It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Delegates: Romney is the nominee

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - It's over, and Mitt Romney is going to be the GOP nominee for president.

www.newsday.com...

This is what the super delegates are saying as they look ahead to the National Convention in Tampa Florida this coming June. This is also why rumors are swirling around who Romney will pick as his VP. Paul Ryan has been hanging out with the Romney camp all too much just to be a fun bystander. Marco Rubio of course, is at the top of anybody's list, but he has reiterated that he is not interested and is quite happy with his job as of now. That doesn't mean, that he won't do it if asked by Romney.
edit on 7-4-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
good for you, you must be thrilled

after all those ron paul hate threads ive seen you in, this must be a win for you.
hope you're happy with romney.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
For those that like graphs and stats, here's a good place to keep track:

elections.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

after all those ron paul hate threads ive seen you in, this must be a win for you.

Actually I am. The base can finally stop being divided, 10% of RP supporters who get out and vote will write in RP's name. But for the most part the republicans will coalesce around Romney. The dems will stop saying that the republicans are broken and beyond repair. And I can look forward to the race between Romney and Obama. I think you will be pleasantly surprised about how conservative Romney will be once he goes full throttle on Obama.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

This is just the same of the usual propaganda. He got 35 of the super delegates, so what, he needs some 1140 delegates to win. Of course his supporters will say this, trying to detract from the other candidates. It ain´t over until the convention anyway, and no one know how the delegates will actually vote, especially all the unpledged, which seems to be a majority.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Are ANY of the GOP establishment happy with Romney as a candidate?

It seems to me that they've settled, rather than having a duke it out fight to the finish. From what I've read, GOP establishment have pretty much resigned themselves to accepting that if Romney is the candidate, they will lose in November.

Oh well, I guess there's always 2016. It's always been a mystery to me why Condi Rice wasn't put forward as a candidate. She's sane, experienced, and won't pander to the extreme right wing of the party. She's also a former high ranking diplomat who knows how to negotiate with the toughest people out there, so likely would be able to bring all the parties together.

Maybe we'll see a Condi / Hillary battle in 2016? Two women, both former Sec States, both highly experienced in Government and both household names. Would be an interesting battle.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

Originally posted by jazzguy

Actually I am. The base can finally stop being divided, 10% of RP supporters who get out and vote will write in RP's name. But for the most part the republicans will coalesce around Romney. The dems will stop saying that the republicans are broken and beyond repair. And I can look forward to the race between Romney and Obama. I think you will be pleasantly surprised about how conservative Romney will be once he goes full throttle on Obama.

The "base" of this country, that is the American public, will continue to be divided by a false left/right dichotomy until they wake the hell up and start voting with their conscience instead of along the party lines. Obama and Romney have the same corporate backers, yet you really believe there is any difference? I don't. That's why neither will ever get my vote.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Our two best options are Obama and Romney.

No wonder the destruction of this nation continues.

The GOPs only job was to help Obama stay in office to push forward the shadow governments agenda of controlling the global stage.

There is nothing honest about the fairy tales of democracy and capitalism.

The haves versus the have nots cycles eternally.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Erowynn

I agree with you. As much as I agree with Ron Paul's stances upon things, I believe that it's time for a new party to take the reigns. America needs a motivated, well organized movement to take control away from the two reigning super parties that have gotten us in the mess we're in today. We need three, four, five, or even more parties to choose from. Parties made up from the people who aren't career politicians. People who refuse to be bought and sold by corporations or lobbyists. Wr will never be able to take our country back until we figure out that this current two party monopoly is just plain wrong and destructive, and was not what our forefathers wanted the idea of a free society to be. End fascism, monarchical, banker control. Just my two coppers.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Erowynn

So if someone chooses Romney because they like him, and you cannot fathom a reason why they would like him, then they are brainwashed and needs to wake up? You are not helping the political division here by calling your opponents brainwashed. it's very weak. Come up with something better and more concrete next time and maybe you'll do better

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Are ANY of the GOP establishment happy with Romney as a candidate?

It seems to me that they've settled, rather than having a duke it out fight to the finish. From what I've read, GOP establishment have pretty much resigned themselves to accepting that if Romney is the candidate, they will lose in November.

Yup quite a few people are happy and satisfied with Romney. Romney has won the battle weather you like it or not and prolonging this battle for much longer will only damage the GOP more. Now, Romney and Obama can focus on attacking each other until November.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Based off of the numbers I'm seeing, a couple score super delegates aren't going to win the nomination for Romney, as he still has only a few majority wins, and only a few that break past a few tenths of the 50% line. He doesn't have the support to win the nomination, none of the candidates really have it, according to the results of the primaries and caucus votes. We know anyways that Paul is making the caucus votes null with his caucus state strategy, so we can now know that Romney has even fewer delegates than one would guess based off of the popular votes. None of these things can one use to predict a Romney choosing one-round vote at the convention.

This nomination process is going all the way to the convention. As already mentioned, anyone saying other is just blowing around propaganda.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkinin

This nomination process is going all the way to the convention. As already mentioned, anyone saying other is just blowing around propaganda.

And you aren't doing this same thing? really it's quite laughable to think anyone else even Santorum has a shot at this. I love the double standard of Paulites.
edit on 7-4-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The GOP may coalesce around Romney but I hardly doubt they're going to go out and vote for him en masse.

And forget about independents like myself.

When I see Romney all I see is a flip-flopping-tell-you-what-you-wanna-hear politician.

Hardly a person I feel motivated to vote for, so I'll be writing this one in come 2012.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yes, can't you feel it? There is just so much roaring enthusiasm for Romney how could it go any other way? He truly is the people's choice. President Romney is a sure thing.[/sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Yes, can't you feel it? There is just so much roaring enthusiasm for Romney how could it go any other way? He truly is the people's choice. President Romney is a sure thing.[/sarcasm]

He only needs 500 more delegates and with 2 probably shoe-ins in NY and Cali that's 170 just there. Going out on a limb here and predicting he gets the 40 delegates from Utah as well.
That's about half of what he needs in just 3 remaining states. It looks like a slam dunk to me, just by going off of the numbers.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

It looks like a slam dunk to me, just by going off of the numbers.

Just going off the numbers it looks like he's probably got it. Of course your link tells you most of those delegate totals are estimates based on the vote. Much of that is undecided yet and still a good chance for brokered convention. We'll know for sure in a few months.

I just love how excited the people get over Romney. Gives you goosepimples just thinking about it.

edit on 7-4-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

He only needs 500 more delegates and with 2 probably shoe-ins in NY and Cali that's 170 just there. Going out on a limb here and predicting he gets the 40 delegates from Utah as well.
That's about half of what he needs in just 3 remaining states. It looks like a slam dunk to me, just by going off of the numbers.

Actually he needs more than 500, since most of the delegates assumed to be his are actually not official yet. In that number is included delegates from iowa, new hampshire, maine etc, where we already know he won the elections but Ron Paul actually got most of the delegates, so those "assumptions" on his delegate count is clearly false. Furthermore, don´t forget the Ron Paul strategy, he got the most deleates from several states where he actually lost by a fair margin... as has been demonstrated in several threads here on ATS previously. Add to this the delegates that have since changed their mind, they might have been a Romney delegate awhile ago, but are now aiming to vote for Ron Paul since they actually have done some research on the candidates after the primaries/caucuses...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

You might be happy with Romney as the nominee, and if you are then more power to you.

But I can't really believe you are happy that he won the nomination when he didn't. I can't believe you are happy with super delegates proclaiming anything when the electoral process isn't over. I really can't believe you'd be happy with the idea in your head that continuing a contest for the sole purpose of seeing who a large population of Americans would like to see in the running for president of the United States, is damaging to the Republican Party.

I'm quite unhappy that the Republican Party is so hellbent on removing the current president that they seemingly could care less about the fledgling integrity of the electoral process and finding who's the best man for the job, but instead want the contest to end now so that this guy who has (a projected) just over half of the required number of delegates to be considered the Republican nominee, doesn't have to keep trying to convince the American people that he's the man for the job. Because it's been decided. Prematurely.

But whatever. I'm happy you're happy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join