It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...An American Couple Comes Into My Canadian Store... True Story

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Maybe they were just being nice?

"Hey, honey...it's one of them strange Canadians we heard so much about. Just nod and be agreeable and everything will be OK...no sudden movements."

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aaronez

Um, just a heads up. 87,897,000 Americans are now not in the labor force. Read that as not looking for jobs/not collecting unemployment/not giving a damn anymore.

Another record broken.

ETA; forgot the source
www.breitbart.com...
edit on 7-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Maybe they were just being nice?

"Hey, honey...it's one of them strange Canadians we heard so much about. Just nod and be agreeable and everything will be OK...no sudden movements."

Yup, we shoot first and ask questions later.
Only this time I decided to ask the questions first and didn't have the heart to shoot after that.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by PvtHudson

whether they are open minded or just RAH-RAH GO AMERICA type folks.

So being "open minded" means having your points of view and being anti-American?

edit on 7-4-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

My point of view? Anti-American? Had to re-read the OP again to locate those statements or even sentiments. Nope, not there.

My guess is that you know what is meant in the OP but you choose not to acknowledge because ya got yer fightin' pants on.

BTW, many people here might just be Anti America...not Anti-American. And most are Pro-People.

Peace anyways.

edit on 7-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

When I speak, if I am speaking about the government I say US, if I am speaking of the people I say American.... it is always a good way to differentiate between government policy and American people, because the two are not necessarily synonymous.

I make the differentiation automatically and without thinking because there is a difference, and it strikes me when those replying to someone who is against a policy of the US government, infer that person is Anti-American, as if to be against government policy is in any way to be against American people.

To me this is deliberate on their part, attempting to obtain a psychological advantage with the reader/listener, rather than debating a point or admitting US policy is utterly evil in many cases.

People overseas use America to denote government but it appears too easily interpreted as American, so I adapted US for the government, it seems to make it clear.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

From what I see (granted I might not see a lot) most people are still quite happy with government and government policy, probably 75% overall, although many are very unhappy with Obama being in office I see that unhappiness with government going away if a republican gets in office this election.

Other than that the country people are stocking up (heavily arming) for a just in case scenario, but this is nothing new as this has always been the case. I believe the only way the American people would even consider rising up would be if Obama got into office again, then the just in case scenario might become something in reality.

Although even then I do not believe it would be immediate, or just because he was reelected, it would take a policy they really do not like for that to happen, like starting to round people up or something. American people are not as unhappy as you might imagine.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Ok here one for you
I operate a small tourist fishing & Hunting lodge.
Now there a old tourist camp about 20 km from me own by American a few
doctor, lawyer, dentist 6 to 8 of them. That place as turn into something different
I do a lot of hunting been there a hundred of time before even help out evacuate the
first American owner older people when we had that big forest fire few year back.
Now you can even get close to the entrance gate with-out somebody meeting you there.
Here a other coincident any body remember the Menendez Brother
www.people.com...
There grand parent own the lodge before. And to think my kid play with those two ??

Just my Nickel Worth
Remember we drop using penny here

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I wrote a thread awhile back asking if Americans would run to Canada in a SHTF scenario and if Canadians would welcome them. I never thought I'd meet it face to face th

In the North West we have our own places to run to.. thousands of square miles of wilderness, from rainforest to desert.

In a SHTF scenario a bunch of city slickers running into the Canadian wilderness would mean a horrible winter where most would die of exposure to the elements.

So I guess it depends on what we're running from. Personally I can't think of many reasons Americans would run anywhere, let alone a foreign country. We are raised to believe foreigners (especially canadians) talk funny, dress funny, and eat babies for breakfast. I'd take my chances with the coming zombie apocalypse than baby eating Canadians.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela

From what I see (granted I might not see a lot) most people are still quite happy with government and government policy, probably 75% overall, although many are very unhappy with Obama being in office I see that unhappiness with government going away if a republican gets in office this election.

Other than that the country people are stocking up (heavily arming) for a just in case scenario, but this is nothing new as this has always been the case. I believe the only way the American people would even consider rising up would be if Obama got into office again, then the just in case scenario might become something in reality.

Although even then I do not believe it would be immediate, or just because he was reelected, it would take a policy they really do not like for that to happen, like starting to round people up or something. American people are not as unhappy as you might imagine.

And there it is. Many Americans love their Country and rightly so. It's just what Obama has done over the last few years (and the bush clan before that) that has made many people ready to run for the hills.

The problem is that if Obama is not voted in legally, he will gain it illegally...somehow, I think we know this and many others here as well.

When he does get in again, he's going to turn up the heat to 11 and people are going to stop being Mr. Nice Guy.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Another way of looking at is: 63% of Americans at "working age" are "participating" in the "labor market".

Since that's the Governments own number, we can assume 37% of people who can work are not working. And since 8.2% are unemployed that means an astounding 29% of our population simply "doesn't want to work".

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

reply to post by aaronez

Um, just a heads up. 87,897,000 Americans are now not in the labor force. Read that as not looking for jobs/not collecting unemployment/not giving a damn anymore.

Another record broken.

ETA; forgot the source
www.breitbart.com...

Still like most American but I sure hope those don’t all come on up all at once
Just my Nickel Worth
Remember we drop using penny here

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

And there it is. Many Americans love their Country and rightly so. It's just what Obama has done over the last few years (and the bush clan before that) that has made many people ready to run for the hills.

The problem is that if Obama is not voted in legally, he will gain it illegally...somehow, I think we know this and many others here as well.

When he does get in again, he's going to turn up the heat to 11 and people are going to stop being Mr. Nice Guy.

Peace

To be honest I do not think this will be the case, the American people are fickle with their government, they will need a break from rights being taken away excessively..

I believe Obama did exactly what they wanted him to, and that his time is up in the White House. They will put in someone different next term, stopping the trend (of taking away rights) for a year or so, just to give the American people a sense of happiness and sense of security again with government.

The people need to feel they can trust the government before the government can/will implement the next phase, otherwise you will see a revolt and I think the US knows that. Obama cannot give the people that.

In the next phase, after some measure of break, the government will create an event that necessitates a further loss of rights and going to war.

This is my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Beautiful OP.

Beautiful.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Very good first hand account of what is going on here between two friendly countries, I do believe the time is ripe for some serious evacuations and if that is not possible, perhaps some confrontations then.

I just read this today in the news and I thought here we go......Link below
news.yahoo.com...

I too live here in Canada and we have offered our home to many foreigners here in times of trouble, I can't remember the threads now but we did indeed offer shelter free of charge to any neighbours in trouble.

That offer still stands and we live in Ontario here not far from Detroit.
Great thread and S&F from us here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have to say this thread and some of these posts impress me very much about Canada, and Canadian people.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Your deluded if you think its only because of Obama, their are plenty of his cohorts that need to leave too.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

Your deluded if you think its only because of Obama, their are plenty of his cohorts that need to leave too.

When Obama goes his minions will be replaced with new minions

As to the rest the American people are still happy, they are not bothered too much about what is going on, their main concern is that America cannot afford another war, but if they thought the money was there or there was a serious need to go to war they would support it.

The large majority believes everything MSM shoves down their throat

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I have to say this thread and some of these posts impress me very much about Canada, and Canadian people.

We're not all worthy of you being impressed.

Just me and that other guy...over there....oh, and her as well. Yup, definitely her.

Thanks for your kind words!

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

reply to post by aaronez

Another record broken.

ETA; forgot the source
www.breitbart.com...

That is one heck of a lot of people out of work, seriously I am shocked at that number and I make a habit of following the news here.
No MSM though so I suppose their numbers would be much much smaller.
Great post.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

whether they are open minded or just RAH-RAH GO AMERICA type folks.

So being "open minded" means having your points of view and being anti-American?

edit on 7-4-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

Being open minded means being willing to look at something objectively and from as many angles as possible besides the obtuse one. Being open minded requires skill in critical thought instead of relying upon ones own conformation bias.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well first off thank you for welcoming my fellow peeps into your land of maple. Second, your food does sound good.

I have a little cafe in Europe and love to greet new comers as much as possible. I find that politics is a subject I can't talk about with the local people since they are very set in their mentality and are very polarized by their past experiences. I have actually lost some customers by engaging in those conversations without gauging their positions correctly or not caring enough to do so.

I agree that with Americans as well as Canadians it is a 50/50 situation. They can be gun ho extremists in either direction, left or right. The best conversation comes from those that are in the middle with an open mind and still a finite sense of the world as they see it. I think more and more people are falling into the middle since either extreme is unhealthy and just exhausting from what I can tell.

I am glad to hear that I can count on Canada as well as Mexico if I ever need to leave the states forever. I am currently in NY and was actually thinking of taking a drive up north if time allows it. Any recommendations that don't fall into the typical tourist hot spots? If anything for future reference as I am running out of time here and still need to catch up with a lot of my hommies.

Any hoot, nice story. I wish I had more customers like that. Awesome.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join