It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Readers: Post your favorite survival fiction books!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Alas Babylon-Pat Frank
Lucifers Hammer-Niven and Pournelle
These started it for me back
In the 70's and have never been topped
edit on 7-4-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Sp

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Both are written by scientists and although Babylon is a bit dated,being written around 59 when The Russians had to launch their missles from close in on the coasts it's and excellent work,like Hammer,well researched and written,,,, read them both many times over

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I still need to read Heinlein. However, there is one quote of his that I think fits, here; I had it at the top of the Survival spec page on WoWWiki for years.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
When I was a kid, my first survival novel was "My Side of the Mountain", and the same Christmas I got a copy of Camping and Woodcraft by Kephart.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Lucifer's Hammer

The story details a cometary impact on Earth, an end to civilization, and the battle for the future. It encompasses the discovery of the comet, the LA social scene, and a cast of diverse characters whom fate seems to smile upon and allow to survive the massive cataclysm and the resulting tsunamis, plagues, famines and battles amongst scavengers and cannibals.

ETA .. Hot fudge sundae on Tuesday.

(if you read the book you'll understand)

edit on 4/8/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Just because I am a traditional old school kind of guy, my favorites of fiction are....

Robinson Crusoe by Dafoe and The Mysterious Island by Verne.

Both deal with surviving and using scavanged materials and your wits to create a viable lifestyle. Further, the fact that it is done on a 17th and 18th and 19th century level is good food for thought in the event of an EMP or some other event that knocks out the lights.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Tunnel in the sky by Rober A heinlein, Alas babalon I balieve that was frank somebody and down to a sunless sea. the author escapes me at the moment. All great stories centered around survival.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Funny how an oldie like Alas Babylon comes on first and a semi oldie like Lucifiers Hammer comes in second?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I loved Lucifer's Hammer, but it is only my second favorite.

My vote for best of all time has to be Earth Abides by George R. Stewart. Any of you who haven't had the pleasure of reading it, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by shutdownormeltdown

I had forgotten Earth Abides. I liked the first one, detested the sequel.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I don't know if it has been posted yet, but The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z by Max Brooks .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join