It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Just because one cop is bad, it doesn’t mean they all are"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
All I see is a lot of people ignoring the facts
Police brutality rates are growing
and we are doing nothing about it.
sooner or later we are going to need do something.

As I stated in my OP we know enough about human psychology to know that corruption breeds corruption.
Say what you will in defense
but you cant change simple observable human behavior.

OP your posts are dead on. My family has been personally impacted by abusive acts by law enforcement. The police state continues to grow out of control....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

Originally posted by newsoul

I know that there are some police officers who obviously chose the wrong profession. There are some "bad" police officers. There are also some bad doctors, teachers, lawyers, clergymen, bankers, ..........in every profession there are bad people. There are people in every profession who should not be in that profession.

Interesting point. It almost makes sense. Except, police officers are working for the public in the public trust. They hold the balance of life/death in their hands. We, the people, accept that they have to put up with a lot and give a lot of leeway when it comes to apprehending someone who may be a criminal. Unfortunately, this public trust has been abused; taken for granted by those to whom we give that trust. People do not trust police officers anymore, they are afraid of them. This is not because the people are bad or doing things wrong, it is because the officers have mistreated those they are there to protect for so long that what was once allowed by the people, because they trusted the officers, is now demanded by the officers because it is their job and it is "dangerous". I don't put dangerous in quotes because it isn't dangerous, I do that because they use the danger as an excuse to abuse.

While I can appreciate what your husband has been through, I was an LEO some time ago, the crap he has to put up with is no excuse to abuse even on civilian. Not even one.

So, it is not fair, equal or right to attempt to put cops on par with other "professions". It is not the same thing, not even close.

The only people that I know that are afraid of police officers are the criminals or criminal minded. I wasn't looking for sympathy when I posted some of the crap police officers put up with, and I wasn't making excuses for them either, I was simply stating a fact.

Until YOU have been in their shoes, you really have no idea how YOU would respond. Unless you are on the scene, YOU have no idea if they used excessive force or not. You can take the word of the criminal if you would like, but they are usually liars too.

I have already stated that YES there are bad cops, and yes it is fair to put them with other professionals.
This post could easily be about teachers abusing students of taking advantage of them (happens a lot these days) it could be about malpractice (a surgeon is supposed to have their patients best interests in mind) or even priests for that matter. We put our trust in a lot of people who may not be trustworthy.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
All I see is a lot of people ignoring the facts
Police brutality rates are growing
and we are doing nothing about it.
sooner or later we are going to need do something.

As I stated in my OP we know enough about human psychology to know that corruption breeds corruption.
Say what you will in defense
but you cant change simple observable human behavior.

OP your posts are dead on. My family has been personally impacted by abusive acts by law enforcement. The police state continues to grow out of control....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Exactly, what I am saying is not really debatable because we know its how humans behave.

All the pro police side can come up with is crap like 'not another police bashing thread' etc..

They have nothing.

Statistics are showing that police brutality is a growing trend and the longer we ignore it and let it grow the worse it will get and our society will suffer.

Hopefully people can wake up and pressure the good police to make the bad ones act legally.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

You are right about corruption breeding corruption, but it also happens in society. So I'm sure while all the police are sitting around getting more corrupt, society is also sitting around getting more corrupt. I know that in the high drug areas, most of their children are carrying on the family traditions.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

You are right about corruption breeding corruption, but it also happens in society. So I'm sure while all the police are sitting around getting more corrupt, society is also sitting around getting more corrupt. I know that in the high drug areas, most of their children are carrying on the family traditions.

Poverty is the biggest breeder of corruption in society.
Police enforce the system that makes billions of people worldwide live in poverty.

We need to pressure the good cops to put the bad cops back in line and acting legally before the trend of police brutality becomes too strong to stop.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Exactly, what I am saying is not really debatable because we know its how humans behave.

All the pro police side can come up with is crap like 'not another police bashing thread' etc..

They have nothing.

Statistics are showing that police brutality is a growing trend and the longer we ignore it and let it grow the worse it will get and our society will suffer.

Hopefully people can wake up and pressure the good police to make the bad ones act legally.

I agree. I have never had a good experience with law enforcement. My great-grandfather was robbed blind by the "Sheriff of the Year" in Leon County, Florida. It is insane! Read the article that I linked to. Crazy.

I recently worked on a project that involved police officers and they basically admitted to planting drugs on a guy during a DUI stop because he broke up with one of their sisters.

GED power tripping freaks with badges. Sorry but that's the truth 9 times out of 10. Who else would take a job for 29k with a risk of getting shot?

edit on 8-4-2012 by Ace High because: misquote

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
And yet we are guilty by association if we happen to have friends that do something illegal, even if we knew nothing about it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
You want to stop it? Forbid them from recruiting from the armed forces.

That's where I think it really comes from. A lot of cops are ex-military. They've had a certain way beaten into their heads, a way that is extremely inappropriate when not on the battlefield. But it's programming that you can't just wash out, especially since most of them enter so young.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Peace officer equals good. (for the public)
Police officer equals bad. (for the corporation)
How many peace officers are left??
How many police officers are left??
Peace officers = zero
Police officers = All
How many upholding their oath as a Peace officer?? ZERO
How many upholding their oath as a Police officer?? ALL

End of analysis ALL COPS ARE corrupt as they disregard their oath as a peace officer!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The 'good' cops should work - not going to say harder, I'm going to say - even a little bit toward rooting the bad cops out of the force before they expect me buy that.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Posts like yours are the reason that these threads usually devolve. My husband is an educated man and I will tell you, he makes WELL OVER 29K a year.

YES there are some bad ones, but it is not 9 out of 10, that's absurd.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There are two types of criminals. There are the regular thieves and drug users we hear about in the world and there are those who have ties to people in the legal system. the Dishonest sometimes enter into organizations that have influential people in them so they have the pull to get out of trouble if they get caught. Many times they enter into politics because there is a lot of protection in that field. Politics actually attracts the dishonest. Can't you tell, aren't they showing us the truth with their campaign lies. They always say they are going to do something even they know it is impossible. That qualifies as a lie to me. We have been conditioned to believe a lie and justify it because the situation won't allow it. The Politicians should research the possibility beforehand if they are honest. If I were to ever run for presidency I would just tell my followers that I will try to do what I can do to straighten out this mess. I can promise that but no more since I am honest. Just because a person goes to church doesn't make him honest either.

Back to the subject. Cops take a lot of crap and some of their attitude is formed by people always giving them crap. All members of an organization stick together, why should the police be different. Firemen have a bond between them and so do criminals of a group. Start acting like a criminal and people will treat you as a criminal. I have had biker friends and lawyer friends. I have had druggy friends and cops as friends. I have known hookers as friends and also high society people as friends. The friends I choose had one thing in common. I could trust them and they could trust me. I would go to jail or die before I would tell someone wishing to do them harm anything bad about them. I will tell someone to their face nicely if I think they are messing up their life if they are a friend. I cannot let a friend go astray and ruin their life and just talk behind their back. This takes a lot of forethought. Don't try it if you cannot understand how to give good constructive criticism. Otherwise you make enemies of your friends. Talk to them over coffee or tea and slowly transition them to a better life.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Not all gang members are bad.

Police= glorified gangs.

What it breaks down to is "trust".

Which we can't.

Why do I always fell unsafe and in danger when I get pulled over?

I don't trust any of them.
edit on 8-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
cops should be given lie detector tests yearly to find out how corrupt they are and then maybe they would be held accountable for their bullcrap.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You neglect to mention that police brutality comes with disciplinary actions that reflect negatively on a career. You seem to hint that over the top aggression may be a fast-track to the top, yet we see these errors in judment result in the quelling of careers every day. We expect our police to be ready for anything, knowing that indecision may result in their own demise, and that they must reign in their use of force the moment that it becomes non-esential; which we should, but we shouldn't pass judjment on the masses due to the actions of a few.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Posts like yours are the reason that these threads usually devolve. My husband is an educated man and I will tell you, he makes WELL OVER 29K a year.

YES there are some bad ones, but it is not 9 out of 10, that's absurd.

Well its really 10 out of 10 if the good ones are letting the bad ones get away with it.
I understand not all cops are brutalizers,
but they have an obligation as officers of the law to detest crime and arrest criminals.

We see police brutality cases soaring, they types of crimes that would see normal citizens in jail for years but police just keep getting away with it.

The problem will continue to grow if good men like your husband don't stop it.
If they really cared about the law and society they would.
edit on 8-4-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

I know that there are some police officers who obviously chose the wrong profession. There are some "bad" police officers. There are also some bad doctors, teachers, lawyers, clergymen, bankers, ..........in every profession there are bad people. There are people in every profession who should not be in that profession.

Interesting point. It almost makes sense. Except, police officers are working for the public in the public trust. They hold the balance of life/death in their hands. We, the people, accept that they have to put up with a lot and give a lot of leeway when it comes to apprehending someone who may be a criminal. Unfortunately, this public trust has been abused; taken for granted by those to whom we give that trust. People do not trust police officers anymore, they are afraid of them. This is not because the people are bad or doing things wrong, it is because the officers have mistreated those they are there to protect for so long that what was once allowed by the people, because they trusted the officers, is now demanded by the officers because it is their job and it is "dangerous". I don't put dangerous in quotes because it isn't dangerous, I do that because they use the danger as an excuse to abuse.

While I can appreciate what your husband has been through, I was an LEO some time ago, the crap he has to put up with is no excuse to abuse even on civilian. Not even one.

So, it is not fair, equal or right to attempt to put cops on par with other "professions". It is not the same thing, not even close.

The only people that I know that are afraid of police officers are the criminals or criminal minded.

Wow, that sounds pretty draconian of you. So, you are saying we should all submit to police bullying because there is not a need to be worried if we aren't doing anything wrong? Not like they ever make anything up. No. Never

Until YOU have been in their shoes, you really have no idea how YOU would respond. Unless you are on the scene, YOU have no idea if they used excessive force or not. You can take the word of the criminal if you would like, but they are usually liars too.

Perhaps you missed the part where I stated I was an LEO? Guess you let your blind emotions and hatred of all non-cops get in the way of your reading the rest of the post.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Hi.

I was just gonna come in and yell FRATERNITY!
but you nailed it with logic and reasoning! Stuff I can't articulate, but none the less understand...

Forgot to reiterate.
It's hard to smack your brothers hand out of the cookie jar, whether or not you try a cookie yourself.
edit on (4/8/1212 by loveguy because: think of me as onomatopoeia

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

Hi.

I was just gonna come in and yell FRATERNITY!
but you nailed it with logic and reasoning! Stuff I can't articulate, but none the less understand...

Forgot to reiterate.
It's hard to smack your brothers hand out of the cookie jar, whether or not you try a cookie yourself.
edit on (4/8/1212 by loveguy because: think of me as onomatopoeia

Thanks,
its hard enough to do that in general, but even harder when you know the entire police force will disown, belittle, threaten and harass you if you speak out.
Most cops who do get their life and their families lives threatened.

Talk about security nets to let police know they can get away with it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

New Soul please read my thread that I linked to, and you will understand where I am coming from. I have daily interaction with several police officers that more that agree with my assessment.

I hope and pray your husband is "one of the good ones". But I stick by my assessment that they are harder and harder to find.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=13859111#pid13859111

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join