It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea threatens 'merciless punishment' as it readies rocket launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Nor th Korea threatens 'merciless punishment' as it readies rocket launch
7:50PM BST 07 Apr 2012 -- The Telegraph

North Korea says "hands off" our missile !!

And they mean business.

Anyone caught intercepting their missile will be in for "merciless punishment"

Japan and South Korea are on standby alert in anticipation of an expected launch next week.

Japan and South Korea have put their armed forces on standby in response to North Korea's plans, prepared to shoot down the missile if it passes over their territory.

North Korea was this weekend believed to be at the first stage of launching the rocket, expected between April 12 and 16, claiming that it is part of the centenary celebrations for the birth of the state's founder Kim Il Sung.

However, the United States, Japan and South Korea believe that in reality it will be a ballistic missile test in violation of UN resolutions.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
most likley more hollow threats but who knows the new guy (cant remember his name right now) might think he has to live up to his fathers expectations

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Here's the official video from Korea...

I tried to share it around online but after Kony and SOPA no one seems to care about anything anymore.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

LOL Ruh Roh. What are they gonna do? Issue more empty threats? Kill is with laughter? Shut up North Korea, nobody likes you.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
North Korea has been quite open about the rocket preparations and has put a satellite, not a war head in it. But such a device can carry both and has been cause for concern with long, ongoing nuclear discussions. I can understand the international communities point of concern, as this capability when the North and South are not in a peaceful state can lead to devastating results.

However in pushing for reunification of Korea, the space industry and technology is of common interest between the North and South. If or when the wall comes down it will create a lot of disturbances and confusion so having some common interests and goals will help in overcoming the challenges.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So what are you trying to tell us, that we need to invade IRAN now?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
North Korea says "hands off" our missile !!

And they mean business.

Small correction needed

"North Korea says "hands off" our rocket !!"
"Anyone caught intercepting their rocket will be in for "merciless punishment"
"

DPRK says it's a satellite launch, obviously you don't launch a satellite on a missile lol, why can't we believe them? (we; referring to the MSM of course). To me, using the word missile implies they have hostile intentions.

Anyhow, i think it's reasonable for neighbouring countries to be alert during the launch. But in the event it IS a rocket carrying a satellite and it does get shot down... whoever ends up taking it out is going to look like a clown because they are effectively neutralising a non-existant threat, and it will be treated as a pre-emptive attack by the North.

Even if it's a satellite intended for spying on foreign communications or terrain... DPRK has every right to put one in orbit, almost every other country with a military has several spy satellites orbiting as it is.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This would be hillarious if it wasnt so damn tempting a target for all those down range anti missiles that could actually use some live fire practice, as well as being able to prove the conepts of their weapons, some of which i believe have yet to get a confirmed missile kill....
This is a very important boost to anti missile sales if the US or anyone armed with US systems bring it down.....
Even China may have to get into the act........
I am sure we have a lot of different systems which this will pass in range of.....
i hope somebody takes a shot, but it may just be a spark to korean conflict....

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Blah blah blah fearmonger fearmonger doom doom doom. One would think the media would get bored with these outdated scare tactics and move on. They should get a little more creative at least its becoming rather dull.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Quick question in regards to the video of DPRK Propoganda. How many of you noticed the submarine?
I've never seen a John Deere Green sub until now. Do they operate in algae blooms?
Is it too much to ask the DPRK to make a legitimate English version of their news for crying out loud? Russia at least does that much and I know the DPRK has a buttload of English-speaking people in their country. They teach it to them.
edit on 7-4-2012 by Marrr because: grammatical error

edit on 7-4-2012 by Marrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
This would be hillarious if it wasnt so damn tempting a target for all those down range anti missiles that could actually use some live fire practice, as well as being able to prove the conepts of their weapons, some of which i believe have yet to get a confirmed missile kill....
This is a very important boost to anti missile sales if the US or anyone armed with US systems bring it down.....
Even China may have to get into the act........
I am sure we have a lot of different systems which this will pass in range of.....
i hope somebody takes a shot, but it may just be a spark to korean conflict....

I suspect quieter, cleverer heads have prevailed and the missile--which is the same kind that can carry a warhead--will be allowed to go its way. Yet, the satellite, IF it achieves its goal of a stable orbit will suffer a malfunction fairly early in its life.

Nothing so drastic as an anti-missile strike by another nation, but via an internal problem that will make it space junk in short order. NK will still tout it as being operational, of course, but the contrary powers will know that it is useless and not able to complete its mission.

So in the end, both sides win to some extent, but NK will have learned that such efforts are not worthwhile to persue. We, of course, will be left to believe that NK won the game of words, but that will not be the hidden game played.

join