It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life is pointless

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by morpheusxxz

Knowing mortality sucks but know this, your not alone.
No one gets out of here alive.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Those who think this life is meaningless have never known true love.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
If you want to do something fun.. Use my emergency laughter plan.

Walk into a Walmart, go to the gun counter and look really depressed. Then ask them how much just ONE bullet is.

Hell you don't even have to actually do it. Thinking about it usually brightens my day.

You made me bust out laughing, but you bring up a great point. You enjoy your thoughts, more precisely, you enjoy YOU. I love my alone time. I love being with me. I love my thoughts, my curiosities, and the funny things my mind comes up with. If we forget to enjoy ourselves, then why in the hell would anyone else want to be around us?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

You are defeating yourself before you even take a chance.
I'm guessing that you are a teenager. It's just a phase.

Why a teenager? In my thirties I used to get so depressed that I would shake all over. It takes years of accumulating knowledge to come to the conclusion that this life really IS meaningless. There is no point to it. We do not have a purpose. It's all pretend. But, once we accept this, and once we accept the inevitableness of our death, then we can say, Screw it, I'm going to enjoy the time I have.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

My friend, I have been in your shoes before. And I can tell you the answer will not be found through intellectual means.

There absolutely is meaning to life. Purpose which transcends understanding and even our current state of existence.

There is internal Peace and Joy to be had.

If you would like to know what I have found, feel free to message me.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The world is absurd, it is the logical contradictions present in our world that made me realize it. It seems that only in the abstract and in certain sciences that logical consistency is possible, but otherwise, the world is contradictory.

In some respects the entire purpose of the "Above Top Secret" Forum was to reveal contradictions present in certain areas of our reality, and to possibly answer or explain the contradictions. We wish to reveal the underlying mechanisms and events that could clarify and give meaning to otherwise potentially contradictory and meaningless events. The problem is that certain areas of reality, cannot be made consistent (through political, corporate, and military power), even though there is strong evidence that it could be, and once we become aware of it, it causes great anxiety and frustration.

If we analyze the contradictions too closely, it renders certain areas of our economy meaningless and unnecessary, hence it is a great danger to those with vested interests. So like the absurdists we must either press on with the desire to make everything consistent or simply accept it and forget that we were aware of it by distracting ourselves with our personal lives.

Here is a little reading on the Absurdists:

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-4-2012 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by manfather
The 2 biggest sources of bull# illusions in this world are anything related to the military and the church.

Thank you! I'm too tired now to go after such lunacy.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Your life might be pointless... Mine however isn't!

You are looking at life wrong and through the eyes of someone brought up in a western and indoctrinated culture! To get out of it, detach yourself from this frame of mind and peer in with a new perspective. Imagine how an indigenous person would feel when looking into our world...

Life isn't about having meaning, we have given it meaning because we are afraid! Afraid of the entropy!

"Humanity has created a coping mechanism and delusion of reality because we like most organisms are insignificant within the universe. So to escape this realization Civilization has created a micro system within an already functioning system (Ecosystem). This micro system allows individuals to create purpose and order out of natural entropy. This purpose however creates a hierarchy of problems due to the systems fabrication of survival." - Ryan Lloyd

Do yourself a favor and look at nature, from there you can see how we as a species are affecting it, we hold no meaning in the universe but we have the ability to preserve its systems!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Well, I'm sorry your life is pointless.

You need to make your life have some meaning.

For when you utter that last breath, you need to know within your heart that because you existed, someone, anyone, something came out better having had you.

For this moment in time, various dogs were rescued from ending up in garbage bags in a landfill.

(About 4 more dogs and 3 more cats not pictured).

A lot of homeless people got a warm meal, blankets, a kind encouraging word and two a job lead that led to jobs.

My grand daughter who had the poop luck to be born to a woman that now doesn't want her knows that she is loved and cherished by us and because of us, my husband and I, the Paternal Grandparents she knows that at least someone is tickled she came into existence and will care for her every need when her mother decides to completely call it quits.

Because of us donating to Habitats for Humanity, the ASPCA, and various other "charity work" I feel that my life has meant something.

Feel like your life is pointless.

Start thinking of how you can be the change you want to see in the world.

Start with random acts of kindness.

Next time you buy a Egg McMuffin and coffee, buy two or three and hand them out to the next homeless person you see.

Join the Peace Corps, volunteer at a humane society or simply pick up some garbage on the side of the road.

Your life is as meaningful as you make it.

I usually find that when I am down, really down - if i go out and do something for someone else, with no expectation of payback - I feel like my life at least has meant something.

Hold that elevator door open for that slow walker.

Smile at someone that seems crabby or down.

Tell the person that gets off on the floor below you, "Have a good day"

A simple random act of kindness can mean so much.

If you have the money, contribute to a charity.

Bring some cans of beans and bags of rice and beans to a food pantry.

We are all here for a reason.

You have yet to find out yours.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, yes I'm sure you've had it rough and deserve a hug.

Many people that are service to self, that only live for them self feel life is pointless.

Go out tomorrow and do something nice for somebody.

Safe journey and know that when you take that last breath and your real inness, some call your soul shucks off this mortal shell, you will live on for we are eternal beings.
edit on 8-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
From someone who has been there, and recently succeeded in making it to the other side, I say to you: Hold on. YOUR life is worth the ride. On some level, you must realize this...otherwise, why this post? The answer to your question...no one but you can provide a satisfactory one. For some, it is to experience the force of love, pure and simple, and for others it is something more complex and/or less palatable, like suffering, etc. But whatever it turns out to be, it'll have to be born of your own experience and understanding to hold value. By questioning you are at least a step closer to that which you seek.

To combat disillusionment, try observing without judgement. Yeah, this requires overriding instinct and therefore a great load of effort. However,it may be worth a try or two.

We are all on different paths, yet, united. As we are all fumbling around in the dark, trying to find our way. At the right moment, we come across interesting company and/or helpful strangers who warn us of the potholes, roadbumps, and whatever other unfortunate realities we inevitably will encounter along the way...just know that you dont have to travel alone.

Take care of yourself.

...And...

Peace and love to you

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I have read your post, and I feel the same way as you. I have a job, used to go to school but couldn't afford it anymore. I want to go back, but the funding is not there. I have student loans already gunning at me. Everything around me just seems so fake. From the smiles from the friends that I used to have, to the ideal that everyone needs to get a job and settle down and spend their money, that they spend so much of their life on.

It seems to me that there is way more to life than this. I'm not sure what we can do, but I believe after this many years of humans, that the hierarchical society we live in is not the best way to live.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Trappenin

but I believe after this many years of humans, that the hierarchical society we live in is not the best way to live.

Yep you are absolutely right and when enough of us WTFU and change the way things currently are - the world will be a better place.

We're running a race though.

Will enough of us wake up and do something to change "business as usual" or will we destroy ourselves through allowing the few to control the many by their greed, lust and manipulation?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Life has no purpose, and therein lies its beauty. You are free to assign yourself a purpose; you may choose to destroy, you may choose to create, or you may choose to stagnate. In sitting and playing video games you have chosen to stagnate. You do not seem to like stagnation, therefore you must try creation or destruction.

Your intelligence gives you the ability to direct the flow of energy throughout the universe. Direct it in a way that pleases you.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by morpheusxxz
For past few months, I have lost interest in everything. Every damn thing seems so pointless. Everyone just run around trying to keep themselves involved with illusions to escape reality. There are many threads on this topic all over the web and I read many, but still I am yet to be satisfied with an answer. My existence does not make any difference in this world. So my death too won't make any. We, the product evolution just simply exist. And if we look at the most basic level, we are nothing but a mass of many atoms stacked one upon another held together by a force. Therefore upon my death all my atoms will rearrange and go back within earth.

You may say that I am going through depression but perhaps it maybe that I am loosing my ability to keep myself occupied with illusions. Yes, I still have been trying to just survive and spend my days occupied with video games the whole day. For couple of weeks, it worked but again today I was haunted by the same question. I have cut connection with all my friends and I rarely meet anyone as every single one of them just talk about money/career/other illusions. Three months ago I closed down my business as money no longer interests me. Heck, I don't even like to eat and sleep anymore.

Many say that life is very precious and one should live a healthy life but still what is the point of this survival? Many say that it is actually the lack of love because of which I think like this but love is a very strong illusion and I cannot willingly give myself into it. Many say that life is what we make of it but even if I get myself busy with something, I will start pondering on the very same thing after a few days. I doubt that anyone will have the answer but still I want to hear your views on this.

heyyyy, welcome to the club. they like to call this depression but i think a better suited term for how we feel is called 'reality'.

there really is no point and i know exactly what youre saying and how you feel. the only reason i even carry on doing anything anymore is because of the people that love me. sadly, i can't really return the feelings they give me because it is all so fake and i just don't care. its just life. but there must still be a hint of a rational mind inside of me because i still have a fear of death and so, i choose to stay right where i am and for some reason try to endure living.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
1. To the OP, thank you for your honesty!
2. I think that you have had an experience of clarity, that not many obtain. Life is suffering as the Buddha said.
3. I believe personally that much has to with duality - with our hybrid species being part animal and part god, or at least a highly advanced species. No wonder you are confused.
4. I don't like those posters yelling at you to get happy.
5. I believe that you should do the best you can to lead a good life, I sincerely believe a change is almost upon us that will help us immeasurably. Stick in there, don't be hard on yourself.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'd say go to war but the odds of getting a honorable death via combat aren't very high anymore
all else fails might as well try Suicide from your post you seem to not have religious preference

or as previous people try drugs, if ya can't find a reason to live addiction sure will win, that or you'll ego death and back to square one, ha ha, no seriously though, your going to have to find that reason to live yourself no one can tell ya an answer know one has, Either create or destroy, no other options you'll find joy in either or maybe both
edit on 8-4-2012 by Jubosh because: typo

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
No worries op.

Evem Gandhi came to this very same conclusion:

Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Getting to this point is the first step in finding enlightenment.
Congratulations.
You've got nothing to lose right? So why not try and see if what the Buddha found was true or not.
The key thing that he taught was to work out your own enlightenment. He had some stuff that worked for him, and he simply said, try this, see if it works. People tried, it did, and continues to. It's not the only way, there's others, but they do tend to have something in common.
All you do is learn to look at reality, really really closely. This helps you get over your expectations of it that stop you actually seeing it. But first you have to see what they are. You just watch.
Techniques vary.

You can start with Daniel Ingram's book, Mastering The Core Teachings Of The Buddha.
It's available here as a blog as well;
web.mac.com...

Or if that's not your flavour, try Jed Mckenna's Spiritual Enlightenment trilogy.
It's fun.
And brutal.
And great if you're in a 'f# everything' phase.

The issue you should also be investigating, is how the designation of 'meaninglessness' implies that you think there is supposed to be meaning in the first place.
Stuff just is what it is. It's the human brain that needs to tell stories about that stuff, and we like our narratives to make some sense. So you can either become better at telling yourself stories about reality, or find someone who is better at it than you are and whose stories appeal to you.
Or you can just look at reality itself and stop the storytelling altogether.
And while technically it will still be meaningless, the idea of life having or not having meaning will itself come to be meaningless and irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

im sorry OP

..it may sound weird - but there is a distinct possibility that you were *deliberately* being stopped in your tracks.

to get you to reevaluate
ponder
....to show you the big theatre this world is
and get you to realize, you need the world what is behind/above this visable one

please read
new thread 'scarey dream, just now '
that is your answer

bless

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I'm not sure how long the thread has gotten...I'm replying to the front page OP. So to the OP I'd say, I believe these are all aspects of the 'Quickening' or 'Ascension' or whatever people are wanting to call this change we're all feeling these past months....and much longer for some.

I've felt varying degrees of the very same. Like the color..kinda drained from things in terms of depth of feeling engaged. I've listened to not one...but several others in my life say the same or similar things unbiden.

I've come to my own personal conclusion that this is a stage in the transition, at least for some, as the old becomes unimportant before the new and wider horizons just starting to open bring what will next become important in it's place. I can't help but feeling this just rings true. Time will tell..

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join