It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick survey..let's see which way your mind goes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The best use for Brazilian Rosewood is ( a) fret boards on a guitar neck or )b)
Handles on a good quality folding knife?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I don't know about "best", but it is most commonly used for guitars. Isn't it illegal now though?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Don't know about illegal but Buck puts it on the Standard Folder

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullypulpit

I would guess b.
Because rosewood is good to keep out moisture. Folding knife handles shouldn't warp and knives are more important in survival than music?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Lemme guess. If I say guitar I'm a normal well functioning citizen, But If I say knife I'm a dangerous extremest right?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm a musician , so I'm going with A

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have the guitar, and the knife...so both for me.

But, the politically correct answer would be neither.....leave it on the tree.....

Des

edit on 7-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Neither. Brazilian rosewood is endangered and illegal. Indian rosewood is used instead.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Neither. Brazilian rosewood is endangered and illegal. Indian rosewood is used instead.

Ahhhh...but, my guitar and knife are both over 30 years old....

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Ahhhh...but, my guitar and knife are both over 30 years old....

Built before the ban. I'd say guitar - since I play. I am more of a utilitarian when it comes to knives. They don't have to be pretty - they just have to work well.

A few of my blades. No rosewood anywhere:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

"It's OK everyone, she's been endangering Brazilian Rosewoord for years....."

edit on 7/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullypulpit

guitar neck

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You can tell a lot about a man by the blades he uses

I'd have to go C
Leave it on the tree
I don't play guitar, and must admit not a fan of wooden handled blades either

Sorry to be as much use to this thread as poo flavoured toothpaste but meh

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I don't know about "best", but it is most commonly used for guitars. Isn't it illegal now though?

As far as i know it's illegal to sell and buy and use brazilian rosewood since 1992.
Sadly because brazilian rosewood not only has a nicer grain but it gives a slightly brighter sound then indian rosewood. I had the chance to play a vintage 60's Strat and compared it to my new Strat with indian rosewood, there was slight difference in sound and also the handling, it somehow felt better (but that depends, some people say guitars with brazilian rosewood are too "oily")

On the survey i go for the guitar. On a knife, the blade is more important than the handle.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Destinyone

"It's OK everyone, she's been endangering Brazilian Rosewoord for years....."

edit on 7/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

I had to give you a star for that....payback gonna be hell ya know....

Des

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

I don't want wood on my knives - better to have high quality plastics and steel imo.

Brazil needs to do a better job managing it's forests and deforestation problems.
edit on 7-4-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Isn't the thing about Rosewood is that it doesn't become slippery when wet? So both items require it.

When I was younger, I had a pair of Octagon swivel nunchaku made from the stuff. Hard and nonslip in a sweat.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Good answers all but it kinda got off track with the illegal angle.While in the Army circa 1971 I had an hours long(military downtime boredom) discussion with a bud,a guitar playing[real]hippie from the Bay Area about my people wasting his people's Brazilan Rosewood for knife handles....we had fun arguing the point...yes it's hard,doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't get slippery .... I was just wondering if there were stil people out there to have those kind of discussions with still...thanks all
edit on 7-4-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Sp

edit on 7-4-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Sp2

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Good answers all but it kinda got off track with the illegal angle.While in the Army circa 1971 I had an hours long(military downtime boredom) discussion with a bud,a guitar playing[real]hippie from the Bay Area about my people wasting his people's Brazilan Rosewood for knife handles....we had fun arguing the point...yes it's hard,doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't get slippery .... I was just wondering if there were stil people out there to have those kind of discussions with still...thanks all
edit on 7-4-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Sp

edit on 7-4-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Sp2

I've owned a couple Taylor Guitars, and still receive their quarterly publication called Wood & Steel. They often run stories about where/how they source their wood and all the ways they strive to be environmentally-conscious in the process. They go into great detail sometimes about why the use certain tonewoods and their properties, and the history of guitar making. It's always a good read. You can pick up a copy at your local high-end music store. They usually have a stack where they keep the acoustics.

I just checked, and you can download it, too: Wood & Steel

edit on 8-4-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

top topics

join