It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teen sells kidney to buy iPhone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Chinese teen sells kidney to buy iPhone

www.abc.net.au

Five people in southern China have been charged with intentional injury in the case of a teenager who sold a kidney so he could buy an iPhone and an iPad.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
How do you buy organs on the black market? (io9.com)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Internet Access More Important Than Sex, Alcohol: BCG Study
edit on 7-4-2012 by TheStev because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What a bizarre thought - trading one of your organs (essentially) for an iPhone.

I think this is really interesting, because it combines a few different issues. There's the issue of black market organ trading (I thought the io9 article recently on 'How do you buy organs on the black market?' that I've linked was quite an interesting insight into this industry)

Then there's the issue of our addiction to technology, such as the recent study that was posted here where 21% of Americans surveyed said they would go a whole year without sex to maintain an internet connection.

And finally there's the extreme interpretation of this concept that occurs to me - is this the start of us becoming cyborgs? If, as a species, we're willing to trade 'unnecessary' organs for technological devices - does it really matter if those devices are surgically implanted into us? Particularly if we're so addicted to our smartphones and tablets that they're basically surgically attached.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-4-2012 by TheStev because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Already covered here....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I blame Iran

second line

so lets attack them now

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Posted here allready.

other thread

vvv

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Pretty sure the rules allow a post in BAN as well as another forum, but admittedly I didn't search all that thoroughly.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The realities of life have changed, even in the most remote locations, humanity is turning its gaze away from the hunter gatherer instinct, and toward the consumerist ethos.

In my opinion, this makes us weak. Unless these technologies can be introduced without erroding our capacity to do for ourselves, the things that make us independant, and powerful as a species, I think that thier use should be limited in order that mankind is still able to fend for itself in a world which may suddenly come under such furious assault from CME and similar solar events, that all our tech may one day collapse.

If such an event happens before we learn to balance our enjoyment and use of technology, with a more strident respect for our bodies and our environment, the things that have actually kept the species going for as long as we have walked the earth, then we are doomed to either become extinct, or severly thinned out, as those of us who have been over immersed in technology, and rely on it for much of our daily existance, find themselves unable to look after themselves, and thier families.

I respect technology for what it can achieve to make life better, and for what it stands for as an achievement of our human race. However, I also respect nature, specifically the nature that has spawned us, the accumulated millenia of growth of this species. While the use of tools and tech has improved many things about life on Earth, we must ensure that it does not send us down an evolutionary cul de sac, and leave us up a lava flow without an asbestos canoe.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
There's probably quite a bit of journalistic licence being used here.The illegal human organ trade has been going on for a VERY long time now and has made a lot of people VERY rich,so just some poor kid selling his vital organs for cash isn't news any more.But throw in a juicy snippet such as he bought an iPad and iPhone with the money (even if he only made the decision what to buy once he had the money in his hands) then it's a lot more sensational and so makes it a much more news worthy story.
Very very sad though no matter which way you look at it,especially in a country like China who actively supports slave labour with companies such as Foxconn who now build Apple products.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The ironic part is that manufacturing an iPhone probably costs a few dollars at most due to the way they are produced in bulk. The actual selling price is several hundred percent higher than the cost of making it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

A mere $8 for the labour.......

iPhone 4S bill of materials
And with the news that Apple are about to become the worlds first trillion dollar company,people still think their products are good value for money?

edit on 7-4-2012 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Um no, not selling any of my body parts for technology. I got enough health issues as is. This shows you what a sad and sorry state the people of China live in, when the government owns the money.

Lets set up a China Spring and overthrow China and make it a Democracy. Arm the chinese rebels! Democratic China NAO!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

Yeah, never mind the fact that the majority of the materials they use are mined up from conflicted nations, and that all the money for the raw materials used ends up in the hands of tin pot dictators, genocidal maniacs, and people who like to order thier military to go round using rape as a tool of oppression.

top topics

join