It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammo shortage hitting local stores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I have read in the past that shortage of ammo is due to different reasons but the shortage does not last to much, recently in this past 2 months, I have been "prepping" ammo but I have been unable to find more than 2 boxes of 9mm at a time. My local Walmart ammo shelf's are almost empty, 9mm .45 is no where to be found, not even expensive SD ammo, .22lr Bricks NONE, .22LR CCI no more than 4 boxes, I bought the last 4.

This past weekend in the Orlando gun show I heard some re-sellers saying we are having difficulty getting new stock on certain calibers. 9mm, 40S&W , they were almost gone in all the tables.

I wonder if the government has something to do with it or its just production problems or preppers going wild?

Yesterday I went to Walmart and there was only 1 box of 50 round of 9mm and (2) CCI .22lr I asked the employee if they were going to receive more ammo soon and he told me that the ammo is delivered every week, but they have been having trouble getting ammo from the suppliers.

I just wanted to see how many of you have experienced this in you local stores.

I'm going ammo hunting today in my local Walmarts in the area and get all the ammo I can find, a pretty gun without ammo doesn't do much.
edit on 7-4-2012 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2012 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If your not afraid to shop online then I suggest going here. They seem to have the best prices. Also their delivery time is excellent. Stuff ussually arrives before the expected date.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't by any Ammo from wally world...
but that's just me...

seems there is no shortage 9mm Ammo or .45 acp

and you can always reload...
good luck & all the best

Dammit USMC0311
beat me too it

edit on 4/7/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

I love that site. I can't find ammo or gear more cheap anywhere but gun shows and those are hit or miss. I just wish they would carry more archery gear.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Wal-Mart is a last resort place for ammo. I purchase all of my ammo in bulk now just because local shops have little on the shelf and the prices are usually high. Start here they have some of the best prices online, and there are more places you just have to look. Good luck in your preps.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I found this post on a local gun forum

"Ammo being held by govt??
Need verification. Yesterday I was at a local gun shop and the owner told us that his distributor was told to halt all civilian sales of certain ammo calibers. .223 .45 9mm Not trying to whip up a conspiracy just need verification."

It might be government related?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Wal-Mart is a last resort place for ammo. I purchase all of my ammo in bulk now just because local shops have little on the shelf and the prices are usually high. Start here they have some of the best prices online, and there are more places you just have to look. Good luck in your preps.

I have been buying all my .22LR CCI ammo and Federal/Winchester 50 rounds 9mm boxes there for months now, not a single problem with the ammo and very cheap compared other local stores and online prices.

100 rounds CCI .22LR = $6.97 + tax
50 rounds FEDERAL 9mm = $11.97 + tax
100 rounds WINCHESTER 9mm = $21.97 + tax

Those prices are not bad and the ammo works perfectly, I have bought more than 4000 cci and over 1000 9mm in the past months without any problem on the ammo.

All of their .22LR bricks suck, to many FTF etc. but good ammo for plinking.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
I found this post on a local gun forum

"Ammo being held by govt??
Need verification. Yesterday I was at a local gun shop and the owner told us that his distributor was told to halt all civilian sales of certain ammo calibers. .223 .45 9mm Not trying to whip up a conspiracy just need verification."

It might be government related?

I'm not going to say it is out of the realm of possibilities, but it seems unlikely at this point. There are only certain rounds the government would be interested in anyhow. The government for example would have no use for .223 hollow point ammunition simply because it is against the Geneva convention. They would target ball ammunition that was loaded to NATO specs, not just any old ammo. I am thinking this is just someone talking out of their hat at this point.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

I find Fiocchi 22lr ammo to be great myself. It's roughly the same price as others. The last 500 rd brick I shot I only had 2 malfunctions ammo related. I prefer copper jacketed rounds myself

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It may just be your Walmart. The closest one to me rarely (if ever) has 7.62X39, but a 30 minute trip and another
Walmart will have more than I can carry. The closest sporting goods store stopped carrying it altogether.

Same story with the boxes for the Judge, the half .410/ half .45 colt.
If it's always a problem with 9mm and the .22LR, Cheaper Than Dirt (as has been pointed out already), Natchez,
and Sportsman's Guide are all good.

At one of the small gun shops in town here, I heard that Ruger has stopped taking new orders.
I don't know, and didn't have time, to ask what "new orders" meant.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
If you are just now trying to stock up you are too far behind the curve...the shortage ,although manufactured,is real

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
If you are just now trying to stock up you are too far behind the curve...the shortage ,although manufactured,is real

I do have around 2000 rounds of CCI 22's and about 800 rounds of 9mm, that I was planning to shoot at the range in this coming weeks but I will not now. I will stock more ammo before using it for fun at the range.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I haven't bought lately my partner and I have enough 7.62 and probably couple of thousand 9mm 22 I'm down to a brick or two but haven't looked in a probably 6 months

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I live in NJ and there are apparently ammo shortages here but they don't seem to be effecting me even though i compete in shooting and go shooting every weekend. I go to cabelas is hamburg every couple months and they seem to be having some ammo shortages. Last time i went there was no 22 bricks.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I havent been to the sporting goods store in a couple of weeks but the last time I was there they seemed perty well stocked so it may just be your area.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
you can try these links:

www.gunbroker.com...

www.luckygunner.com...

www.sgammo.com...

www.sportsmansguide.com...

These are the sites I frequently look through.

I hope I'm not violating any rules with these links. Just trying to help.

I was talking to the gal in sporting goods at my useless area china store and she told me that she usually only gets 3 or 4 boxes of the popular calibers in at a time. I mean 3 or 4 individual boxes...
edit on 10-4-2012 by akalepos because: addition

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I've noticed the same in Australia, however it mostly appears to be the more commonly used calibres.

I have a 6.5x55 and have no issues whatsoever obtaining ammo for that. 45-70 is fine yet 357 and 223 is sometimes difficult to source.

My reloading press will keep me supplied should things get worse (except for those tricky rim-fire rounds!).

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Im going to invest in a reloading kit, and bullet casting tools for my 9mm ammo.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
Im going to invest in a reloading kit, and bullet casting tools for my 9mm ammo.

Watch out! That can be a very expensive proposition in the long run. Keep it down to just a couple of calibers and it won't be so bad.

top topics

join