It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seinfeld - A Metaphysical Look Into His Mind

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is all playful speculation, but I sometimes wonder if Jerry Seinfeld designed his show to be a hyperbolic exposition of his own inner psyche.............Here's my theory of how it all may work.

The power of reason, the intellect, consciousness, is symbolized by the title character of the show, Jerry Seinfeld. He is the only character in the show which retains his true name (he is the only character who remains real, whereas everyone around him is a figment or creation of his imagination), and the only character in the show who takes a dispassionate (that is, totally rational, often to the extreme) attitude in almost every situation he encounters. Everyone (or every state in him) has something going on, but Jerry often think's little or nothing of it. Interestingly, early on, Jerry Seinfeld was exposed to transcendental meditation, which he regards as being the reason for why he is the way he is, that is, why he's so nonchalant about life.

The 3 other main characters in the show, George, Elaine, Kramer, could be seen to be exaggerated (or, since they are primarily emotive aspects, it would make sense that they are exaggerated beyond what the reason - Jerry - would limit them as) representations of aspects in Jerry's own personality, each with a highly defined characteristic or attribute: George = the Neurotic, Kramer = The Spontaneous eccentric, Elaine = The Feminine Buddy. Each character's relationship with Jerry demonstrates an archetypal relationship between itself and the faculty of reason (symbolized by Jerry), or, how Jerry relates with each of these aspects within himself.

First there's the congenial relationship between Jerry and George. Jerry, as reason, and George, his Neurosis; Significantly (as a psychological fact) this relationship goes back to Jerry's childhood (In an old interview, Jerry once said he was very neurotic/anxious as a kid). In the show, George and Jerry's relationship goes back to their childhood. In his present state, Jerry (the nonchalant, almost stoic power of reason) tolerates the worries and fears and obsessions of George - the neurotic. George still lives with his parents (for the most of the show), which could be a metaphorical way of saying Jerry's neurosis extends back to his early childhood and his upbringing (by his parents).

On the other side, we have Cosmo Kramer. As an etymology, Cosmo (or cosmos) means the world, or universe, or 'total consciousness'; Kramer is the power of spontaneity, probably corresponding to the Fool card in the Tarot deck; he acts irrationally, follows his 'spirit' wherever it leads him. Kramer also lives right next door (that is, the completely spontaneous, irrational urge, which is paradoxically closest to consciousness) to Jerry, abruptly barges into Jerry's apartment whenever he feels (or enters Jerry's consciousness) without being invited (or premeditated), yet Jerry (or his reason) abides him, allowing him to take anything from his fridge (or make use of his mental powers i.e even utilizing his reason to effect irrational ends) without reproach, enjoying his unpredictable presence more than any damage he (or it) may cause.

Elaine, Whom Jerry meets later on in life (perhaps referring to how one's feminine side is usually integrated after physical and mental maturation) becomes a good friend of Jerry's, though they don't marry; there is still some degree of separation between Jerry and Elaine, and that's how Jerry wants. They're friends - not lovers. This may reflect Seinfeld's own long-held attitude towards marriage. He got married late in life, but when the show was written, Elaine reflected an attitude in Jerry's personality.

Finally, there's the classic character of Neumann. A few things about this relationship.

- Jerry hates Neuman.
- Jerry's relationship with Neuman is mediated by Kramer (spontaneity) who gets along fine with him.
- Neuman is a mailman - which gives him a 'bureaucratic' meaning; he also seems to have 'connections' to people who have access to certain illegal things.

Neuman could then be interpreted as the 'system'. The concept of a system is seemingly the opposite of spontaneity, yet, Neuman and Kramer get along fine - they are best buddies, while Jerry, the conscious Ego, hates system, responsibilities, and propriety with a passion! Kramer embraces everything and everyone - rarely does Kramer not get along with anyone, and his closeness with Neuman may reflect the paradoxical association of opposites.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I came in not expecting much. My expectations were wrong. I think you may be right. I remember there being an episode where they are pitching a show, a show about nothing. I think that's what the actual show is, a show about nothing. A show within a show..

Nothing is everything.

I often think Life is like this anyway.
You guys are all characters of myself.
I know you're real, but do you know what I mean?

I think this is God's show. Instead of being called Seinfeld it's called Life.

I had more to say, but my brain isnt working to respond directly to the character analysis you posted

edit on 4/7/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Interesting topic. Im a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm so I wouldnt forget about the fact Larry David came up with alot of Jerrys material and the shows in general. Jerry is a famous comedian and is very funny but Larry was the real brains behind him and the show.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Interesting and thoughtful. It explains a lot.

Thanks for the read....

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Interesting thesis. I never thought of the show as a psychological profile.

I think Neuman would represent greed, manipulation and revenge. Dark sides of the psyche that reason (Jerry) despises. Neuman is also opportunism, which has a close relationship with impetuousness (Kramer).

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

That was a pretty good read, actually.

I'm not sure if this is fact or not, and honestly I could care one way or the other. I, however, find it interesting as an interpretation. It's actually a great metaphor for life, for our lives. Whether Jerry (or his produce) intended it to be this way or whether the Universe intended it to be this way for people like you to perceive it as so, is truly fascinating.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

And you think the writer's didn't think of this stuff?

Of course they did!

Now then, try to explain Seinfeld dating a 17 yr old?

Is that legal in California?

Seinfeld was in his late 30's.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Gods, put DOWN THE MEDS.

Get OUT of the house!

Get some AIR into that brain!

I'd sooner find oracles of divination in my ass hairs!!!!

Sometimes this place is truly a shut-in clearing house.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Haha Good read. Well done, pretty much how I always considered the show anyway.

One thing I'd differ with is the concept of Newman. I would consider him the Anti-Jerry. His extreme opposite. Both confident in themselves, yet Jerry, pedantically aware of his own image and self limiting, while Newman less interested in his self image and open to excess, yet both opposite sides of the same coin.

Straddled either side of Kramer, who as you say, offers that fine line where opposites can meet without premeditation.

Or we're all mad and it was really just a show about nothing..

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Star128

Soma, anyone?

:::???

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12

He was dating a 17 year old.

Pretty much explains it, even if it's creepy...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Interesting topic. Im a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm so I wouldnt forget about the fact Larry David came up with alot of Jerrys material and the shows in general. Jerry is a famous comedian and is very funny but Larry was the real brains behind him and the show.

They are co-creators of the show. George is loosely based on Larry David, actually. Many events in the series come from real shenanigans they two got into together. Also Kramer is based on a real guy (named Kenny Kramer) who was Jerry's next door neighbor, who now does Seinfeld tours in New York where he takes you around to all of the Seinfeld sights.

Elaine is based on a number of people, including a few elements from Carol Leifer, who was one of the main writers on the series. (A lot of her is really just from Julie Louis-Dreyfus herself, apparently -- she was on SNL at the time that Larry David was a writer on that show.)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Is that legal in California?

Seinfeld was in his late 30's.

Yes, it's legal. Actually, age of consent in most states is 16 or 17.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I simply wanted the OP to explain why Jerry dated a 17 yr old and how it relates to this comment he made in the OP-

Elaine, Whom Jerry meets later on in life (perhaps referring to how one's feminine side is usually integrated after physical and mental maturation) becomes a good friend of Jerry's, though they don't marry; there is still some degree of separation between Jerry and Elaine, and that's how Jerry wants. They're friends - not lovers. This may reflect Seinfeld's own long-held attitude towards marriage. He got married late in life, but when the show was written, Elaine reflected an attitude in Jerry's personality.

How does this apply?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

He dated the 17 year-old after the show was already on the air. Nothing about her is in the series or references characters.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4/8/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Wow! I came in like the first responder in the thread.. not expecting much more than a good laugh. That is a very interesting concept that I will have to remember when watching reruns of the show. Great thread! S&F for you.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Georges parents are very neurotic and tend to yell a lot.
Jerrrys parents are judgmental and quiet.
Perhaps each set of parents represents one of Jerrys real life parents.
Or perhaps Georges parents represent his relationship with his real life parents as a child.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Interesting post. I love certain shows, because to me it gives a lot of insight into psychology, often in a somewhat extreme/ridiculous fashion, although always making sense psychologically. This is an example of that type of show. Another is Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I'm well aware of these things.

Please don't use Wiki as a source!

I just fail to see how Jerry dating a 17 yr old, in real life, has to do with what you posted in your OP.

Where does this fit in with the point you're trying to make in the op?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I'm well aware of these things.

Please don't use Wiki as a source!

I just fail to see how Jerry dating a 17 yr old, in real life, has to do with what you posted in your OP.

Where does this fit in with the point you're trying to make in the op?

wtf are you talking about...you're the only one talking about this...is this a joke that I'm not understanding?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join