It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lead bullets under fire for causing lead posioning in eagles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So recently there has been alot of discussion about conspiracies to ban weapons and ammo from the general public I just came across this article talking about lead posioning in bald eagles. Now they don't say anything about banning ammo, just changing lead bullets to copper ones.

Environmental groups say 20 million birds die worldwide each year from eating bits of lead in animal carcasses, because many US hunters use lead ammunition which leaves 3,000 tons of toxic fragments in gut piles and unclaimed kills.

The dangers of lead have been well known for decades, and steps have been taken to prevent human consumption by removing it from paint, gasoline, pipes, children's jewelry and more.

A ban on hunters' use of lead shot for killing waterfowl was passed in the United States in the early 1990s because birds were being poisoned by ingesting the pieces that fell into waterways and ponds.

But the question of whether to do the same for hunters on land has thrust the eagle, the national symbol of America, into a fresh political battle over gun rights and environmental protection
On one side is the powerful US gun lobby, which disputes science on lead poisoning and insists that any measures to regulate lead ammunition would spell a ban on hunting in all its forms, infringe on gun rights and raise costs.

On the other is a dogged but weary wildlife protection movement that is pressing the Environmental Protection Agency to take steps to regulate the use of lead ammunition in order to protect birds and humans against lead poisoning

now it seems that this really is about protecting wildlife which I for one totally agree with lead can work it's way up the food chain harming all kinds of animals along the way the NRA however feels differently

The NRA has urged Congress to "step in and ensure this restriction never happens," asserting that the effort is being headed by "gun-grabbers... disguised as nature lovers."

A House subcommittee in late February approved a bill that would prevent the EPA from taking action on the CBD's petition, and some senators with ties to sportsmen's groups are considering the same.

Burwell, who has been treating her eagle for three weeks and is ready to release her into the wild on Saturday, said she is not optimistic that the EPA will act.

"With the NRA pushing to prevent any type of regulation, the word on the wildlife side is it will never happen," she said.

"It depends on who has the most money. Doesn't it seem sometimes that that is who wins these things?"

.lol that last part is my favorite because we all know it always comes down to money!! anyway I'm not sure theres much here I kinda feel like their making the NRA out to be bad guys. So maybe this is a way to start cutting back on the type of ammo we are able to get? I do kinda feel like their using th eagle as sort of a "look see their killing our national symbol with their dirty bullets!!" type deal I dunno your opinions?

whole story
edit on 7-4-2012 by RN311 because: added link

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
About 50 million die from pollution, habitat destruction, cars, windmills...all in the name of progress. Let's ban progress first, then work on bullets.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Dunno bout the egles my friend, but fasten your seat belt for another round of gun grabbing hate mania......
The pitch hasnt even got rolling yet....
And by the looks of it this next round will leave a lot of bodies in the streets.....
Maybe, just maybe, they plan on instigating a race war of some kind, after which theyll ban private gun ownership......thats my take on the whole thing......

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Calif has banned lead bullets in some areas for hunting.

then they turned around and banned some of the lead free bullets because they claimed they were armor pricing.(solid copper bullets)
edit on 7-4-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I always thought the lead part that was blasted out at high velocity with explosives and shredded their flesh and internal organs was the dangerous portion, never would have guessed there was residual danger.

top topics

join