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by Americanist

and is the torus just like a neat idea of the universe, a design for everything that happens and works to happen and work?

Kind of neat like designing a computer chip or phone app... The universe a slight bit more complex judging by its attributes though.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

"Matter is structured accordingly. My intuitive nature along with that of many others continues to reference the torus as our driving force"

im just wondering the significance of the torus, and by your above statements do you mean the torus is our driving force specifically humans, or all matter in physical reality?

like what actually moves in the torus pattern?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

"Matter is structured accordingly. My intuitive nature along with that of many others continues to reference the torus as our driving force"

im just wondering the significance of the torus, and by your above statements do you mean the torus is our driving force specifically humans, or all matter in physical reality?

like what actually moves in the torus pattern?

The driver of cycles similar to how you view a computer screen working, so yes... It pertains to matter in general.

Magnetic field lines and the energy twisted around them. As far as what started the ball rolling... All I'm able to cite is a spin on Newton's Cradle and the chain reaction of an atomic bomb. There's obviously a few more clues required to give you an answer detailing the ignition sequence.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

My Knowing

If you want to hear absolute protest; it's when people see the lack of love enacted. Genocide, bigotry, war, abuse, murder, rape.... these are things that our souls protest in every way possible. Knowing that this is the innate quality that humans hanker after (love that is), even the ones who do rape and pillage, they all want love... this alone should tell you that love must be the driving force of the universe. But how about this; there is not god, goddess, or wonderfully powerful being. There is nothing but bleakness and suffering, it is what you were made for. You are an accident of nature, a fluke of DNA ones and zeros to make up a binary code unique to your Being. Yours is essentially a life that can easily be snuffed out and there is no need for you to have principals and morality, you can do whatever you like. Why do you have principals, why are you moral? Because you are driven by love. Love is a thing that is not tangible, yet you can feel it with your whole being, it is the same way with God, for He is Love, and if you love Him, you can feel Him with your whole being. Loving God means to leave other things out of that love, give unto Caesar etc… God is illogical, but logical, He is what makes me not fear, and not hate and not worry. If you really truly believe in God, you can’t follow any religion, because all religion has been twisted into what man deem fit for themselves in their various circumstances. Not one of the “world” religions has the beauty in it that could make me want to belong. I love this line from Snow Patrol’s song The Lightning Strike “And soft hallelujahs flow in from the church. The one on the corner you said frightened you. It was too dark and too large to find your soul in.”

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

This thread is.... pointless?

A belief is a belief it doesn't need to be scientifically proved.

If science proves otherwise, then ok,the belief is gone, it becomes fact.

But even science is not always right...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

There are some that can recognize the truth and those that cannot. Ego is a stumbling block to enlightenment.

The Truth is self evident. It rings as illumination or light. The truth adds up as a total of understanding. There were those disciples who understood and those that questioned. You know Truth instantly if you can receive it from within. (Example) The Sun warms the planet and with out it the planet would become a ice ball. Truth. Matter exists. Truth. Something controls matter. Truth

All of creation came from intelligent control of matter. Truth You and your mind control matter. Truth You co-create and matter is transformed. Truth You are intelligent. (You were able to be potty trained)LOLs. Truth: You created something from matter by the use of your mind. Guess what you are?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

But this isn't about beliefs. This is about asserting a belief as truth when we don't even know that it is.

Truth is known, not believed.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The only thing you cannot negate is your own being.
To be or not to be? That is the question.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In my opinion:

The concept Truth is a product of language and it will forever be trapped in the synthetic systems we've built on top of it. The concepts "existence", "reality" etc. likely suffer the same fate. We cannot even define the labels we put on things, yet we still attempt to systematize our ideas. In this case, we debate our system of semantics, our system of language, and build even more systems to stuff up the holes. We try to build Truth, and keep it standing as long as possible, until another idea rushes in and completely destroys it. Truth is a human concept.

It's probable that our vast wealth of ideas—ideas, ideas and ideas, piled almost endlessly upon one another, some stale and some new—is still finite. Maybe truth is as simple as finding what was the very first idea, and then peering even further; a search for pure innocence and emancipation from the web we've spun since the dawn of human existence.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
In my opinion:

The concept Truth is a product of language and it will forever be trapped in the synthetic systems we've built on top of it. The concepts "existence", "reality" etc. likely suffer the same fate. We cannot even define the labels we put on things, yet we still attempt to systematize our ideas. In this case, we debate our system of semantics, our system of language, and build even more systems to stuff up the holes. We try to build Truth, and keep it standing as long as possible, until another idea rushes in and completely destroys it. Truth is a human concept.

It's probable that our vast wealth of ideas—ideas, ideas and ideas, piled almost endlessly upon one another, some stale and some new—is still finite. Maybe truth is as simple as finding what was the very first idea, and then peering even further; a search for pure innocence and emancipation from the web we've spun since the dawn of human existence.

Truth is human? Try to come up with an original idea then. Fortunately, you shifted gears in the second paragraph.

“In the hour of our Twilight we will be together soon, if we will be anything at all.” -Trent Reznor

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
1. Truth is self evident and sometimes corroborated via the individual experiences of others.
2.The same way that you know that you know anything at all.
3. Experienced it
4. Same as above

Originally posted by arpgme
How do you know that it is truth at all? How do you know that you know what you know?

How do you know that God(s) or a universal mind exist?

How do you know that there is a dominant force of love?

All of these new age spiritual universal "Truths', or that even think "Jesus is truth" how do you know that these things are true?

In other words, this thread is about Pyrrhonism. How do you know that anything that you know is actually true? Do you actually question your beliefs or do you have them just because it feel good or you had and unexplainable situation so you came up with your own explaination even though there is not evidence or proof?
edit on 8-4-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
In my opinion:

Truth is human? Try to come up with an original idea then. Fortunately, you shifted gears in the second paragraph.

“In the hour of our Twilight we will be together soon, if we will be anything at all.” -Trent Reznor

No. I did not say truth is human; that's how you interpreted it—or misinterpreted it in this case.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

We try to build Truth, and keep it standing as long as possible, until another idea rushes in and completely destroys it. Truth is a human concept.

As a human concept... What we're building with our perception/ ideas. Notice I asked the question, so perhaps you'd care to expound a bit more.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
We build our sense of truth by judging whether something has high amounts of logic in it. We know what is the truth when it is very logical, and fits in with reality. Because what is not true is very illogical.

The truth that we hold in our mind is like a huge puzzle that is constructed by seeing how its many different small parts fit together logically and compatibly.

If the puzzle is very big and has strong links, then it gives us a good sense that it is true or logical.

What we think to be true has to be constructed by strong logic, and it also helps if it can be verified by many people.

An example would be the idea of reincarnation and past lives. If thousands of people have verified it to be true, then it is most likely to be true. Reincarnation and past lives would also seem to be true if their existence answers our questions of spirituality and the meaning of our existence on Earth.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Apologies.

For me, it's probable that Truth, as a word, concept, idea etc. and all it's subsequent definitions, are completely synthetic and only exist because we're trapped under vast systems of synthetic ideas and language. We sift through thousands and thousands of years of ideas and interpretations of nature, and build our own truth out of those ideas.

This would leave me to believe a new-born has a better grasp of truth than we do; or truth is something as simple as nature; or truth is merely a concept and idea, completely synthetic, nothing more, nothing tangible, and nothing worth searching for.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

This would leave me to believe a new-born has a better grasp of truth than we do; or truth is something as simple as nature; or truth is merely a concept and idea, completely synthetic, nothing more, nothing tangible, and nothing worth searching for.

At least you're giving me something to work with...

If travel is searching,
And home what's been found

I'm not stopping

Path to higher consciousness begins with childlike innocence.

cont...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join